Why Scott Frost Should Stay

6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

It would be nice if Daniels came back simply because the longer we can give Hutmacher to develop the better 

Who are you concerned about losing?

A handful of guys. Though I am less concerned about defensive losses because I believe that side of the ball has shown they can develop kids. How easy will it be to replace 3 of your 4 in the secondary. Domann, Stille, as you mention possibly Daniels. On offense I don't think Toure is a HUGE loss but we have to hope someone steps up. Whether that is Manning etc I dont know at this point. I don't like the idea of losing Allen and/or Vokolek. We have a very young batch of TEs behind them. Obviously Adrian would be a substantial loss as I don't think we have a QB on our current roster that keeps us in games the way he can. From a pure talent perspective we get younger in a lot of places. You pray our OL actually improves. How much? we don't really know. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Unless we hit the transfer/juco lottery

Mills, Stepp, Omar - all billed as the next greatest.  Toure started out hot, but his touches have been limited lately.  He's the only one that has lived up to his billing.  

Honas  is another one - too often injured to be consistent over the long term.  No guaranties wt the juco or transfer lottery. You still have to coach and develop those players also. Not every juco, transfer or grad transfer is a splash like Russel Wilson was for Wisc years ago. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, TGHusker said:

Mills, Step, Omar - all billed as the next greatest.  Toure started out hot, but his touches have been limited lately.  He's the only one that has lived up to his billing.  

Honas  is another one - too often injured to be consistent over the long term.  No guaranties wt the juco or transfer lottery. You still have to coach and develop those players also. Not every juco, transfer or grad transfer is a splash like Russel Wilson was for Wisc years ago. 

Which is exactly why I like to call it the lottery. You buy some tickets and see if the numbers hit. We need to bring in a transfer QB if Adrian leaves to at minimum provide some competition. 

9 minutes ago, Florida Husker Watcher said:

There are a few other things that I could say that relate to exactly why the turnaround is taking longer than other turnarounds.  If anyone is curious, I'm happy to share.  But I'll leave it here for now.

Sure - share it.   Good story by the way. 

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

A handful of guys. Though I am less concerned about defensive losses because I believe that side of the ball has shown they can develop kids. How easy will it be to replace 3 of your 4 in the secondary. Domann, Stille, as you mention possibly Daniels. On offense I don't think Toure is a HUGE loss but we have to hope someone steps up. Whether that is Manning etc I dont know at this point. I don't like the idea of losing Allen and/or Vokolek. We have a very young batch of TEs behind them. Obviously Adrian would be a substantial loss as I don't think we have a QB on our current roster that keeps us in games the way he can. From a pure talent perspective we get younger in a lot of places. You pray our OL actually improves. How much? we don't really know. 

We are heading back to the point where Nebraska actually has a handful of guys that could get drafted this year should they choose to declare.

It's been a while......

47 minutes ago, Florida Husker Watcher said:

When I was young, I was an avid golfer.  Not a good golfer, but an avid one.  If I played 18 holes in the 90's, I felt pretty good.  So... yeah... not good.

When I was about 17, I made a strange decision.  I stopped playing 18, stopped going to the practice green, stopped playing with my driver at the driving range - stopped it all, but one thing.  I went to the driving range every day and just played a 7-iron.  Over and over and over.  Don't know why I did that.  But here's what happened: I continued to suck for several weeks.  And then one day, BAM!  Long, high, arching perfect 7-iron shots over and over.  Every time.  175 yards, beautiful trajectory, backspin, the whole works.  Every time.  It happened over night.  (And it bled over to my other irons, and I became a good golfer almost over night.  But that's not the point.)

My point?  It didn't really happen over night.  What I witnessed was the completion of a long journey from 5 critical flaws in my swing, to 4 critical flaws in my swing, to 3 critical flaws, and so on.  Until there were no such critical flaws.  And then BAM!  

You know what it looked like when I reduced my critical flaw count from 5 to 4?  Nothing.  I still sucked.  Know what it looked like when i went from 4 to 3?  Same thing: I sucked.  It's only when I got to 0 critical flaws that the magic happened.  That's what Nebraska is going through now.  It's getting better, but it won't show up in wins and losses just quite yet.

There are a few other things that I could say that relate to exactly why the turnaround is taking longer than other turnarounds.  If anyone is curious, I'm happy to share.  But I'll leave it here for now.

So you're saying Frost should start watching Tin Cup?

• Oh Yeah! 1
49 minutes ago, Florida Husker Watcher said:

When I was young, I was an avid golfer.  Not a good golfer, but an avid one.  If I played 18 holes in the 90's, I felt pretty good.  So... yeah... not good.

When I was about 17, I made a strange decision.  I stopped playing 18, stopped going to the practice green, stopped playing with my driver at the driving range - stopped it all, but one thing.  I went to the driving range every day and just played a 7-iron.  Over and over and over.  Don't know why I did that.  But here's what happened: I continued to suck for several weeks.  And then one day, BAM!  Long, high, arching perfect 7-iron shots over and over.  Every time.  175 yards, beautiful trajectory, backspin, the whole works.  Every time.  It happened over night.  (And it bled over to my other irons, and I became a good golfer almost over night.  But that's not the point.)

My point?  It didn't really happen over night.  What I witnessed was the completion of a long journey from 5 critical flaws in my swing, to 4 critical flaws in my swing, to 3 critical flaws, and so on.  Until there were no such critical flaws.  And then BAM!  

You know what it looked like when I reduced my critical flaw count from 5 to 4?  Nothing.  I still sucked.  Know what it looked like when i went from 4 to 3?  Same thing: I sucked.  It's only when I got to 0 critical flaws that the magic happened.  That's what Nebraska is going through now.  It's getting better, but it won't show up in wins and losses just quite yet.

Was this just one long post to tell everyone how good you are at golf?

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

Here's the most obvious reason Frost should stay.  He's getting paid FIVE PLUS MILLION FREAKING DOLLARS to coach his alma mater (into the ground but that's beside the point.)  I mean if you could earn generational money for being below average, wouldn't you do it?  The fact that Nebraska is willing to shell out that amount of money is also the reason why this job will always be attractive.  That plus the tremendous fan support of course.  Plus, let's face it.  Where the hell else would he go?  I will laugh hysterically and sadly if he ends up going to Alabama, bathes in Lake Saban, becomes the OC and ends up becoming a good coach.

The thing that seems to get overlooked in these Clash song should he stay or should he go questions is, the people on the go side always assume things will get better with a new guy. Nebraska has proven repeatedly that is not necessarily or even usually the case.

I won’t and can’t argue that Frost’s results thus far don’t lean towards needing to start over. It’s been subpar and less than acceptable. Fact. But we have all seen the flashes of what could be and have all witnessed spells of much better football than we’ve seen the last 20 years in Lincoln. You’re being dishonest if you can’t/won’t acknowledge that much. I won’t claim any moral victories but I have not seen the Huskers competitive the way they were against OU, MSU and Michigan this season in a long long time. The line play has improved by leaps and bounds even if they have a ways to go. Just look at the difference between the last two Michigan games. It’s night and day. But yes, actual victories need to start happening.

I am on the fence on this question but have decided that I will wait and see what happens in these next 4 games. Seems like the logical thing. We all know that Trev will definitely not be making any changes before this season ends. Might be helpful if some armchair know-it-alls took the same approach. The window is closing for HCSF to keep this job but it hasn’t closed yet. Be careful what you advocate for, you might just get it.

• Thanks 1

I am of the belief that he gets one more year to prove he is the guy. This one more year is 100% because he is from the state and played at Nebraska...it is not a legitimate reason why he should get one more year, as any other person, would be canned at the end if this year (barring finishing out winning 3 of 4)...but it is what it is. Nebraskans have always prided themselves on the in state guys who play for the program, this is a product of that loyalty.

• Plus1 1