Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I don't think this is true. The fact Frost thought it was worth a try to let Luke get a start and come in for multiple series all year is a good sign Frost wasn't sold on Mart this year. I think you would agree with me Freshman Martinez you were not taking him out of the game EVER. 

If we had a backup that year then he maybe gets pulled in the Michigan game. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I don't think this is true. The fact Frost thought it was worth a try to let Luke get a start and come in for multiple series all year is a good sign Frost wasn't sold on Mart this year. I think you would agree with me Freshman Martinez you were not taking him out of the game EVER. 

Eh, mostly because taking him out meant putting Bunch in - no offense to Bunch. We have different expectations for a freshman quarterback, and he had a different team around him. 

1 minute ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

If we had a backup that year then he maybe gets pulled in the Michigan game. 

We did pull him (and then had to put him back in when the backup got hurt), but it was more to protect him than anything - the entire team was outclassed.

As far as Luke starting, we'll unfortunately never know exactly what happened but it feels like it kind of spiraled on Frost. I do buy that Luke was impressive in practice, from what I remember putting him in at NW was looking for a spark more than Martinez being terrible. He was not playing well, but his stat line compares favorably to Fields - they shut QBs down. Then Luke did have a spark, so they decided to give him a shot. Once he won against Penn State (where I imagine Martinez would have as well), how do you bench him? Then once Illinois happened public perception was back on Martinez's side, but just seems like once he did provide something of a spark against NW they couldn't turn back until it imploded. That's probably not exactly what happened, but I think Frost went out of his way to avoid the perception of quick hooks on the QBs over what gave us the best chance to win. 

You can always bubble screen your way to a 70% completion rate, but two other things have to happen: it opens up your vertical running lanes and mid-range passing game.

My understanding is that QB ratings are heavily weighted on two metrics: TD/Interception ratio, and average yards per pass attempt. Nebraska's YPA have been pretty low for years. They were really high when we were a run-first offense and our QBs were 50% completion guys. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You can always bubble screen your way to a 70% completion rate, but two other things have to happen: it opens up your vertical running lanes and mid-range passing game.

My understanding is that QB ratings are heavily weighted on two metrics: TD/Interception ratio, and average yards per pass attempt. Nebraska's YPA have been pretty low for years. They were really high when we were a run-first offense and our QBs were 50% completion guys. 

I have it on good authority that Martinez cannot throw a bubble screen, so not sure how he's getting to 70%+. 

I think you're right though, although that's some of why they're pushing new stats like QBR. I don't actually like QBR any better than the old rating, but in theory it corrects some of the shortcomings. If the plays called are short throws and the receivers don't get a lot of YAC, is that low YPA on the QB? It is if the deeper routes are called and he's missing them or not throwing them, but that's hard to account for. Definitely happened at times this year. But I don't know how to split the blame for the low YPA between the QB, receivers, and playcallers - they all share some of it at least.

41 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I don't think this is true. 

I do.  I believe Frost knew the limitations of the other players on offense and thought maybe, Luke would be able to do more in the QB running game.  It had to be clear in practice that Luke was not a better passer.

When you look at the year as a whole, he as as good or better this year than his freshman year.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think you're right though, although that's some of why they're pushing new stats like QBR. I don't actually like QBR any better than the old rating, but in theory it corrects some of the shortcomings. If the plays called are short throws and the receivers don't get a lot of YAC, is that low YPA on the QB? It is if the deeper routes are called and he's missing them or not throwing them, but that's hard to account for. Definitely happened at times this year. But I don't know how to split the blame for the low YPA between the QB, receivers, and playcallers - they all share some of it at least.

YPA accounts - at least to some extent - for not gaining many as many yards throwing shorter passes as opposed to down-field shots.  The YPA was down this year but not really all that much.  When you combine the number of attempts per game with the decrease in YPA, the difference is only about 12 yards per game.  I kind of thought their would be a bigger disparity in YPA but the relatively large increase in completion percentage made up for a lot of that.

I wanted to include QBR but I could only find it on a per-game basis, not for the year as a whole.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

When you look at the year as a whole, he as as good or better this year than his freshman year.

When it’s up for debate on whether a QB was as good or possibly a little better in his 3rd of starting/junior year than in his true freshman year of starting, that is all you need to know on whether or not AM played good enough.  It shouldn’t be up for debate in someone’s third year at the QB position in college. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

When it’s up for debate on whether a QB was as good or possibly a little better in his 3rd of starting/junior year than in his true freshman year of starting, that is all you need to know on whether or not AM played good enough.  It shouldn’t be up for debate in someone’s third year at the QB position in college. 

Meh, it's only up for debate from people who insist counting stats and "the eye test" (but only their eye test, not anyone who disagrees) are the only measures that count. When healthy last year, he was a better QB than he was as a freshman. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Meh, it's only up for debate from people who insist counting stats and "the eye test" (but only their eye test, not anyone who disagrees) are the only measures that count. When healthy last year, he was a better QB than he was as a freshman. 

And the “health” issue seems to be a continuing theme for AM.  Will the fourth year be the year he stays ‘healthy’ which is part of playing football at a high level.  
If the person playing the most important position in sports can’t stay healthy and play suffers because of it, can the team have a sustainable quality offense?  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

The only people who think it's up for debate are the people who think he still sucked this year.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, uberism said:

Will Levis, the PSU QB that played against Nebraska, is in the portal. Sounds like he is going to be a grad transfer with 3 years left to play. I'd take a look at this one close if I were Frost. 

https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/board/18/Contents/penn-state-qb-will-levis-plans-to-transfer-160109648/

Isn’t he the reason we won that game? 

• Thanks 2