Pelini’s interview on The Boys podcast

Just now, runningblind said:

That's true, I don't like him. At the time I thought any halfway decent coach could have won 9 games here, and still do think that a good hire there does better than Bo. But we got the opposite of that instead.

That is all you needed to say.

Thank you!  I also remember the "a monkey could win 9 games at NU' bit.  

Maybe we can hire the monkey from Project X!

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

There were rumors of him looking around every season after, what, 2011?

Yes, that's when Harvey hired Eichorst without even the courtesy of letting the sitting AD (Osborne) know. Osborne & Pelini were tied together in a sense, as were Harvey & Eichorst. Harvey had it out for Osborne and especially Bo, his ego couldn't handle those two being bigger than him. 

Pelini's job security left with Tom's retirement. It was a cloud over the staff, players and recruiting the next few years as neither weasel would commit to acknowledging Pelini remaining as head coach beyond one year. Hence the "if they want to fire me, fire me" comment, openly admitting to the media he didn't know whether he was getting a job extension or being let go and the general negative atmosphere surrounding the program during those few years. I'm not denying Bo didn't hurt his own cause quite a bit. However, the true issues with the athletic department stemmed from Harvey & Eichorst, Harvey especially as that guy had no backbone.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Clearly recruiting was either not trending down either OR they were great at developing because he kept finishing 1st or 2nd.  He was 22-10 in conference play in the Big Ten.  

His recruiting was falling off so fast that he was still putting defensive guys in the NFL for years after he left and our offense was still relying on his recruits four years after he left.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

Bo was a good coach and a great hire. But his firing was absolutely justified as far as I can see it.

We weren't any closer to championships in year seven than we were in year one. At the end of the day his ceiling and floor were cemented with seven years worth of data, which is about as much as you could hope for as far as making a decision whether to move on or not.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Mavric said:

It is astounding how far people will go out of their way to avoid giving Pelini any credit.

I have never seen anything like it.  

If Bo walked on water...his haters would complain he did not know how to swim.

It might be the only case study where 9-10 wins and finishing 1st/2nd each year, doesn't count.

• Plus1 4
6 hours ago, Mavric said:

His recruiting was falling off so fast that he was still putting defensive guys in the NFL for years after he left and our offense was still relying on his recruits four years after he left.

So are the Bo haters just mad because things have really sucked since he got canned?  

I mean there is no way to look back on his time here and think "Yeah, he sucked"

We even pointed out, from a Bo hater, that he only had 7 bad conference losses in 4 years in the Big Ten.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, pubes said:

Let’s not forget his recent stint at LSU and how that ended for him. I’d like to believe that if he could have kept his attitude in check than he could have been successful but I do not believe that. LSU’s defense was insanely horrible. 

They were transitioning from a 3-4 to a 4-3 under Bo.  No different then us going from a 4-3 to a 3-4.  We sucked on defense also. 

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

He also started offering random players on good high school teams because they had a philosophy that players from a winning team had a winning attitude. 

It's why they offered a lot of questionable State Champion QBs and why they offered all the bad players from Edna Karr High School (all three players left the program before the end of training camp).

He recruited a lot of talent, and did a good job of developing it. But he did start making a few questionable choices towards the end of his tenure.

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

I liked Bo.  6 years removed form his tenure, pretty easy to see getting 9-10 wins wan't/isn't that easy........I think what also hurt Bo was Carl and Sanders no longer being with the team.  Bo also had a rotating staff that didn't help to build cohesion.......

Amen, clearly hitting 9/10 wins each season is much more difficult than us fans realized.  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

I really enjoyed the podcast. I loved his relationship with Compton, including Will still wanting approval but also talking s#!t, and calling him out for his temper tantrums.

My favorite part was when they asked him about paying players. It was interesting just how matter of fact it was that big recruits at big school get paid. Bo tried to hold the plausible deniability line coach line, but the smirks on both Compton and Lewan's faces were telling of the reality of P5 ball.

As for the Bo hate...it's tired. It is completely possible to believe he was the best coach we've had since TO (GTFO with that tired Solich nonsense- Nebraska welfare), and it was still time to move on. We had the wrong AD and made a bad hire. The mental gymnastics people will do to minimize winning 9 games a year is crazy...even now when we have sucked for more years than not.

I was also reminded of how many people on this board talked trash about Compton as well. Too slow, not physical enough, bad angles. I guess he got faster in the NFL and fixed all that stuff.

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Yes, that's when Harvey hired Eichorst without even the courtesy of letting the sitting AD (Osborne) know. Osborne & Pelini were tied together in a sense, as were Harvey & Eichorst. Harvey had it out for Osborne and especially Bo, his ego couldn't handle those two being bigger than him. 

Pelini's job security left with Tom's retirement. It was a cloud over the staff, players and recruiting the next few years as neither weasel would commit to acknowledging Pelini remaining as head coach beyond one year. Hence the "if they want to fire me, fire me" comment, openly admitting to the media he didn't know whether he was getting a job extension or being let go and the general negative atmosphere surrounding the program during those few years. I'm not denying Bo didn't hurt his own cause quite a bit. However, the true issues with the athletic department stemmed from Harvey & Eichorst, Harvey especially as that guy had no backbone.

Ok, cool. So under that scenario, does he magically decide he still wants to be at Nebraska, or does he still look for the first life raft or floating door off the ship?

13 hours ago, teachercd said:

I have no problem with that and I am guessing every single coach (or his agent) does that.  I would as well.  If someone wants to offer me a new winning lotto ticket, I want to hear about it.

Then it's much more likely to believe that he would have left with a lotto ticket than still be here.