Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

7 hours ago, Omaha fan said:

This thing has broken right down political fault lines for the most part

States that went red in 2016 are playing football: 

Sec-alabama Florida Georgia Tennessee Arkansas South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky Missouri  Texas 

Big 12 all red -Texas Oklahoma Kansas iowa West Virginia 

Acc-red North Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina , Pennsylvania , Florida    
Outlier blues:  New York, Virginia 

no go blues:

pac 12- California, Oregon, Washington, colorado, Arizona 

outlier Red- Utah 

big 10

yeahs - reds - Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio, pennsylvania, Indiana 

nos- tied states: Michigan, Wisconsin 

blues no-new York, Maryland. , Illinois, Minnesota 

So really easy to see why the sec, big 12 and acc we’re so unified to play

we also see why the pac 12 was so unified not to play

Very obvious to see why the big 10 was so split, we Are are not politically homogenous at all like the other conferences.

At the end of the day culturally our country differs a bit from area to area and in some places football is important and in others not so much .  Looks like university presidents either think like their constituants or they just voted for those interests 

So, but for 2 seconds put back on the clock in 2009, you would be playing football in a few weeks.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/20/2020 at 9:25 AM, knapplc said:

Shatel has been doing this since the 1990s. He's one of the main reasons I've never gotten a print subscription to the OWH. Jeff Sheldon's work with the VB team earned them my digital subscription, but you can't pay me to read Shatel's ramblings.

It kills me how well-regarded he is among Nebraska sports journalists. Same with Barfknecht. 

The World Herald breeds that type of writer it seems; one who writes with overt contempt for their own readers. Shatel and Lee are the prime examples; Dirk goes to that well at times, too. 

• Plus1 3

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

We sold our soul for $$$. Everything other than $$$ is window dressing. 

I still prefer the B1G over the hot mess of what the Big 12 was/is.  The one problem with the B1G has always been they are about image over winning.  However, if Delaney was still around I wonder how this would have turned out.

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I still prefer the B1G over the hot mess of what the Big 12 was/is.  The one problem with the B1G has always been they are about image over winning.  However, if Delaney was still around I wonder how this would have turned out.

Watching the schools claim ignorance and watch warren take all the heat has been a prime example of this

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

I agree with the image statement. They just strike me as this better than thou kinda attitude and Nebraska folks are down to earth people. I don’t think the big 10 liked Nebraska much in the past. They were some of those voices that were jealous of our success so claimed we were just in a weak conference. The past conflicts with penn state, Michigan and Iowa the jealous little brother next door. Wisconsin stole our identity with Alvarez there. Nebraska wants championships they are happy with big ten titles. We are mostly republican in Nebraska they seem more liberal. Long travel for games. They have not welcomed us since we got there, it’s like this arranged marriage and it doesn’t work. It’s just an awkward fit. Other than money it makes no sense. 

The other 3 blue bloods are in the other division so we have no true rival on our same level of historical standing. 

I think what I hate most is we will never be respected at the highest level. At least in the BIG12 our voice was one of the most respected Oklahoma, us and Texas. Here we will never be perceived equal to Ohio state and Michigan. Even if we start kicking their a$$ someday 

On 8/21/2020 at 6:27 AM, Bledred said:

Was not a bit much...was exactly what I was thinking.  Very easy to see for someone who takes an extrospective approach.  To highlight this point consider the following:

World War I:  Did not cancel college football

Stock Market Crash of 1929: Did not cancel college football

Great Depression:  Did not cancel college football

Spanish Flu:  Did not cancel college football

World War II:  Did not cancel college football

Korean War:  Did not cancel college football

Hong Kong Virus:  Did not cancel college football

Vietnam War:  Did not cancel college football

Gulf War:  Did not cancel college football

9/11:  Did not cancel college football

Great Recession:  Did not cancel college football

Iraq War:  Did not cancel college football

Afghanistan War:  Did not cancel college football

Bird Flu:  Did not cancel college football

SARS:  Did not cancel college football

Covid-19:  cancel.....cancel....cancel...Cancel...Cancel!...Cancel!....CANCEL!!....CANCEL!!!

Gentile Exodus. 

Football being canceled is just one minor symptoms stemming from a much larger illness.  Sports are not separate from the world and the world is not separate from sports.  We like to think that sports are encased in this untouchable cocoon (as evidenced by the long history pointed out above), but they are not.  They are in the mix along with everything else in the world.  And are subject to being impacted by larger outside forces/movements just like everything else.  

The only meaningful parallel is the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic, and the response looked a lot like it does today: some cancellations, some attempts to play, lots of confusion trying to adjust to a moving target: 

https://saturdayblitz.com/2020/03/22/college-football-navigated-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic/

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The only meaningful parallel is the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic, and the response looked a lot like it does today: some cancellations, some attempts to play, lots of confusion trying to adjust to a moving target: 

https://saturdayblitz.com/2020/03/22/college-football-navigated-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic/

the cancel culture is worse than the infection!  

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 4

hunter49: "the cancel culture is worse than the infection!"

There's something worse than that. Would your favorite football team ever had over its playbook to the entire world?

That's what has happened here with Covid. Now every person on the Earth who wants to mess with the world knows how to do it ay time they want to. Just create a new virus and let it loose and then let everybody fall over in panic over it and have bureaucrats rushing to shut things down. Throw out the rest of the playbook. Everybody's already got the winning play.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
6 minutes ago, Roundball Shaman said:

There's something worse than that. Would your favorite football team ever had over its playbook to the entire world?

That's what has happened here with Covid. Now every person on the Earth who wants to mess with the world knows how to do it ay time they want to. Just create a new virus and let it loose and then let everybody fall over in panic over it and have bureaucrats rushing to shut things down. Throw out the rest of the playbook. Everybody's already got the winning play.

Yes, creating a deadly and highly communicable virus and spreading it around the globe certainly would mess up the world. But hasn't that always been in the playbook, Dr. Evil? 

20 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

the cancel culture is worse than the infection!  

Not sure it matters, but did you read the article?

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Roundball Shaman said:

and indoctrinating an entire generation of kids of how to fall in line, obey the orders, ‘we can protect you’, do what we say. 

I have an 8th and a 10th grader. They are in school 2 days a week. Some of the measures they are taking are just plain stupid. For instance:  you have to walk on arrows down either side of the hall. If you are walking on the right and your class is halfway down on the left side, they make the kids walk to the END OF THE HALLWAY AND DO A U-TURN instead Of cutting across to your class. 

My daughter said both ends of the hallway are bottlenecks and all the kids are crammed in there anyway, making sure-turns! I mean it’s be funny if it weren’t so stupid and bureaucratic 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, I am I said:

and indoctrinating an entire generation of kids of how to fall in line, obey the orders, ‘we can protect you’, do what we say. 

I have an 8th and a 10th grader. They are in school 2 days a week. Some of the measures they are taking are just plain stupid. For instance:  you have to walk on arrows down either side of the hall. If you are walking in the right and your class is halfway down on the left side, they make the kids walk to the END OF THE HALLWAY AND DO A U-TURN instead Of cutting across to your class. 

My daughter said both ends of the hallway are bottlenecks and all the kids are crammed in their anyway, making sure-turns! I mean it’s be funny if it weren’t so stupid and bureaucratic 

On a lesser scale, the 24 hr laundromat started closing at 8pm.  People want to be seen as doing something, even if 'something' herds more people into less space and time.  

As far as sports are concerned, after a university has already decided to open the dormitories and hold live in-person classes, there is no additional risk in playing sports.  But there is a reduced risk brought about by athletes being tested often and a mentality not to let the team down.

• Plus1 1