PFF Ranks all 127 Offensive Lines in D1

knapplc

I'm with @BigRedBuster (won't let me quote for some reason), our OL hasn't been great but I don't buy 94th or their ratings in general. Some are easy to point to - a bad snap, missing a one on one block resulting in a sack fumble. But I imagine they are also getting dinged for things that are not their fault. Frost mentioned Iowa "guessed right" on some blitzes, and I think the PFF guys tend to ding the lineman responsible without considering whether it's a block anyone could make. Scheme putting them in a bad position isn't accounted for uniformly, and neither is quality of competition. I'm sure Marshall's offensive line is good (quite possibly better than ours), but do you really think they're 6th  best in the country if they play any P5 teams? Would Air Force be 13th if they played anyone good? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I see this as more of an “indictment “ of the entire offense this season.  Not just the line.  Receivers could get better,  RB room hit hard with injuries and youth, QB play inconsistent and finally some questionable coaching calls.  Basically as mentioned before, all these things sort of perpetuate each other in a negative manner.  

@bugeater17, I do recall Austin rotating a decent amount so far this season as Pieper & Wilson have been rotating with each other a fair amount. I also thought I remember seeing Corcoran, Bando, Will Farniok, Gaylord & Sichterman make some appearances.

One of my biggest frustrations with Cav when he was coaching for Riley's teams was that he did not develop talent whatsoever. He essentially refused to rotate players in and if you started game one, there was a good shot you'd start the rest of the season. Unfortunately, that lack of talent development is still playing out as several of the guys with 3+ years here have never played regularly for us and have now been passed over by the guys who have been here less than a year and a half. Currently, the play has been obviously infuriating. That said, I think we'll be better next fall but really take a leap in 2022. 

• Plus1 2

It's really the interior line that's killing us, IMO. I don't care all that much about how PFF grades out Benhart - in my opinion he has played some solid ball for a redshirt freshman.

But Farniok really isn't contributing more for us as a Guard than as a Tackle, Jurgens is struggling a lot, and it doesn't seem to matter who's playing Left Guard...the interior line is just bad.

• Fire 1

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-127-fbs-offensive-lines-through-cfb-week-13

Add a coach that needs to go......This team has a ways to go.  And the OL was to be the strength of the team....Wow

94. NEBRASKA

Left tackle Brenden Jaimes was the only Cornhusker offensive lineman with any high hopes of good play this season and that’s exactly been the case so far. Jaimes hasn’t been nearly as good as what he was last year in pass protection when he earned an 88.1 grade in that facet, but he has still been good relative to his counterparts. The left tackle has recorded a 75.4 pass-block grade this year and allowed the fifth-lowest pressure rate among Big Ten tackles at 1.9%. As for everyone else on Nebraska’s offensive line, they have allowed over twice the pressure rate of Jaimes and are all under a 60.0 pass-block grade for the year.

• Plus1 1

Just superficial observation, but I've been okay with Jameis, Barnhart & even Piper since he replaced Wilson. Farniok has sadly been a pylon at times, some of which I really think has to be out on S&C.  He should not be trying to carry 330 as he's lost all his nimbleness.  And Jurgens has arguably been the weakest link on the whole offensive unit.  I'm all for giving kids multiple chances but the young man has repeatedly demonstrated that in live games (which is far more important than practice), he cannot reliably snap the ball.  So to Coach Frost's comment he has too much athleticism to keep off the field?  Fine, but it can't be at center.  Plug him in a left guard or right guard and let Farniok and Piper fight it out for the center position.  My frustration with Frost is I'd be willing to wager that Jurgens got first team snaps at center again, instead of using the week to prepare someone else.  Fingers crossed (and a hat tip to Coach Frost) if he proves me wrong.  I sooooo hope he proves me wrong....

• Fire 1

Watching the o-line recruits Frost has brought in the last two years, it shouldn't be long before we see the fruits of the recruiting. These kids are all 6'6" or taller all ready caring some good weight, and should benefit from the weight room by next year, and getting some playing time this year. I don't know for sure, but we might have the biggest o-line in the B1G in a year or two. The pipe-line might be starting, I think. 

GBR!!!

• Plus1 3