Time to go back to the option/power offense

We clearly can't throw the ball.  We don't, and won't, have the skill players outside.  Our strengths are the O-line, RB's and TE's.  Our QB's can run.  Why don't we take advantage of our strengths, eliminate our weaknesses, and go back to what we're good at.  We ran some option last year against, I believe, at least Wisconsin and Ohio St, and it worked the few times we ran it.  In fact Ohio St had to call a timeout because they couldn't stop it.  We'll never be able to recruit the type of outside skill players and throwing QB's that are needed for this West Coast offense.  Wing, Power, Option . . . let's go back to Nebraska football instead of trying to keep up with the Jones'.  This 20 year experiment has clearly failed.  

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, HunterHusker said:

We clearly can't throw the ball.  We don't, and won't, have the skill players outside.  Our strengths are the O-line, RB's and TE's.  Our QB's can run.  Why don't we take advantage of our strengths, eliminate our weaknesses, and go back to what we're good at.  We ran some option last year against, I believe, at least Wisconsin and Ohio St, and it worked the few times we ran it.  In fact Ohio St had to call a timeout because they couldn't stop it.  We'll never be able to recruit the type of outside skill players and throwing QB's that are needed for this West Coast offense.  Wing, Power, Option . . . let's go back to Nebraska football instead of trying to keep up with the Jones'.  This 20 year experiment has clearly failed.  

I posted this on Saturday. More specifically if Frost is given 2-3 more years and were still garbage - we should hire an option coach and embrace our past. Hell if Paul Johnson can bring the option to Ga Tech and win 7-8 games a year and make a couple orange bowls - I bet we could have similar results. 

• Fire 1

Put Wan'Dale and McCaffrey at the double wings, Adrian at QB, Dedrick at RB, and Omar Manning/Warner at the outside ( or with Stoll/Allen in there instead of 2 WR).  Have our best offensive weapons on the field at all times.  I suspect we could do some damage on the ground and through the air with that lineup (at least more than production than we're getting now).  Lots of flexibility as well.  

• Haha 1

Because of lockdown I can proudly say I watched every game that was possible on YouTube from 1991-2001. Also watched multiple games from 2002-2012, and watched a few of old ones from 70-80s. 

Starting in like 1983 or so TO ran mostly I-formation. Then he went 4 wide a lot, double wing, motion to trips, twins a crap ton to the wide side, etc etc (Around 92-93ish)...over and over the announcers would comment that “the difficultly in prepping for Nebraska is that they run their power game so well. But also throw in multiple formations and sets and actually spread teams out a lot.”  Good base, multiple formations, similar plays but spread out vs the base I-form. 

basically, don’t forget when TO hit his stride 91-97 he had his base power plays and formations but ran 6-8 other formations that built mismatches and scheme problems for opponents.  But there was a core, a system of plays from every formation. Then expanded from there. Also, he was a f#&%ing master play caller. Maybe the best ever? 

return to a “triple option, 4 formation set?” Hell no!! (Which is mostly what TO had from 82-90). 

Frost needs to have a base that works and build multiple layers on top of that. For instance...where the f#&% is the uptempo, snap it every 27 seconds base? Or the quick draw, sprint option, make a read on the DE/OLB quick hit RPO base (once they have dime in) to a lead power from formation to motion power base? What is the BASE and contiguous levels built on them? 

we are on our heels instead of putting defenses  on theirs IMHO. What is our PRESS? Whether Power or Tempo.  Muscle or Speed. What do we DO that is the best and build layers on that? 

I don’t know the answer, I just know we don’t have a base and don’t seem to have layers built on it. 

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, I am I said:

Because of lockdown I can proudly say I watched every game that was possible on YouTube from 1991-2001. Also watched multiple games from 2002-2012, and watched a few of old ones from 70-80s. 

Starting in like 1983 or so TO ran mostly I-formation. Then he went 4 wide a lot, double wing, motion to trips, twins a crap ton to the wide side, etc etc (Around 92-93ish)...over and over the announcers would comment that “the difficultly in prepping for Nebraska is that they run their power game so well. But also throw in multiple formations and sets and actually spread teams out a lot.”  Good base, multiple formations, similar plays but spread out vs the base I-form. 

basically, don’t forget when TO hit his stride 91-97 he had his base power plays and formations but ran 6-8 other formations that built mismatches and scheme problems for opponents.  But there was a core, a system of plays from every formation. Then expanded from there. Also, he was a f#&%ing master play caller. Maybe the best ever? 

return to a “triple option, 4 formation set?” Hell no!! (Which is mostly what TO had from 82-90). 

Frost needs to have a base that works and build multiple layers on top of that. For instance...where the f#&% is the uptempo, snap it every 27 seconds base? Or the quick draw, sprint option, make a read on the DE/OLB quick hit RPO base (once they have dime in) to a lead power from formation to motion power base? What is the BASE and contiguous levels built on them? 

we are on our heels instead of putting defenses  on theirs IMHO. What is our PRESS? Whether Power or Tempo.  Muscle or Speed. What do we DO that is the best and build layers on that? 

I don’t know the answer, I just know we don’t have a base and don’t seem to have layers built on it. 

if I remember correctly, Osborne also transitioned from size to speed on defense at the urging of Bobby Bowden when FSU came to Lincoln to see the best weight/nutrition proram in the country at the time. now everyone has that. That was the final piece to Osbornes puzzle to start winning big games. Not sure that offense will work anymore....this "go back to the option" thread has been discussed on and off for literally decades around here now.