Who Will Be the Next AD?

Some ideas from the OWH.  More information in the link.

Trev Alberts, UNO athletic director

Hank Bounds, former NU president

Tim Clare, University of Nebraska regent

John Cook, Nebraska volleyball coach
John Cunningham, Cincinnati athletic director

Matt Davison, Nebraska associate athletic director for football

Turner Gill, executive vice president of diversity, development and inclusion at Liberty University

Garth Glissman, vice president of basketball operations for the NBA

Beth Goetz, Ball State athletic director

John Johnson, Nebraska senior deputy athletic director

Garrett Klassy, Nebraska senior deputy athletic director

Jamie Pollard, Iowa State athletic director

Ed Stewart, Big 12 executive associate commissioner

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Turner Gill, executive vice president of diversity, development and inclusion at Liberty University

WdvUCbM.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Genuinely curious, why is John Cook so high on everyone's list- I may be missing something but what's the basis of confidence in a person going from coach to AD at a big time university having a high likelihood of success?  Wouldn't we prefer the man stay at the helm of a perennial title contender and not risk that progrum slipping into mediocrity at the hands of someone else?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Genuinely curious, why is John Cook so high on everyone's list- I may be missing something but what's the basis of confidence in a person going from coach to AD at a big time university having a high likelihood of success?  Wouldn't we prefer the man stay at the helm of a perennial title contender and not risk that progrum slipping into mediocrity at the hands of someone else?

Cook is probably closer to retiring as the Volleyball Coach sooner than most people think.  They brought in Tyler Hildebrand to be the obvious heir apparent.  I think Cook would be a good AD, but he may not want to "retire" to go be AD.  I think he would rather just retire and enjoy the rest of his life.

• Plus1 1

As of now, I'd say Pollard is the one to put money on. His name was brought up last time around, and he already has a daughter at UNL.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Cook is probably closer to retiring as the Volleyball Coach sooner than most people think.  They brought in Tyler Hildebrand to be the obvious heir apparent.  I think Cook would be a good AD, but he may not want to "retire" to go be AD.  I think he would rather just retire and enjoy the rest of his life.

Makes sense.  Admittedly I don't follow the VB team any where as closely to the football and bb programs, appreciate the context! 

OWH added a name to their list:

Garth Glissman, vice president of basketball operations for the NBA: A former Husker football and basketball player, Glissman has two degrees from NU, worked as a journalist in the area for several years while part of a law firm, and has moved quickly up the ranks of the NBA in the last five years. Glissman would be excellent with the media, and has a strong understanding of the local culture. Plus, his presence would certainly help the Husker hoops team.  

• Plus1 2

Count me out on Pollard. Hiring and keeping Matt Campbell was obviously good (though that's not quite the masterstroke some make it out to be; Matt Campbell won about a billion games at Toldeo and a coach staying somewhere says a lot more about that coach's priorities than the actions of the AD), but he's also deeply messed up their men's basketball program and seems like the personality type to come in and want to make "his" hires, which is about the last thing we need right now. I want a competent, respected person with no ego who understands the culture and what wins at Nebraska. Bounds would be great imo.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Hank Bounds, former NU president

Tim Clare, University of Nebraska regent

John Cook, Nebraska volleyball coach
John Cunningham, Cincinnati athletic director

Garth Glissman, vice president of basketball operations for the NBA

Beth Goetz, Ball State athletic director

John Johnson, Nebraska senior deputy athletic director

Garrett Klassy, Nebraska senior deputy athletic director

Jamie Pollard, Iowa State athletic director

Ed Stewart, Big 12 executive associate commissioner

I really don't want Cook to stop coaching.  But, I understand that he might be getting to the age of wanting to step away from that.

Not totally sold on Davison simply because I don't know if he has the experience enough yet to do the full job.  

John Johnson and Garrett Klassy are interesting options.  If Moos was spending as much time away from Lincoln as has been reported, these two have been running the show. If it's been running fairly well with them but just needs an active person at the top, one of these might be the right choice.  But, only someone within the system would know all of that.