Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

36 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

How many transfers did coach Frost get this year?  I just read Indiana has added 8 players just this year from the portal.

That is a lot of open scholarships to fill from the portal. That doesn't seem ideal on the surface. 

46 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

How many transfers did coach Frost get this year?  I just read Indiana has added 8 players just this year from the portal.

The only three guys that came in on scholarship are Toure, Kolarevic and Stepp.  I don't know how many came in as walk-ons.  

18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That is a lot of open scholarships to fill from the portal. That doesn't seem ideal on the surface. 

at first I thought they must of hired a new coach who is trying to flip the roster.  nope, same guy.  fans seem pretty excited about who they got .  I didn't really check to see if any of them are worth noting tho.

For those already aggravated by the Transfer Portal- this is just the beginning. Once the Name Image and Likeness deal goes into affect- this year I think- the Transfer Portal will be on steroids. 

Scenario:

Player A who is a WR and really good but putting up good but not great numbers plays for Bowling Green. He is making 10K in NIL at Bowling Green. He has proven he can play, putting up say 700 yards- but playing for Bama or OSU it could be 1000 and all the accolades and exposure of playing for a top program. 

Bama or Ohio State sees him. Bama and Ohio State starters at his position are making 120K in NIL a year- new car, nice trips, cool apartments- all over social media. How in the WORLD is Bowling Green or Kansas holding on to that player? Bama and OSU basically have many other schools as their farm teams of highly proven college players. How would the super rich ever have a non dominating roster? 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

For those already aggravated by the Transfer Portal- this is just the beginning. Once the Name Image and Likeness deal goes into affect- this year I think- the Transfer Portal will be on steroids. 

Scenario:

Player A who is a WR and really good but putting up good but not great numbers plays for Bowling Green. He is making 10K in NIL at Bowling Green. He has proven he can play, putting up say 700 yards- but playing for Bama or OSU it could be 1000 and all the accolades and exposure of playing for a top program. 

Bama or Ohio State sees him. Bama and Ohio State starters at his position are making 120K in NIL a year- new car, nice trips, cool apartments- all over social media. How in the WORLD is Bowling Green or Kansas holding on to that player? Bama and OSU basically have many other schools as their farm teams of highly proven college players. How would the super rich ever have a non dominating roster? 

So the scenario is someone is really good at what they do and can make more money and they will now have the opportunity to. I could definitely see some small adverse affects this has on competition as it pertains to much smaller schools, but I don't think the solution is to force kids to have no choice. And schools like bowling green and kansas are not competing with the bigger schools regardless of the transfer portal. 

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Scenario:

That seems about right. Fair wages earned for their labor. This happens to the baseball team all the time - Erstad seemed to recruit some really quality players, only to have them jump straight to the minors with a contract. Can't fault the player in that scenario - why not get paid to do the same thing you're doing at college?  You can always go back to school after you're done with sports. Colleges aren't going to cease to exist anytime soon. 

If a Bowling Green can't compete with Bama for a player because of NIL, that's just the free market in action. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

For the all for one- one for all- eat the rich millennial crowd. Not sure how this goes with- everyone should be equal thing. Maximizing your individual opportunity to the highest bidder without any regard for very similar pay of your fellow worker bees seems a bit inconsistent. The stud making 10x, 100x, 200x what a teammate makes seems a bit anti- comrade. 

Seems like this will create a tiny miniscule class of have teams with ZERO chance of the havenot teams ever having a chance to get into the Have class. LOL. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

43 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Scenario:

they wouldnt and luckily for us it is something that will allow us to also separate. It will be bad for college football as a whole but good for the haves. 

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

they wouldnt and luckily for us it is something that will allow us to also separate. It will be bad for college football as a whole but good for the haves. 

Yes, Nebraska can benefit some. There is support and that means $$. Sure we can steal players from SDSU, SD, KU, UNI etc- But whos to say we might be the "farm team" for the real elites like OSU, Bama, Clemson, GA, Notre Dame etc. That knife cuts both ways, relegating us to the middle. 

I always find it interesting when people who have a certain opinion/political bent actually have the ability to make a real life dollar decision that either validates that their philosophy is being adhered to or not. 

2 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Yes, Nebraska can benefit some. There is support and that means $$. Sure we can steal players from SDSU, SD, KU, UNI etc- But whos to say we might be the "farm team" for the real elites like OSU, Bama, Clemson, GA, Notre Dame etc. That knife cuts both ways, relegating us to the middle. 

I always find it interesting when people who have a certain opinion/political bent actually have the ability to make a real life dollar decision that either validates that their philosophy is being adhered to or gets tossed to the side. 

Financially I would imagine we would be in the upper echelon with those teams with brand etc in the overall scope of things. I would anticipate the gap would be much wider below us than above us. 

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Financially I would imagine we would be in the upper echelon with those teams with brand etc in the overall scope of things. I would anticipate the gap would be much wider below us than above us. 

I agree with you. 

However Im just not sure the real elite players would be interested in our team right now. Im a WR- looking at a team that hasnt exactly lit the scoreboard up or produced big WR numbers. Or a kid that wants to win a championship. Not confident we get those kind of kids. Bama and OSU get them out of HS and those they miss on- well now they will get them the second time around in spades with ALL the money, wins, NFL roadmap, stats, championships. Parity that some wanted so badly- never going to happen. 

The pay gap for us vs them shouldnt be that much right now- but if we continue to lose? We certainly arent at risk like those with small fan bases. We really havent had many players any of the elite would want- so we dont know just yet.