Minnesota- What did we learn?

seaofred92

9 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

8. Speaking of needing a better pass rush- it’s the exact reason NU ranks 100 out of 127 in third down defense and gives up a first down 46% of the time. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a P5 team other than maybe Vanderbilt be as inept as we are in obvious passing situations, but it stems from the inability to get pressure on the QB. This same thing has plagued NU since Randy Gregory left, how we haven’t been able to land a premier pass rusher blows my mind but we won’t get better at third down defense until we find one. NU has forced 4 total three and outs the last three games- and one of those was Illinois’ backups running the ball to run the clock out at the end of that game. The lack of pass rush is a large large piece of this

Excellent post overall.  #8 is painful.

Our offense is sputtering.  I’d like Milton to come play here.  Sure it might not work, he’s been injured, etc.  But it sure would bring some excitement to a program who needs it badly.  We’d really see if Frost’s offense can work with the key trigger man running it.  I really like AM and Luke both.  AM is a great backup option we’d have. Luke is not a QB and we absolutely need him on the field in other ways.  Milton, AM, Smothers is your depth at QB.  Pretty good IMO to contend in our division.

The defense was more fun to watch this year.  I can see overall improvement/progress.  Badly need a pass rusher still.  We tackled better.  The defense was what I expected this year but the offense put us in holes.  The defense gave up some points but our offense was billed to out score opponents and we missed that mark big time.  We are supposed to put up 40+ on Minny, Illinois and others. Where were the games we won 40-27 or 41-31?  Didn’t happen and that to me was on the offense.

The defense played well enough for a 4-3 record, not 2-5.  If the offense played as advertised we should have been 4-3 or reached 5-2.  To me the offense was the weak link.  

2020 was almost like a glorified practice season.  Not having like 25% attendance in the stands was just stupid and not science.  It made the games feel lackluster.  It did show us a lot of who can play and who and where we need to upgrade. 

I do think it’s going to be Milton because he could have a instant spark.  I don’t disagree with those that want more power running and a different offense but we can’t change now for what we are building and recruiting for.  Wandale has been a key piece in the scheme.  Now add Milton to bump it to the next level and keep building.  Not easy but this is what we are committed to.

GBR

• Plus1 1

What I learned:

The B1G is never gonna adjust to us....its gonna have to be the other way around if we're gonna be successful. B1G teams have trampled us since we joined the League. Pelini tried to bring his defense and got b!^@h slapped. Riley tried to bring his Pac12 pro style offense, and got trampled. Frost tried to bring his UCFast offense and has been owned. WE are the ones that need to adjust.  

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

What I learned:

The B1G is never gonna adjust to us....its gonna have to be the other way around if we're gonna be successful. B1G teams have trampled us since we joined the League. Pelini tried to bring his defense and got b!^@h slapped. Riley tried to bring his Pac12 pro style offense, and got trampled. Frost tried to bring his UCFast offense and has been owned. WE are the ones that need to adjust.  

At this point I am not sure we are going to adjust to the big ten either 

I learned the staff is completely incompetent 

I have at least some faith in chins cause the defense has not been bad actually has gotten better.

Offense is f******** trash.

Martinez has room temperature iq at best.

Scott Frost can take his offense and shove it up his a**

Keep Frost only if he goes to the triple option I've seen chick flicks more entertaining then this offense

• Haha 1