*** The Official Nebraska @ Illinois Game Thread ***

knapplc

I was excited all week for this game and I had high hopes for this team in Frost’s 4th year. After this game, it looks like another 4-8 or 3-9 season. I did not see one thing that gives me hope we can turn things around. Not one player stood out for me and our unspecified teams keep sinking to lower depths every year

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

What the hell goes through Frost’s mind with two minutes left in either half? 

Whatever happened at the end first half set the tone for the rest of the game. Not the first time this has happened across 4 years. 

And maybe I’m biased with Martinez because I really like him, but I though he was much better in the 2nd half. Maybe not where you would expect him to be in year 4.  

and did we abandon the run game in the 2nd? missed some of the third, but maybe it was because we were playing from behind.

We are s.l.o.w. to hit the edge. 

I wondered where Stepp was after the TD. Can’t get a flow if we aren’t allowing him to roll. Only three carries on the day… and the one 30 yard catch.

I think the run was tried but after we fell in the hole in the scoreboard and penalties, I think Frost abandoned that for the most part. Really thought that fourth quarter was solid but too little, too late. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, runningblind said:

They had momrnts but were wildly inconsistent.  We also averaged 2.2 yards per carry on the other 38 carries besides the 75 yard TD. That is bad.

#70 is Sichterman, the RG.

never heard of him. When I was watching the game with my eyes open, I think I was not impressed 

2 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I wondered where Stepp was after the TD. Can’t get a flow if we aren’t allowing him to roll. Only three carries on the day… and the one 30 yard catch.

I think the run was tried but after we fell in the hole in the scoreboard and penalties, I think Frost abandoned that for the most part. Really thought that fourth quarter was solid but too little, too late. 

Really didn’t need a 7 plus minute drive, but I guess we still had a shot after. Do we not have any big plays? 

im traveling and can’t find a stat sheet, but I feel three plays changed this game. What percent is three plays? And I’m not sure if Cam Taylor-Britt’s boneheaded play was one of them. 

1 hour ago, southernoregonhusker said:

They can't recruit talent.  Martinez's legs were our offense today.  The receivers are slow and can't get open.  If they do get open which happened a few times, Martinez gets too excited and misses them.  And despite the hype of a few RB's, we have absolutely no talent in that room.  The o-line that was hyped as being big and strong got beat all day by ILLINOIS.  I'm glad that Oklahoma game is on so early here.  Hopefully I sleep through all of it.  

I disagree. There were plenty of times the receivers WERE open and Martinez missed them. I think there was only one DROP by a receiver. If we had someone at QB who DID NOT FUMBLE A TD TO THE OPPONENT, was decisive, knew how to look-off safeties, and could drop it in the basket today would have been a win - even with the ABYSMAL special teams and lop-sided penalties and reviewed plays.

On defense we got after the QB like we haven't seen in recent years and had a good number of TFLs. We had one interception (negated by penalty) and one fumble recovery (right?).

Where we looked worst in Division One was Special Teams. In fact, I'm sure after Week One games we WILL be the worst in Division One in Special Teams. Not fixing that in 4 years is what truly blows my mind.

1 hour ago, southernoregonhusker said:

They can't recruit talent.  Martinez's legs were our offense today.  The receivers are slow and can't get open.  If they do get open which happened a few times, Martinez gets too excited and misses them.  And despite the hype of a few RB's, we have absolutely no talent in that room.  The o-line that was hyped as being big and strong got beat all day by ILLINOIS.  I'm glad that Oklahoma game is on so early here.  Hopefully I sleep through all of it.  

True.  Relying on AM to carry the O-line is not good.  I don’t know much about the other QBs, but I’d like to see one of them at least get some playing time.