Penn State Week Pressers

knapplc

8 minutes ago, Toe said:

Except that didn't happen right away. In his first year there, he had only 15 catches all season - not exactly #1 in the country material. But people here are expecting him to know all of our system right away, despite missing a ton of practice.

Not expecting him to know "all of our system", I expect the staff to get creative in order to get our most talented players on the field. When 2 of our starting WRs are averaging a combined 13.5 yards a game, that's a problem that affects the entire offense. CFB is so talent driven, the team with the most 5 stars is the team that wins the conference. Frost needs to find a way to get them involved, it might be bumpy but it's a step they need to take to win games.

Question--if our athletic WRs aren't able to get onto the field because they don't know the playbook...don't we have a group of capable TEs that *do* know the playbook that we could use?

I mean, if it works for teams like Iowa to move the ball downfield using just TEs for 70%+ of their passing plays during a game, why can't we see more TE passing plays worked into this offense to compensate for our lack of WR depth/ability/readiness? (Re)watching the Northwestern game, I really didn't see the TEs involved except for a couple of times...

...now if I'm missing some because of errant throws or broken plays, that's my bad. But we've heard about how great our TEs are, and they're experienced, why not put the ball in their hands (more than just a few times--like double digits). 

Just now, VectorVictor said:

Question--if our athletic WRs aren't able to get onto the field because they don't know the playbook...don't we have a group of capable TEs that *do* know the playbook that we could use?

I mean, if it works for teams like Iowa to move the ball downfield using just TEs, why can't we see more TE passing plays worked into this offense to compensate for our lack of WR depth/ability/readiness? (Re)watching the Northwestern game, I really didn't see the TEs involved except for a couple of times...

...now if I'm missing some because of errant throws or broken plays, that's my bad. But we've heard about how great our TEs are, and they're experienced, why not put the ball in their hands (more than just a few times--like double digits). 

i felt like 75% of the passes were intended for our TE's

• Plus1 6

31 minutes ago, Decked said:

Stoll being out is a huge deal. 

And that's what kills me. The off season  "we are so deep at TE", "the TE will be solid" blah, blah, blah.....4 TE's and we lose 1 and now it's a huge deal.  That's 100% squarely on the staff......Next man up....and we have no plan.....That's my perception.....

Much like Cam, he goes out so in anticipation, we cross train Matt instead of Will.  Matt gets the start.....We didn't have a #2 that didn't consist of changing our starting front that much....That's planning......that's preparation......

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, lo country said:

And that's what kills me. The off season  "we are so deep at TE", "the TE will be solid" blah, blah, blah.....4 TE's and we lose 1 and now it's a huge deal.  That's 100% squarely on the staff......Next man up....and we have no plan.....That's my perception.....

Much like Cam, he goes out so in anticipation, we cross train Matt instead of Will.  Matt gets the start.....We didn't have a #2 that didn't consist of changing our starting front that much....That's planning......that's preparation......

We did have a plan.  Matt had been working on snapping for months.  So we were planning and prepared.  Will isn't ready to go yet.

56 minutes ago, lo country said:

To be fair I do think Stoll was a pretty clear #1 and obviously Jurgens was as well.  I think not having both of them causes a pretty vast change of plans at both positions

• Plus1 1

Did not know Will was still a work in progress.

10 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

To be fair I do think Stoll was a pretty clear #1 and obviously Jurgens was as well.  I think not having both of them causes a pretty vast change of plans at both positions

I'd have thought after another year in the system the other guys would be a lot closer....IMO, a concern on the whole development thing.

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We did have a plan.  Matt had been working on snapping for months.  So we were planning and prepared.  Will isn't ready to go yet.

Thanks.  Didn't know Will was still a work in progress. Was hoping he'd be further along in year 2...

6 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'd have thought after another year in the system the other guys would be a lot closer....IMO, a concern on the whole development thing.

Thanks.  Didn't know Will was still a work in progress. Was hoping he'd be further along in year 2...

Personally I think it's a talent thing.  Stoll and Jurgens are just better.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think Jurgens is close to all conference caliber.  There's going to be a drop off from that