Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

33 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm so confused in this conversation.  You just did what you accused me of doing.  Where did I say any of that?

As for your last paragraph.  Did I say healthcare workers shouldn't go to work to help save lives?

Still.....nobody has told me why saying most of these people would have died in the next 12-24 months anyway....is pertinent to the conversation.

We have over 200,000 additional deaths just since the pandemic started and the daily death rate has gone up the last three weeks so it's at a level we haven't seen in 2 months.

It's a reality of public health that should be considered.  There are many fragile individuals alive in nursing homes that are vulnerable to any type of threat.  If the 2021 flu has a lower death total then it may say less about the virus and more about the population.

But yes, those vulnerable individuals are not going to be saved by cancelling a football season.  The virus has been clear from the start that efforts should be focused on protecting the elderly and vulnerable and not on futile attempts to quarantine the young and healthy. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

It's a reality of public health that should be considered.  There are many fragile individuals alive in nursing homes that are vulnerable to any type of threat.  If the 2021 flu has a lower death total then it may say less about the virus and more about the population.

Ummmm....just flat out NO on this.

When a virus infects our population and we could have done things to prevent the mass spread that killed hundreds of thousands of people...no matter what condition they are in....that fault is on the leadership and the population that allowed that pathetic leadership fail.

It's not "just a reality of public health".  That's nothing more than an excuse to deflect blame from the people who deserve it.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

This article lays out a scenario where the B1G could realistically start a season as late as Oct. 24th and finish around the same time as the other leagues. Considering they just called the whole thing this is probably unlikely, but if the other leagues have success or virus things change you never know.

BIG TEN

With seven teams in each division, the Big Ten would need seven weekends to complete a division-only schedule. Each team would play a 6-game schedule with one bye week.

With an Oct. 24 start, the Big Ten could complete the regular season by Dec. 5. As was the scenario given with the Pac-12, Dec. 12 could be used as a day for make-up games. Another option would be starting the season on Oct. 31 and finishing the regular season on Dec. 12 with the title game to come on Dec. 19.

The SEC plans on using Dec. 12 as a day to make up any contests while the ACC and Big 12 have listed its championship date for either Dec. 12 or Dec. 19. The Big Ten could use open dates and tentative championship schedules to keep its options open.

As is the case with the Pac-12 slate, this scenario allows the conference’s major rivalries to take place with the exception of the “Little Brown Jug”. We’d still have Ohio State-Michigan, Michigan-Michigan State, Penn State against the Buckeyes and Wolverines, “Paul Bunyan’s Ax”, “Floyd of Rosedale” and the “Old Oaken Bucket”.

https://fifthquarter.net/big-ten/2020/08/13/column-could-division-only-play-be-a-workable-solution-for-big-ten-pac-12-to-play-in-late-fall/?fbclid=IwAR1wU_5OXMk8krLpKELoELW1t0EqJDqHElBfDTfMKgf_x6EezccIQ0iQKqw

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm so confused in this conversation.  You just did what you accused me of doing.  Where did I say any of that?

As for your last paragraph.  Did I say healthcare workers shouldn't go to work to help save lives?

Still.....nobody has told me why saying most of these people would have died in the next 12-24 months anyway....is pertinent to the conversation.

We have over 200,000 additional deaths just since the pandemic started and the daily death rate has gone up the last three weeks so it's at a level we haven't seen in 2 months.

I can see that you are very confused in this conversation - probably best if you step away.  

I didn't accuse you of saying anything - I just agreed with a portion of your post, stating that it sucks when workers die in the line of duty. I then compared healthcare workers to other front line workers (fireman/police officers) and offered an example that is very extreme of how those deaths could be avoided hoping you didn't think that it was a viable option.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

When a virus infects our population and we could have done things to prevent the mass spread that killed hundreds of thousands of people...no matter what condition they are in....that fault is on the leadership and the population that allowed that pathetic leadership fail.

It's not "just a reality of public health".  That's nothing more than an excuse to deflect blame from the people who deserve it.

I don’t think Public Health is here to save individual lives or a small % of lives. That’s what medical doctors are for, and many of those doctors have been handcuffed with career threatening proclamations in the name of politics. We should be preparing for the flu season and it’s going to be especially difficult this fall, considering we currently are trying to live some sterile life. 

There is plenty of blame to go around from Trump, Cuomo, CDC, WHO, Fauci, Birx, and especially China. Hopefully these nations putting pressure on China expose the harm they did globally, on top of what our leaders failed to do. 

The people who are content with shutting down the economy with no end in sight, when we begin to witness spikes in suicides, domestic violence, crime then we will know who to blame, but at the same token, what does that do for us? Nothing. And those people won’t accept responsibility either because who would want to do that? Celebrities wanting limelight with some tacky video?

It amazes me how politicians get this first hand knowledge for months prior to public knowledge and pull their funds out of stock portfolios and don’t face punishment. As much as it amazes that politicians setup a bailout to claim six figure PPP loans for themselves. All while we have gullible people happy with $1200 and an extra $600/claim. And the real money is going to their corporate buddies. Unreal. 

My point? Stop fighting with each other and hold these damn politicians and leaders accountable, not just the ones we don’t like. As others have said, none of these people have sacrificed a darn thing while American small business owners and laborers can’t even run their own business or work and are expected to pay taxes. None of us are getting a damn thing out of this as our media and politicians prance around acting more important than what they are. Maybe because there is something else going on that’s more important because this is becoming more and more like a sideshow right now. 

• Thanks 4
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Fine with me.  I'd like to blame elites who imposed or demanded draconian rules that 

- were pretty impractical, such as limiting store hours and closing tennis courts

- and did not apply to themselves (hair appointments, masks, outdoor activities)

They persuaded the common people that all public health measures are just power grabs be munchkin tyrants.  It's to the point that my friends and neighbors completely ignore the reasonable safety requests such as mask wearing and not partying. 

I file college football cancellation in the IMPRACTICAL column.  There is no argument that playing the sport while taking precautions will have one iota of an effect on public health.  There may be good financial and legal reasons to cancel but those get ignored when they say "It's for the kids!"

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
On 8/14/2020 at 11:54 AM, WyoHusker56 said:

They aren't worried only about a college student dying. They are worried about college athletes catching it, causing an outbreak that kills other students, staff, professors, parents, etc. This decision isn't solely about whether a college football player gets sick or not it's about what happens after a college player gets sick and the liabilities/optics associated with that. Not saying I agree with it, but there is more going into this thought than just if a player gets sick or is worried about getting sick.

If that is truly the case, then college President’s are hypocrites for having on-campus learning. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
On 8/14/2020 at 1:00 PM, BigRedBuster said:

You have somewhat of a point, but I don't totally agree with it.

Players who are NFL prospects aren't going to stick around.  Players who aren't seeing playing time as seniors, aren't going to stick around for another year.  So, while there will be some that do, many won't.  The ones that are most likely to stick around are the ones that are getting good playing time but aren't a good NFL prospect.  That number, relatively, isn't large.  That allows for more freshmen to sign and join the team.

Again, this might affect one...maybe two years of recruiting and I'm not sure it's a devastating situation.  Not perfect, but it's not going to  destroy the program.

You have a case study already in place, College Baseball.  Look how many seniors are sticking around and extrapolate to football sized numbers.   Not perfect, but will give an educated guess vs just throwing speculation out there 

• Plus1 2

Players unhappy that our commissioner never asked the players if they wanted to play. The kids  are also perplexed what exactly changed in the 6 days from when Warren laid out a schedule and said it was ok for his son to play and when he cancelled the season. Warren- Typical elitist, do as I say, not as I do. 

https://wolverineswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/14/michigan-football-hunter-reynolds-fox-news-coronavirus-big-ten-fall-season-postponed/

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You have a case study already in place, College Baseball.  Look how many seniors are sticking around and extrapolate to football sized numbers.   Not perfect, but will give an educated guess vs just throwing speculation out there 

That might be true. However, pro baseball is a totally different animal than football. These kids typically will be playing years in the minor leagues before having a chance at the Bigs. 

Football players go right to the top league. They also have a much higher chance of injury ending their career. 

22 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Because in medicine there is concept called number of expected life years lost.  It has nothing to do with which life is more valuable, hint every life is valuable.   

130,000 people under age of 30 dying suddenly has a different impact on society than 130,000 people over age of 70.   

it doesn’t make it right that one group dies instead of another, but it has different impacts and it’s worth studying and knowing the data.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1