Northwestern Takeaways

BIG ERN

Red zone offense must improve.  Now.  Frost knows this.

Not having Jurgens hurt today.  OL wasn't sharp, and the center leads the way.

Quarterback controversies are tough.  Well, except on message boards.

When Frost indicates we're close to turning a corner, I'd agree.

LB play is night and day better than last season.  Props to Ruud.

As young of a team as we are, the future couldn't be more bright.

We still need to finish drives.  Now 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

42 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I'll keep it simple.

1. Luke is better than Martinez. AM is now the back up. It's clearly evident and I won't hear otherwise 
  2. Frost continues to be one of the worst red zone play callers I've ever witnessed...442 total yards and end up with 13 points. 6 or 7 red zone trips!!! 13 points  
  3. Chinander still loves to lay off on crucial 3rd downs. NW is the worst offense in the B10. Thrive off turnovers and field position 
  4. Reimer and Henrich should be on the field. Period 
  5. Who in God's name teaches our secondary players to tackle?? So many piss poor attempts where they don't even attempt to wrap up
  6. Our future at WR is promising. Fleming, Betts, Wandale - odd that Brown didn't get much PT this game 
  7. Ty Robinson has the sauce 
  8. Props to Farmer for stepping up. Lacks some speed but made some big plays 
  9. Penalties. Penalties. Penalties. 17 in two games
  10. Special teams was abysmal today. Bad punts. Horrible coverage. Missed FG 

7 of those 13 were gifted by the defense who gave them the ball on the 5 

Time to play the young guys. Enough with the walk on wide receivers. Put Betts, Brown and Flemming in they've made more plays each than the walk ons combined. Who gives a crap if they can't block. What's gonna happen we lose ugly? Already there. Same on defense. More Farmer and others. Dismuke can't tackle and honestly Bootle just jogs over later and taps the guy on the ground. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

I can see that Martinez is getting most of the blame, but our inability to score in the red zone is just some really stupid football. Not that they would mean anything anyway, but I don't even have many suggestions other than to start Luke and roll him out more maybe.

Watching plays like that 2nd & goal from the 2 get stuffed is unbearable.

• Plus1 3

Don't understand why Manning didn't see more targets. I don't understand why Manning, Fleming and Betts aren't on the field for 80% of the snaps. I think the offense could be good if we had some threat of a passing game. The defense looks solid. Front 7 is a strength and thats what you need in this conference. We are getting there on defense but still a ways to go. An offense that scored points would be helpful. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The defense looks solid. Front 7 is a strength and thats what you need in this conference. We are getting there on defense but still a ways to go. An offense that scored points would be helpful. 

Totally agree. I have to really give Chinander a lot of credit. Regardless of how low Northwestern ranks in the conference offensively, we should be able to put up 24 points in a conference game on offense when your defense gives you two interceptions. I know we scored off of the one...but still - 13 points?

We missed Jurgens today, there's no doubt there. But Scott is going to have to do something different or he'll run the risk of that "Bo Pelini Syndrome" type of thing where stubbornness makes him just run the same thing back over and over when it clearly isn't working. And I can't believe I'm saying that.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Time to play the young guys. Enough with the walk on wide receivers. Put Betts, Brown and Flemming in they've made more plays each than the walk ons combined. Who gives a crap if they can't block. What's gonna happen we lose ugly? Already there. Same on defense. More Farmer and others. Dismuke can't tackle and honestly Bootle just jogs over later and taps the guy on the ground. 

Agree. Play the young guys over the experienced older guys. Sure guys in there first and second year will make mistakes but when the experienced guys are the one getting called for penalties, turning it over and not getting open whats the difference. At least the young guys can build from the experience where as the other guys wont be here for much longer.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Frost is already doing this.  McCaffrey just made them look better than Martinez.

I don't envy Frost on the quarterback situation right now.

• Haha 1