Censorship

23 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Regardless of your politics, there's a notable difference between private farmland and the social media site millions of people use every day. 

Also, fwiw, Zuckerberg and Bezos aren't exactly beloved by most liberals, and Gates' generally thoughtful charitable causes make him, at best, tolerated. When they make huge acquisitions of any kind, a lot of people do take note and pay attention to what they do with it. That's happening here, but unlike Scott Pressler's pissy little examples, Twitter is a much, much bigger deal. 

As a fellow libtard, I would echo your thoughts, at least regarding the opinion of these people on the left. If the implication is we defend or hold these people up as heroes, well, that's just completely wrong. Also I can state confidently as someone NOT terminally online that regarding Pressler's points:

1. Had no idea (NOT "don't care")
  2. Ditto
  3. Obvious point, not sure what I'm supposed to do with that.
  4. Reserving judgment (NOT "fascism")

Right wing media forgets the bubble it exists in sometimes.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Huh? Was Alex Berenson talking about the COVID vaccine?  That's a clever choice of words, but it is indeed misleading, and pretty much the opposite of insanity. 

Yes, he was referring to the vaccine, and it got him banned.

Not sure, but I believe every point came true. How is that dangerous misinformation?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
21 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Yes, he was referring to the vaccine, and it got him banned.

Not sure, but I believe every point came true. How is that dangerous misinformation?

According to what source do we know that that tweet and only that tweet is the direct reason he got banned.

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

That's what the Twitter verse says. 

You have other info?

According to the first google result when I searched his name + twitter, I got this: 

“The account was permanently suspended for repeated violations of our COVID-19 misinformation rules,” a Twitter spokesperson said in a statement to The Hill

So for starters if we're gonna have a serious conversation about people being unrightfully banned, we should look at ALL that went into it and not just the final straw. 

6 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

According to the first google result when I searched his name + twitter, I got this: 

So for starters if we're gonna have a serious conversation about people being unrightfully banned, we should look at ALL that went into it and not just the final straw. 

Thanks for googling.

Did your search give examples? Because the proverbial straw was certainly not misinformation. Repeated violations according to Twitter...but maybe all true...?

And that's the problem a lot of people hope Elon fixes.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3

I heard that conservative Twitter accounts started massively increasing in followers last night. Of course the theory was that Twitter had been suppressing conservative users reach,, but this article suggests it Is an influx of conservative users (and outgoing liberal users) according to Twitter.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/twitter-follower-count-fluctuations-not-automated

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, nic said:

I heard that conservative Twitter accounts started massively increasing in followers last night. Of course the theory was that Twitter had been suppressing conservative users reach,, but this article suggests it Is an influx of conservative users (and outgoing liberal users) according to Twitter.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/twitter-follower-count-fluctuations-not-automated

I would bet also a ton of freaking Russian bots. 

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

16 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

If you read the first sentence, he tells you what he means. You're just here trying to muddy the waters and apply your own presuppositions to what he's saying

You presuppose to know how an Elon-owned Twitter is going to be managed moving forward even though his tweet (whether on accident or on purpose) literally leaves room for interpretation. They're his words, not mine. 

The only thing hysterical, perhaps even naive, would be failing to leave open the possibility that we don't know everything and there may be room for nuance. 

4 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

And that's the problem a lot of people hope Elon fixes.

Elon's going to be for those people what Mueller was for anti-trumpers. 

I think a lot of people need to get ready to be disappointed. Elon Musk is not white-knighting for the little guy here. And he's not going to jilt his creditors by destroying his $50 billion investment.

My guess is a lot less things change than people think. And Elon may have just grabbed the tiger by the tail. 

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It hits a sore spot because one million Americans died from Covid, many of them because of misinformation like the nonsense about ivermectin. 

How can people not care about that? That's baffling.

I don't think 1 million people died because of Ivermectin. I know some who died because they chose not to get a Vax or use common sense if they were at risk. That was their choice. I feel bad, but all I could do is give an opinion if they asked. I wasn't going to try and force them to make a good decision. I don't know anyone personally that tried Ivermectin, but their medical history is their business not mine. There was nonsensical stuff being pushed by both sides. It was crazy.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1