Hardest schedule in Nebraska’s History? A different view, and a clear trend.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes.  The OU, MU and MSU games aren't what's frustrating this year.  It's Illinois, Minnesota and Purdue.

I can even understand Minnesota.  They are playing pretty good football right now and we were a the end of a grueling run of games.  Illinois and Purdue are the real head scratchers for me.  Absolutely no reason we should have lost those games.  I think everyone would feel a lot different sitting at 5-4 right now.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

I can even understand Minnesota.  They are playing pretty good football right now and we were a the end of a grueling run of games.  Illinois and Purdue are the real head scratchers for me.  Absolutely no reason we should have lost those games.  I think everyone would feel a lot different sitting at 5-4 right now.

Yep. 

I'm sure Trev will take the difficulty of the schedule into his analysis of this season, but no matter what, those two games should have been wins. Frost needs to be able to explain why he couldn't get his team ready to win. 

• Plus1 4

I'm thinking this schedule was harder:

We played the other 3 final top 4 teams.  OU in the game of the century.

We destroyed Colo and Bama when we played them.

1971 Final AP Football Poll

Rank Team (FPV) Conf Rec Pts Last Week
1 < 1 Nebraska (55) Big 8 13-0 1100 W 38-6 N #2 Alabama (Orange)
2 < 3 Oklahoma Big 8 11-1 990 W 40-22 N #5 Auburn (Sugar)
3 < 7 Colorado Big 8 10-2 746  
4 < 2 Alabama SEC 11-1 674 L 38-6 N #1 Nebraska (Orange)

This one from 95 is up there as well 

We destroyed Florida, Colorado, KState, Kansas   - all finishing in the top 10

1995 Final AP Football Poll

Rank Team (FPV) Conf Rec Pts Last Week
1 < 1 Nebraska (62) Big 8 12-0 1550 W 62-24 N #2 Florida (Fiesta)
2 < 2 Florida SEC 12-1 1474 L 62-24 N #1 Nebraska (Fiesta)
3 < 4 Tennessee SEC 11-1 1428  
4 < 8 Florida State ACC 10-2 1311  
5 < 7 Colorado Big 8 10-2 1309  
6 < 4 Ohio State Big Ten 11-2 1161  
7 < 10 Kansas State Big 8 10-2 1147  
8 < 3 Northwestern Big Ten 10-2 1124  
9 < 11 Kansas Big 8 10-2 1029 W 51-30 N UCLA (Aloha)
10 < 13 Virginia Tech Big 
  • Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yep. 

I'm sure Trev will take the difficulty of the schedule into his analysis of this season, but no matter what, those two games should have been wins. Frost needs to be able to explain why he couldn't get his team ready to win. 

But also, why he hasn't/can't win those close games even with Mich, OU, MSU.  How do you lose so many of these close games and not get your team over the hump to get that one signature win after 4 years. 

• Haha 1

I think we have a fairly tough schedule, but Wisconsin and Minnesota being ranked by the playoff committee is a product of the Iowa AD leading the committee. Minnesota beat one decent team and that's Purdue, they also lost to Bowling Green and almost lost to Miami Ohio. Purdue has beat Iowa and no one else. Wisconsin beat Purdue and Iowa and no one else. B1G West has been hammered by Notre Dame, what is the best OOC win for our division? Iowa St? We have a tough crossover slate for sure, but this is a normal year for the B1G West and the type of teams Frost needs to beat if he wants to keep his job. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

The sooner people realize we have become "no one else" the better.

On that sir, you are wrong.  If we were "no one else", this forum would cease to exist and few would care.   Nebraska football will be great again and your defeatist attitude is not shared by the majority, thankfully.     

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

19 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

On that sir, you are wrong.  If we were "no one else", this forum would cease to exist and few would care.   Nebraska football will be great again and your defeatist attitude is not shared by the majority, thankfully.     

Because we are on a football message board talking about the Huskers doesn’t bring the team out of last place in the West.

We are “no one else”.

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes.  The OU, MU and MSU games aren't what's frustrating this year.  It's Illinois, Minnesota and Purdue.

Win just 2 out of 3 of those winnable games and we wouldn't be having these endless threads about how good we are even though we've only won 3 games.

And the this season isn't a one-off anomaly. It has happened consistently every season since HCSF took over the program. Just a quick look at the tweet of indisputable facts by John M. Bishop from a couple of weeks ago shows how pathetic things have become and with the loss to Purdue things are even worse than that post show.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1