Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

37 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Let me guess you have a career in media.  I said none of that and the picture you painted  reminds me of the level of forde, desmond and wilborn.

Then what does this matter?

You can look at them all you want and they are real.  The point some are making is that these deaths are just happening sooner - the theory is that most of these same individuals would have died within the next 24 months.  It doesn't make their death ok it just makes you wonder if the uptick in most aspects of our world would have been a big enough positive to allow these deaths to happen premature.  It's a tough question and their are fair arguments on both side. 

Why even make that point unless you are saying?...Sorry grandpa.  Thanks for sacrificing.

So, these deaths are happening 12-24 months earlier.  

Nobody has told me why this is a relevant point in this conversation.

And...I must add.  There are one hell of a lot of these deaths that are NOT elderly people who are going to die in the next two years.

Nearly 600 healthcare workers have died of COVID since this all started.  These people aren't elderly that would have died next year.  LINK

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

The cold hard facts are healthy college age kids simply are not dying of Covid 19

The chances of.  College age kid dying in a car accident is 50x more than dying of COVID-19. so if the standard is zero then please ban all auto use. Life is full of risks and the minuscule risk COVID-19 is to these kids pales in response to response. Those that want to play let them. Those that don’t want to, honor their scholarships and let them distance learn. 

They aren't worried only about a college student dying. They are worried about college athletes catching it, causing an outbreak that kills other students, staff, professors, parents, etc. This decision isn't solely about whether a college football player gets sick or not it's about what happens after a college player gets sick and the liabilities/optics associated with that. Not saying I agree with it, but there is more going into this thought than just if a player gets sick or is worried about getting sick.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

They aren't worried only about a college student dying. They are worried about college athletes catching it, causing an outbreak that kills other students, staff, professors, parents, etc. This decision isn't solely about whether a college football player gets sick or not it's about what happens after a college player gets sick and the liabilities/optics associated with that. Not saying I agree with it, but there is more going into this thought than just if a player gets sick or is worried about getting sick.

So at what point do we say it’s acceptable to move in with life? Not challenging or calling anyone out, but I what are the metrics that say, “OK, we’ve achieved this benchmark, we can begin to do this?”

If there isn’t a quantifiable goal to achieve then we don’t have a good plan in place. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

So at what point do we say it’s acceptable to move in with life? Not challenging or calling anyone out, but I what are the metrics that say, “OK, we’ve achieved this benchmark, we can begin to do this?”

If there isn’t a quantifiable goal to achieve then we don’t have a good plan in place. 

Well I suppose that's what the "leaders" in this country are supposed to define regardless of where they are. I mentioned this in another thread, but that's exactly what Kevin Warren and his team should have done. In order to play football we need x amount of testing, local numbers at y level and z protocols in place. They should have had exactly what you're talking about in place and the blow back would have been a lot less if it didn't happen. Instead it was head in the sand until the last minute and then call it all off without any semblance of a cohesive reason why. No wonder people are pissed.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Well I suppose that's what the "leaders" in this country are supposed to define regardless of where they are. I mentioned this in another thread, but that's exactly what Kevin Warren and his team should have done. In order to play football we need x amount of testing, local numbers at y level and z protocols in place. They should have had exactly what you're talking about in place and the blow back would have been a lot less if it didn't happen. Instead it was head in the sand until the last minute and then call it all off without any semblance of a cohesive reason why. No wonder people are pissed.

If we continue to hang in the wind like this, at some point people are going to become restless, masks or no masks, and another clash will begin. We can do all this finger pointing about the past and woulda/coulda/shoulda but people are not even talking about plans to ease back to new normal, just an ambiguous “slow the spread” after it was “give the hospitals a chance.” What is the next big fear that will be stoked? 

Not mention now is the time to speak about preventative health - smoking, diabetes, exercise, etc. - because that was the big factor of contracting or experiencing severe symptoms when this all began. Instead, the narrative is primarily shouting matches about masks. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

I think the affects on recruiting are being over blown.  I saw somewhere where someone said this is going to set us back 10 years.  NOT.....

It may affect this year because kids and their families can't come visit.  However, why would a kid who is going to commit in 2022 give a rip if the conference didn't play in 2020?  ESPECIALLY if we do play in 2021 and the pandemic seems to be under control with a vaccine.

The decision was very disappointing.  However, there's some over reaction that's happening.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

We only have 85 scholarships. How do we even add anyone this season and stay under 85 If all the players are given another year?

Alabama and Clemson aren’t going to agree to let Ohio state have 105 kids on scholarship? Adding one year to all the players eligibility directly impacts the team and roster numbers  for the immediate following 4 years. Only if zero players are added in a recruiting cycle are you able to stay under 85. And if it somehow goes to 105, then per title ix you have to add more money losing women’s sports teams. 

If we can’t add anyone this year we won’t have a senior class one season and gap in upper class men another. these are 18 year old kids who will be told by sec and big 12 recruiters that viruses will come again. Do you want to play in a conference that plays through it or shuts down? 99 percent of 18 year old kids will say play thorough it. Perception and reality on this one are the same. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

We only have 85 scholarships. How do we even add anyone this season and stay under 85 If all the players are given another year?

Alabama and Clemson aren’t going to agree to let Ohio state have 105 kids on scholarship? Adding one year to all the players eligibility directly impacts the team and roster numbers  for the immediate following 4 years. 

If we can’t add anyone this year we won’t have a senior class one season and gap in upper class men another. these are 18 year old kids who will be told, viruses will come again. Do you want to play in a conference that plays through it or shuts down? 99 percent of 18 year old kids will say play thorough it. Perception and reality on this one are the same. 

You have somewhat of a point, but I don't totally agree with it.

Players who are NFL prospects aren't going to stick around.  Players who aren't seeing playing time as seniors, aren't going to stick around for another year.  So, while there will be some that do, many won't.  The ones that are most likely to stick around are the ones that are getting good playing time but aren't a good NFL prospect.  That number, relatively, isn't large.  That allows for more freshmen to sign and join the team.

Again, this might affect one...maybe two years of recruiting and I'm not sure it's a devastating situation.  Not perfect, but it's not going to  destroy the program.

How many players other than maybe jaimes have the resume to be drafted without playing this season?  Which Nebraska seniors get drafted with no season? 

The number of seniors who don’t get a lot of playing time and drop is very very small. Most drop before senior year.

Weve seen in the past with solich, pelini and Riley what one poor recruiting class can do to a team in a 4 year stretch. Just imagine what a 5-7 player recruiting class would do to a team in the middle of a Major rebuild like nebraska? Year 1 was patched together. Year 2-3 got better, but you can’t build a solid team in college football with 50 kids and 2 recruiting classes. 

• Thanks 1

Data has shown that Covid has the greatest impact on those over age 70 or with pre-existing health conditions. The vast majority of young people are fine.  However, the impacts of the lockdowns and closures is taking its toll on the mental health of many Americans, including younger Americans.  One in four under the age of 25 have contemplated suicide during this pandemic.  This is tragic and is not getting the proper visibility it needs to be given.  Closing schools, stores, etc... may prevent some spread of the virus but will have near and long-term psychological impacts for kids and younger adults. 

On a personal note, I know I shared this in another post, but I do not know anybody who has died from the virus itself, but in the past month 2 people from my hometown in their 30s (younger siblings of my high school classmates) have committed suicide.  I am hoping that medical experts and key decision makers are looking at the mental and psychological impacts from this virus just as much if not more than the physical/bodily impacts its having on those who have the virus.  These types of physcological impacts can far outlast the one to two year peak of this virus.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/13/cdc-mental-health-pandemic-394832

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

So let me wrap my head around this, 13 chancellor’s voted to postpone the season, but really didn’t understand that was what they were agreeing to? These people have to be pretty smart people - maybe even a couple of lawyers in the bunch- how do you vote for something so ambiguous if you’re that smart? 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Then what does this matter?

Why even make that point unless you are saying?...Sorry grandpa.  Thanks for sacrificing.

So, these deaths are happening 12-24 months earlier.  

Nobody has told me why this is a relevant point in this conversation.

And...I must add.  There are one hell of a lot of these deaths that are NOT elderly people who are going to die in the next two years.

Nearly 600 healthcare workers have died of COVID since this all started.  These people aren't elderly that would have died next year.  LINK

It sucks that even one healthcare work has died - but this virus happened and not myself or anyone else on this board choose it or wanted it to strart.

Fireman and police officers die daily and again it sucks and was not chosen by us.  Should they step back and let every fire burn itself out.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
4 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

It sucks that even one healthcare work has died - but this virus happened and not myself or anyone else on this board choose it or wanted it to strart.

Fireman and police officers die daily and again it sucks and was not chosen by us.  Should they step back and let every fire burn itself out.

I'm so confused in this conversation.  You just did what you accused me of doing.  Where did I say any of that?

As for your last paragraph.  Did I say healthcare workers shouldn't go to work to help save lives?

Still.....nobody has told me why saying most of these people would have died in the next 12-24 months anyway....is pertinent to the conversation.

We have over 200,000 additional deaths just since the pandemic started and the daily death rate has gone up the last three weeks so it's at a level we haven't seen in 2 months.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1