Trev Alberts named new Husker AD - 11 a.m. press conference

43 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What do you find wasteful outside of payroll?  

Isn’t NU one of the few athletic programs that runs a surplus? 

I'm not criticizing NU athletics with this comment, but college athletics in general.

Look at our current building project.  What is it, $60 million?  How much of that is actually to make the team better compared to how much of it is to impress 18 year olds to come play for you?  Mind boggling how much is spent just to impress a bunch of kids before they ever do anything productive for the program.

• Fire 1

I'm good with this raise. 

This raise place Trev on the upper end of AD salaries in the Power 5.  Maybe it is a bit high for right now but it isn't a crazy sum to pay if they feel he is the right guy for the job long term.  Nebraska athletics make a pile of money so I believe they should pay top dollar to the man in charge of that revenue.  

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The Athletic wrote an article (paywall) about the wasteful business of Athletic Departments. Not Nebraska specifically, but how Athletic Departments are ran broadly are often wasteful. 

Michigan State giving a pay raise to Mel Tucker, when nobody was trying to hire him away, for example. Penn State giving a huge raise to Franklin amongst (untrue) rumors he would go to USC. 

The same thing happens to Athletic Directors, but it's just not as note worthy because the sums aren't as high. But it doesn't make it any less strange or wasteful.

Appreciate the response but I said outside of payroll and was also talking about NU. 

Apologize if info on NU or non payroll items are in the article but I don’t subscribe to Athletic so couldn’t read  the article.  

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not criticizing NU athletics with this comment, but college athletics in general.

Look at our current building project.  What is it, $60 million?  How much of that is actually to make the team better compared to how much of it is to impress 18 year olds to come play for you?  Mind boggling how much is spent just to impress a bunch of kids before they ever do anything productive for the program.

I’m not disagreeing with you, but the same could be said about any building on campus.  

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's very unlikely for any of the 18 year olds to be able to help the program if they don't choose to play for the program...

I can't think of anything more important to helping the program than attracting the very best of the 18 year olds to play for Nebraska by having great coaches, facilities, and, recently, NIL compensation.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, 307husker said:

It's very unlikely for any of the 18 year olds to be able to help the program if they don't choose to play for the program...

I can't think of anything more important to helping the program than attracting the very best of the 18 year olds to play for Nebraska by having great coaches, facilities, and, recently, NIL compensation.

I know all that.  It's pretty pathetic with college athletics that $60 million  has to be spent to impress 18 year olds.  But...here we are.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Appreciate the response but I said outside of payroll and was also talking about NU. 

Apologize if info on NU or non payroll items are in the article but I don’t subscribe to Athletic so couldn’t read  the article.  

Most of the waste is in payroll, because it's often used to get nothing in return. Trev Albert's is already on staff, and now we're paying more for the same thing Nebraska had last week. 

Granted, this isn't particularly bad as far as waste goes. I just find Athletic Departments to be wasteful in the salaries they pay. 

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The new football facility is $165 million, which is par for the course. It's mostly waste - a fancy locker room, sensory chambers for napping, a player lounge, offices for coaches, practice fields... all things Nebraska already had, but something schools had been doing to keep up with an appearance that they are committed to football. 

There does seem to be a realization that this spending is mostly frivolous, luckily. Schools are now asking donors to send donations to NIL collectives, and soon Football players will negotiate revenue sharing via a CBA. Schools aren't going to have to waste money on lazy rivers (Clemson) or nap pods (LSU) or what have you. Players are only going to care where they'll make the most money. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Most of the waste is in payroll, because it's often used to get nothing in return. Trev Albert's is already on staff, and now we're paying more for the same thing Nebraska had last week. 

Granted, this isn't particularly bad as far as waste goes. I just find Athletic Departments to be wasteful in the salaries they pay. 

The new football facility is $165 million, which is par for the course. It's mostly waste - a fancy locker room, sensory chambers for napping, a player lounge, offices for coaches, practice fields... all things Nebraska already had, but something schools had been doing to keep up with an appearance that they are committed to football. 

There does seem to be a realization that this spending is mostly frivolous, luckily. Schools are now asking donors to send donations to NIL collectives, and soon Football players will negotiate revenue sharing via a CBA. Schools aren't going to have to waste money on lazy rivers (Clemson) or nap pods (LSU) or what have you. Players are only going to care where they'll make the most money. 

And at that point, college football will be dead.  Just a lower level professional league that pales in comparison to the NFL.

4 minutes ago, 307husker said:

And at that point, college football will be dead.  Just a lower level professional league that pales in comparison to the NFL.

Hard disagree with you there, but I do understand fan trepidation. 

I truly do not think the average fan is aware of just how seismic of a change is about to come to college athletics, specifically football.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, 307husker said:

I don't totally agree with "college football is dead".  It will be the same as it's always been.  Colleges have to recruit players.  Those players will have to be academically eligible.  And they will play on a team representing the Universities.  I don't think anything really "dies", but recruiting now looks A LOT different.  

The transfer portal is the biggest ding to the sport.  It makes it hard to build a team if you are not at the top of the heap.  But until coaches are required to sit a year for voluntarily leaving a job for a better one, I fully support the players having the same privilege. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Agree and that’s my point. 

On 11/14/2023 at 9:04 PM, GISker said:

Not sure he is worth twice, of this guys salary (football and basketball hires are pretty darned good)!      

$911,250

The highest-paying athletics director position in Kansas went to K-State's Gene Taylor who took home $911,250 in 2022, according to govsalaries.com. The national average salary for athletics directors is $56,724 per year, according to indeed.com. Taylor

Did they include middle school athletic directors?  No way that number is correct.  

• TBH 1