Who should our next HC be?

13 hours ago, hunnit said:

Sounds like you're describing Scott Frost

No. Frost has been a coach since 2007 and all but two of those years were at the FBS levels. He was 33-8 while working as an OC at Oregon, OC'd a national title contender, and then we all know what his 2017 UCF team did. I realize it's fun to play revisionist's history with Frost nowadays but he was, by most objective measurements, a great hire for Nebraska back in 2017.

I'd like to see Deion get into the FBS and put a couple of years under his belt before he tries to coach at a place like Nebraska. There's a reason you don't usually hand a F4 driver the keys to a F1 car.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
14 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Deion Sanders recruited a top player away from Alabama by convincing him to "play for his people" at an HBCU against other HBCUs. Doing that and playing against that competition has very little correlation to coaching a P5 team. There's no guarantee he can recruit anyone to Nebraska any better than another coach can.
Given the choice between Sanders and Joseph, I'm sticking with Joseph.

For today's top recruits, college is a stopover on your way to an NFL career. I think Deion's reputation -- whether he's earned it or not --- is that he's going to get you NFL ready and get you NFL attention. 

He won over the recruit's dad before he steps foot in his living room, and it sounds like he knows exactly what to say to the mom. 

I just don't see Deion enjoying Runzas. Probably not going to work here. 

• Fire 1

28 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'd like to see Deion get into the FBS and put a couple of years under his belt before he tries to coach at a place like Nebraska. There's a reason you don't usually hand a F4 driver the keys to a F1 car.

Haha well, I got news for ya....our F1 car has been stuck in the garage for over a decade and Max Verstappen ain't walking through that door. Maybe Deion can be our Lewis Hamilton.

Or put another way, we are currently far from F1 and Deion is several notches above F4.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

For today's top recruits, college is a stopover on your way to an NFL career. I think Deion's reputation -- whether he's earned it or not --- is that he's going to get you NFL ready and get you NFL attention. 

He won over the recruit's dad before he steps foot in his living room, and it sounds like he knows exactly what to say to the mom. 

I just don't see Deion enjoying Runzas. Probably not going to work here. 

Does he have the reputation that he is going to get you NFL ready though? Just because he was one of the best to do it, does not mean he can get kids to that level.

I feel Deion is in the same type of spot as PJ Fleck. PJ can do whatever he wants here in MN because MN had been a nothing program for 50+ years. He brought excitement, noise, and some success to the program. Deion can basically do whatever he would like to do at Jackson State and they have had some success within the FCS. By no means am I saying they are the same person. Their situations are similar. In order for Deion to leave I feel it would be FSU that comes knocking...but the question that needs to be answered is: Does Deion really want to be at the FBS level?

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Yeah, I haven't denied both Urban's and Deion's question marks. They each have them just like every other choice. I'm simply pointing out that they are two of the top candidates (among several others), so they are going to be discussed, both here and outside of here.

But if you listen to the discussion both inside and outside of here, Urban and Deion really aren't top candidates for the Nebraska job. Crazier things have happened, but with new HC jobs opening up and the discussion narrowing to the more realistic chances, those two guys don't warrant a lot of speculation because they have more and better options. It's fun to throw their names out, but as time moves on it doesn't make sense to measure other candidates against them as if we have the choice. 

• Plus1 3
14 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

All the names have weaknesses.

I agree, but there's a reason most universities of Nebraska's caliber and resources don't hire a head coach with less than three years of total coaching experience at the FCS level.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

"Very little objectivity, often dismissive, and too many definitives" from which side? Those opposing or those for? I've admitted Urban has ethics question marks and Deion has lack of P5 coaching question marks. Everything outside of that has been fairly objective from those for hiring them.

Deion is the Goat when it comes to corners. Who are you hoping he brings with him?

to the first part, most likely both sides but it is really bad for the pro-urban prime side. you cant say that high school aged kids would pick deion over someone else just based on his name alone. they may be young but they do have minds and can think. they also have people giving them advice and those people are most likely older and have more knowledge on coaches. you cant say urban prime "will" recruit better than anyone else just because of their past success.

as to the second part, you've never seen the afflac commercial with the goat (the animal not the acronym)?

• Plus1 3
15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But if you listen to the discussion both inside and outside of here, Urban and Deion really aren't top candidates for the Nebraska job. Crazier things have happened, but with new HC jobs opening up and the discussion narrowing to the more realistic chances, those two guys don't warrant a lot of speculation because they have more and better options. It's fun to throw their names out, but as time moves on it doesn't make sense to measure other candidates against them as if we have the choice. 

Where are you seeing any of this from anyone who's not just speculating?

3 minutes ago, desertshox said:

to the first part, most likely both sides but it is really bad for the pro-urban prime side. you cant say that high school aged kids would pick deion over someone else just based on his name alone. they may be young but they do have minds and can think. they also have people giving them advice and those people are most likely older and have more knowledge on coaches. you cant say urban prime "will" recruit better than anyone else just because of their past success.

as to the second part, you've never seen the afflac commercial with the goat (the animal not the acronym)?

So, now we aren't using past success as proof of how a candidate will likely perform at NU? Guess we better shut this thread down then because that's all it's been for over 300 pages.

• Plus1 1