Purdue - what did we learn?

1.  It appears that for whatever reason, Matt Lubick got his first opportunity to call some plays and appeared to do a damn good job at it.  Here's hoping that continues.

2.  Regardless of the improvement in the playcalling, it still doesn't work if individual players don't execute.  So kudos first to Jurgens and AM who both had to play solid games, and they did.  Others on the offense earning a shout out include Robinson, Jamies, Betts and Mills amongst others.  

3. I know that bagging on Chin is kind of a sport around here, but given his talent I continue to think his unit has been the most consistent all season.  Three areas of improvement: i) Stop the safety blitz from 20 yards away.  If he wants to blitz your safety, he needs to cheat them up to the LOS, ii) The cushions on the WR's need to tighten up as they're just too big, iii) He needs to start pulling guys off the field when they dive at feet and don't wrap up.  Missed tackles by individual players have regularly undone what the other 10 defenders on the field did right.  It needs to stop.  But hat tip to the whole unit.  The way they stuffed the run today was a thing of beauty.

4. Kudos to the special teams today.  There was obviously room for improvement, but the long field goal, the punt block, and the kick-offs were all things to build on going forward.

All in all, good game.  Super happy for the kids.  They deserved a win and got one.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

The penalty yards were really bad (again) - but no turnovers. Martinez is learning to hold onto the ball really well when he's running and he's making good decisions on where he throws the ball. I feel like he's gotten basically no credit for either of those two things the past couple games.

Bootle also has to get props for doing fairly well keeping with Moore when he was asked to pick him up in man coverage.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Our defense is solid against bad offenses. 

We are atrocious at penalties, but Purdue was some how worse. 

We still need to run the ball more.  

Everyone in the B1G has two wins except OSU, Indiana, NW, and Iowa.  With Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Illinois and NU at 2-4.  How are the bowl games going to shake out again?