Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

26 minutes ago, uberism said:

Will Levis, the PSU QB that played against Nebraska, is in the portal. Sounds like he is going to be a grad transfer with 3 years left to play. I'd take a look at this one close if I were Frost. 

https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/board/18/Contents/penn-state-qb-will-levis-plans-to-transfer-160109648/

He was more of a runner instead of a passer and was 14/31 against us and career average of around 60% passer. Pass

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Hard pass on Levis. Take away a busted coverage and he was 13-30 for 145 yards against us. He ran fairly tough, but it was still just 3.4 YPC - and we were daring them to try and run their way back into the game. Which they admittedly almost did, but that had more to do with our offense taking the second half off than Penn State's offense being great. 

45 minutes ago, uberism said:

What I would do since the senior defenders came back, and Avante is heading to Oregon, bring in 2 more offensive weapons to provide Smothers and Martinez with more options. 

I agree. I do think though we have many key pieces on the roster. It is the staff's job to get them ready and on the field. Just a few names that have elite talent we just need to keep them healthy, get them mentally ready and on the field. 

1. Omar Manning

2. Zavier Betts

3. Ronald Thompkins

4. New FCS All American transfer from Montana

5. Thomas Fidone

6. USC transfer RB

7. Many of our young OL players develop in the off season. 

I really think the pieces are here. Can the staff mold this talent to give us a team to be proud of this year.

• Plus1 7
Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

I agree. I do think though we have many key pieces on the roster. It is the staff's job to get them ready and on the field. Just a few names that have elite talent we just need to keep them healthy, get them mentally ready and on the field. 

1. Omar Manning

2. Zavier Betts

3. Ronald Thompkins

5. Thomas Fidone

6. USC transfer RB

I really think the pieces are here. Can the staff mold this talent to give us a team to be proud of this year.

I really like the optimism of this post and of our fanbase at-large, and had this been drafted 3 years ago following Coach Frost's time at UCF, I would have bought in.

Having said that, aside from the FCS All American, who else on this list is a proven commodity in major college football (i.e. someone that we could consistently rely upon)?  I only raise this as the offensive personnel development with this staff is very shaky at best.  There is no reason to believe that will change with this crop of players either.  

Let's temper our enthusiasm so the letdown this Thanksgiving is not as great.

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

I really like the optimism of this post and of our fanbase at-large, and had this been drafted 3 years ago following Coach Frost's time at UCF, I would have bought in.

Having said that, aside from the FCS All American, who else on this list is a proven commodity in major college football (i.e. someone that we could consistently rely upon)?  I only raise this as the offensive personnel development with this staff is very shaky at best.  There is no reason to believe that will change with this crop of players either.  

Let's temper our enthusiasm so the letdown this Thanksgiving is not as great.

I view it not as being overly optimistic. Just pointing out that there are plenty of kids on this roster with the stars behind their names and the overall size and athletic ability to make a big impact on the field. BUT- it is on the staff to have them ready to play this fall. Being year 4, and knowing that kind of talent is available to be molded and coached up. If we have another 6 win or less season. I will be in serious doubt that Frost and staff are the right people for the job. Maybe Frost is and needs to do a mass overhaul of his assistants. But with the team mostly being his players, in year 4. It is time to start climbing up- not treading water at the bottom of the big ten. I think Moos made it clear he thinks it is time we take the next step and compete for the West. 

I think many fans from both side of the positive/negative spectrum view this coming season as a year that we should take a significant step forward.  If we miss a bowl game again, I think Moos/Frost will have no choice but to make some serious changes.  

I don't think it comes to that though.  I really believe we win 7+ games next year and gain some traction.  I don't think we need any help from the portal as mentioned above but we might as well try to fill open spots if the right fit is available on the offensive side of the ball.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

1. Omar Manning

2. Zavier Betts

3. Ronald Thompkins

5. Thomas Fidone

6. USC transfer RB

Forgot Austin Allen who was pretty solid for us when healthy this season. Vokolek showed some promise too. 

Could be a formidable group next year... 

Manning (6'4)

Betts (6'2)

Toure (6'3)

Allen (6'8)

Vokolek (6'6)

Mix in:
Fidone (6'5)

Hickman (6'6)

Martin (6'1)

Grimes (6'3)

Hardy (6'3)

Neville (6'4)

Speedy slot guys:

Nixon (5'11)

Houston (6'0)

Brown (5'11)

Nance (6'0)

Obviously a lot to prove but they should at least be bigger targets for Adrian and they should have more success blocking on the perimeter again based on size alone. Hopefully the effort to block will match.

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Forgot Austin Allen who was pretty solid for us when healthy this season. Vokolek showed some promise too. 

Could be a formidable group next year... 

Manning (6'4)

Betts (6'2)

Toure (6'3)

Allen (6'8)

Vokolek (6'6)

Mix in:
Fidone (6'5)

Hickman (6'6)

Martin (6'1)

Grimes (6'3)

Hardy (6'3)

Neville (6'4)

Speedy slot guys:

Nixon (5'11)

Houston (6'0)

Brown (5'11)

Nance (6'0)

Obviously a lot to prove but they should at least be bigger targets for Adrian and they should have more success blocking on the perimeter again based on size alone. Hopefully the effort to block will match.

We do have a lot of size and plenty of speed on that list. It is time for them to step up and produce on the field. Hickman is an odd one to me. He seems too skinny to play TE. Maybe not fast enough for receiver? 

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

1. Omar Manning

2. Zavier Betts

3. Ronald Thompkins

5. Thomas Fidone

6. USC transfer RB

I’d also be looking at an experienced Center in case Jurgens continues to struggle with snaps or gets injured....

The impact of his unreliability on our offence is hard to understate.

• Plus1 1