Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Next year's schedule should be our 10+ win season in year 5. 

If Frost is retained it might be a 5 win schedule as he can’t beat the teams in his own division. Until proven otherwise I don’t see next year as easy based on Frost and his record 

• Plus1 4
Just now, TGHusker said:

If Frost is retained it might be a 5 win schedule as he can’t beat the teams in his own division. Until proven otherwise I don’t see next year as easy based on Frost and his record 

Completely agree. I really think Frost is going to make absolutely minimal changes to his staff if he is retained. He talks consistently about being SO CLOSE. But in all reality a win against tOSU doesn't matter if you can't beat Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota etc. 

4 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Completely agree. I really think Frost is going to make absolutely minimal changes to his staff if he is retained. He talks consistently about being SO CLOSE. But in all reality a win against tOSU doesn't matter if you can't beat Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota etc. 

I hate giving Mike Riley credit for anything, but he was able to take advantage of a pretty weak schedule in 2016 and win 9 games. Even with a "weaker" schedule in 2022, I have serious doubts of Frost winning "the games he is supposed to". 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

If Frost comes back, there has to be a minimum goal in year 5 for a chance at year 6.  Right?

Something along the lines of:

2-1 in non-con (Oklahoma will be tough...)

2-2 in games between Northwestern, Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois (at least!)

1-1 in Iowa and Wisconsin (at least)

2-1 in crossover games (Ind, Rutgers, Mich)

7-5 has to be a bare minimum next year.  And that is pretty disappointing...

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

If Frost comes back, there has to be a minimum goal in year 5 for a chance at year 6.  Right?

Look at what they need to do just to maintain……..

They need a kicker, replace Jojo and a secondary and hope something changes with the offense.  All while hoping some of our offensive weapons don’t enter the portal.

Every year we talk about the games we will win because we should.  Next year is hardly a cake walk to to bowl eligibility for this program in its current state.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

That looks about right. 2021 was the year for NU to learn how to win games and go 6-6 or 7-5. Then take the winning mentality and go 9-3 or better in 2022. Unfortunately we are now expecting a 6-6 or 7-5 season and Frost fans will still see that as "improvement". 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I think 8 should be the minimum, borderline 9 with respect to divisional play. Doing so would suggest tangible progress and would justify an extension which would need to happen. If Frost is back anything less than 8 is cause for termination imo. 

7 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Look at what they need to do just to maintain……..

They need a kicker, replace Jojo and a secondary and hope something changes with the offense.  All while hoping some of our offensive weapons don’t enter the portal.

Every year we talk about the games we will win because we should.  Next year is hardly a cake walk to to bowl eligibility for this program in its current state.

The defensive line is going to be a bigger loss than the secondary. Daniels is probably the biggest loss, no pun intended.  The LBs play well in run defense due to what that line is able to accomplish in occupying blockers.

I expect a step back defensively in 2022, which makes cleaning up the rest more important and I'm not confident at all that happens. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

The defensive line is going to be a bigger loss than the secondary. Daniels is probably the biggest loss, no pun intended.  The LBs play well in run defense due to what that line is able to accomplish in occupying blockers.

I expect a step back defensively in 2022, which makes cleaning up the rest more important and I'm not confident at all that happens. 

We'll see, but I think they'll be fine on the DLine. The biggest loss on the team is going to be JoJo Domann. Good luck replacing that guy. The LBs should keep getting better and I don't see any reason the secondary couldn't at least be just as good as they have been this season.

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

We'll see, but I think they'll be fine on the DLine. The biggest loss on the team is going to be JoJo Domann. Good luck replacing that guy.

I'm sort of here as well. I think there is enough that will mitigate DDs departure if it happens. I think Farmer will step in and they'll get something from the next guy. Newsome comes back and I think Clark or another DB will replace CTB just fine. I do worry about Jojo that will be a big loss.

Just now, Treand3 said:

I'm sort of here as well. I think there is enough that will mitigate DDs departure if it happens. I think Farmer will step in and they'll get something from the next guy. Newsome comes back and I think Clark or another DB will replace CTB just fine. I do worry about Jojo that will be a big loss.

As good of a playmaker as we've had in some time on the defensive side of the ball.... I think Gifford will get there, but probably not as a Sophomore.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

We'll see, but I think they'll be fine on the DLine. The biggest loss on the team is going to be JoJo Domann. Good luck replacing that guy. The LBs should keep getting better and I don't see any reason the secondary couldn't at least be just as good as they have been this season.

This is where I’m at.  I think we may have the best LB group in the conference, but JoJo is a huge loss.

New coach or not, I don’t see how there is any faith in this program to have the expectations of a winning season next year. Do we play Purdue, Illinois, northwestern, wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa next year? Sure as hell we do, but we lose to all those teams consistently, with the exception of 50/50 with northwestern.

just our division alone plus Oklahoma we very well could have 6 loses. 6-6 with a bowl game?