Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

18 hours ago, krc1995 said:

but conversely, it can be a way to clear some roster spots and soften the blow while doing it.    

I believe our situation might be a bit different then others. We’re seeing starters go to the portal and not just 2,3 and 4 deeps. 

I don't think our situation is really any different than others. For the most part, the starters we've lost are the equivalent of 2-3-4 stringers elsewhere. Obviously Spielman and Wan'dale stick out but what did Spielman accomplish elsewhere? And the jury is still out on WR. Reality is, our best have not been impressive elsewhere. I think that situation is slowly being rectified through recruiting but there is a reason our record has been what it has. So far we have had mid level talent and haven't made any strides towards developing it to a higher level. 90%+ of what we've lost to the portal can't, on an individual basis, really be considered a loss.

I'd say, so far, our roster churn has been mostly a good thing. It's just a little painful when there is so much of it  in a relatively short period of time.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don't think our situation is really any different than others. For the most part, the starters we've lost are the equivalent of 2-3-4 stringers elsewhere. Obviously Spielman and Wan'dale stick out but what did Spielman accomplish elsewhere? And the jury is still out on WR. Reality is, our best have not been impressive elsewhere. I think that situation is slowly being rectified through recruiting but there is a reason our record has been what it has. So far we have had mid level talent and haven't made any strides towards developing it to a higher level. 90%+ of what we've lost to the portal can't, on an individual basis, really be considered a loss.

I'd say, so far, our roster churn has been mostly a good thing. It's just a little painful when there is so much of it  in a relatively short period of time.

I consider Luke a starter, just didn’t find a place for him. Thought maybe with Wandale gone he step in there. There’s Farniok too. 

how many teams are losing starters? 

31 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I consider Luke a starter, just didn’t find a place for him.

You can consider Luke whatever you want, doesn't make it true. Kid was poised to be the backup to the backup QB and was not interested in moving into Wandale's spot nor anywhere else on offense. Farniok wasn't a starter and was never going to be. 

• Plus1 9
34 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I consider Luke a starter, just didn’t find a place for him. Thought maybe with Wandale gone he step in there. There’s Farniok too. 

how many teams are losing starters? 

IDK, off the top of my head, Northwestern lost some starters to the portal recently. They won the West...are they in some great disarray?

To clarify, I don’t consider Luke a starter. He was a gimmick situational plug-in and backup QB. Could we have found a more productive use for him? We’ll never know because it wasn’t our choice. He wants to play QB and that wasn’t going to happen here. I don’t believe the Farniok that entered the portal was a starter. (I could be mistaken). Wandale was a loss but I’m convinced maybe a good one that will force the coaches to develope the whole offense better instead of catering to an undersized running back or a DuckR/Slot type receiver that the offense struggled to complete productive passes to. I actually believe our offense will be better off with the USC RB and Montana WR. Of course it would be nice to also still have Wandale but I believe our O will be healthier this way. Just one guy’s opinion....

• Plus1 4
5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

IDK, off the top of my head, Northwestern lost some starters to the portal recently. They won the West...are they in some great disarray?

To clarify, I don’t consider Luke a starter. He was a gimmick situational plug-in and backup QB. Could we have found a more productive use for him? We’ll never know because it wasn’t our choice. He wants to play QB and that wasn’t going to happen here. I don’t believe the Farniok that entered the portal was a starter. (I could be mistaken). Wandale was a loss but I’m convinced maybe a good one that will force the coaches to develope the whole offense better instead of catering to an undersized running back or a DuckR/Slot type receiver that the offense struggled to complete productive passes to. I actually believe our offense will be better off with the USC RB and Montana WR. Of course it would be nice to also still have Wandale but I believe our O will be healthier this way. Just one guy’s opinion....

This is what I keep telling myself too.  I'm hopeful for a more well rounded offense next year that utilizes skillsets of multiple players.  I'm not gonna go crazy and say the offense will win a lot more games. But it will be nice to see a guy like Stepp used on 1st and goal from the 2 instead of Robinson, and sending taller WRS down the sidelines that can theoretically win some 50/50 balls and not have to use TE's for that.

But then I wonder why that didn't happen to an extent this year...

Who knows what 2021 will be, I just hope it's less s#!tty :D

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

There’s so many farnioks I must have been confused 

1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

You can consider Luke whatever you want, doesn't make it true. Kid was poised to be the backup to the backup QB and was not interested in moving into Wandale's spot nor anywhere else on offense. Farniok wasn't a starter and was never going to be. 

He actually did start a game.

• Haha 1

Maurice Washington has been our biggest loss. 
he could run and catch. He was a threat from everywhere on the field. He has the true speed, not Wan’dale. Losing Washington opened the box of predicament we are in now. 

we should be better next year as we will finally finally have Rfrsh, sophs, and Jrs starting, and a Sr QB...the turnover and youth of the program cannot be understated. It’s only been 3 damn yrs w a new head coach who had a s#!t ton of work to do. I’m patient. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, krc1995 said:

There’s so many farnioks I must have been confused 

I understand. I'm not exactly sure which is which either. Wasn't sure if it's the one who actually plays or the one who is supposed to be a center but couldn't overtake CJ at the peak of his snap problems (or maybe they're the same person)... and there might even be another one :lol:

17 hours ago, I am I said:

Maurice Washington has been our biggest loss. 

I thought Washington and Mills looked like a very Nebraska-worthy rushing attack. Even if they were getting yards on flare passes, it felt like part of the running game and a genuinely dangerous Frost offense.

But when your quarterbacks become more effective runners than passers, the RBs don't get the touches -- and neither do the wide-receivers.

I still think Nebraska will be a better rushing team when the quarterback is a better passer. I miss having a featured running back. 

25 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I thought Washington and Mills looked like a very Nebraska-worthy rushing attack. Even if they were getting yards on flare passes, it felt like part of the running game and a genuinely dangerous Frost offense.

But when your quarterbacks become more effective runners than passers, the RBs don't get the touches -- and neither do the wide-receivers.

I still think Nebraska will be a better rushing team when the quarterback is a better passer. I miss having a featured running back. 

The last back for me that seemed like a true feature back that was elite was Abdullah.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The last back for me that seemed like a true feature back that was elite was Abdullah.

We were spoiled going from Helu to burkhead to ameer for 5 years straight...

Lot of questions that need to be answered.. the simplest thing I'd like to see is our running back actually be the leading rusher, by far, on this team.  QB leading with rushing yards is not a recipe for success in today's game.  The threat of an athletic qb isnt as much of a threat when a defense is 60% sure he's running with it... an actual back opens up the PA possibilities and less designed qb run plays actually makes the threat of a qb run more dangerous, if that makes sense