Who should our next HC be?

Kansas is not that impressive. I do not understand why people were so enamored with Leipold. NU would beat KU right now and that is saying something. The last thing this program needs is another all offense, no defense coach. KU's schedule was soft and even a mediocre Oklahoma team was able to expose them. I simply get too much Mike Riley vibes from Leipold. 

• Haha 6

44 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

???

Speculation is all we have.

If you want to compare speculation, you can Google just as easily as I can.

Deion and Urban were both linked to Nebraska when Nebraska was the first team to fire its coach, along with every other possible candidate. Not so much now.

If you've found compelling speculation they're both in play, I will happily read your link.  

I don't have compelling speculation they're both in play and nobody has compelling speculation they're not. That's my point. Just because a couple guys on here who don't want them say "we're not hiring them so let's not even talk about them" doesn't make it true.

I'll give you that Urban's name has cooled in the media in the last month, but Deion's name is still being talked about. Quick google has a handful of articles just in the last few days and as recently as today. One "writer" still has Deion in his top 7, so yeah, I'd say he's still being talked about outside of here.

11 minutes ago, lo country said:

Huge Chadwell fan here.  If not HC, then OC for sure. If anyone has watched his offense for more than a quick clip, it's not gimmicky.  It would work in the B1G.  

But why would he be interested in a OC position?   Coach in waiting?    Yes, he has a good system and as Tom proved, if you have the right guys in the system, the system will work when executed well by DEVELOPED players - even in the B1G.  

As much as i want to say recruiting is a problem i dont think its as difficult as you make it seem.  True college athletes want to go someplace they can showcase there talents and get there talent improved on so that can get drafted.  Alot of those guys want to make it to the next level so they will go wherever that will take them.  If this is the case then why isn't hawaii university ranked in the top 25 every year playing for new year 6 bowls.  People want to go where there talent will be used and exposed so they can pump up there draft stock and make it to the next level.  That is why a high profile coach would bring higher profile people here.  The so called splash hire if you will.

5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

But why would he be interested in a OC position?   Coach in waiting?    Yes, he has a good system and as Tom proved, if you have the right guys in the system, the system will work when executed well by DEVELOPED players - even in the B1G.  

I'd like him as a HC tbh.  Think he'd be great.  has won at every stop and worked his way up through the college ranks.  My comment was more in line if folks don't think he's "ready" then maybe they'd feel better as OC.  He will get a P5 option.  I'd be happy if it was from us.  A modernized version of what I think TO would have progressed into.  Imagine AG and AJ on the field at the same time, every time....A mobile QB.....

23 minutes ago, McBrideMafia said:

This will be the only Sanders we'll pull in. Just saying.

555b4cdeecad049130891f6a.jpg

I think that we have 3 categories of perspective coaches.  Based on peoples wishes/opinions they can be moved up or down in each category.  Good, better, best.  My concern is we end up with a guy that's not even "good".  

42 minutes ago, lo country said:

A modernized version of what I think TO would have progressed into.  Imagine AG and AJ on the field at the same time, every time....A mobile QB.....

Yes, I agree.  Tom would have changed wt the times.  I think Frost was merging Fast Oregon with Nebraska Power but he ended up with something not very fast and no power.   Grant, Allen and a good mobile QB plus a TE like Fidone (sp?)  and Trey Palmer on the outside to keep the D honest - a great combo. Imagine Frazier wt a receiver like Palmer  - that fake triple option pull back to pass would be deadly wt a good WR who wasn't a glorified blocker.  Of course, we'd want a passer better than Frazier but you get the idea. 

26 minutes ago, husker009 said:

Matt Campbell is the most overrated coach in the history of college football. His only good year came during 2020 when he was playing every one's scout teams. 

^^ This.  +1.  Thanks. .. etc. 

But he may be the only one who'll come here. 

2 hours ago, admo said:

If Mickey doesn't become HC, bon voyage current talent.  And recruits.

This whole thing could get fugly.

I'm not so sure about that.

What if he doesn't get it but the new HC retains him as WR coach and he gets a promotion to AHC and/or passing coordinator. A real possibility I would think.

And even if he were to leave you can't be held hostage in picking a new HC by worrying about some current players and recruits leaving.