Who should our next HC be?

I completely understand wanting a big-name guy to move the needle, especially in recruiting… But I don’t believe it has to be that type of person to get dudes here. most on the board believe MJ is not a household name and would not be considered for any many other HC Giggs based on his résumé, yet he is an amazing recruiter. It will always be difficult to recruit five * to Lincoln Nebraska. This is why it’s more important to get a developer then anything else. I think expecting nine wins within the next three years is a little too optimistic. It would be wonderful, and you might catch lightning in a bottle like Michigan State did through the portal, but that is not how you build a program and it will be a seesaw affair. You better learn how to walk before you run, which means building with 6 to 7 winds working your way up after 4 to 5 years 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think 7-9 wins within the next 3 years is reasonable, and that doesn't require some "big name coach".  The playoff spot may be unrealistic, but it would only take one magical season/luck in close game to get there, especially with the 12-team playoff coming soon.

I am sorry, i just refuse to believe that.  I absolutely refuse to believe that.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am curious where "everyone wants the program to be".  I think people want NU to go from 3-4-5 wins which they have been at for most of the past 8 years to go right to 9-10-11 wins in no time.  To me, that's unrealistic expectations.  The program will need to get back to winning 7-8-9 wins, before fans should start expecting more.

and your right but you would probably see more positive results leading you that way from a so call big hire instead of not within the first year thats all Im saying. A coach that is a established name has more reputation as a head coach is more likely to lead you to 7-8 wins instead of 5 or 6. Does it make a hugh difference by 2 or 3 wins? I think for the fan base and where they are at yes but for you maybe not. I understand your points though.

I understand people want to get up to the level of Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State (and soon to be USC) within the conference.  That is a great long-term goal.  However, NU needs to learn how to beat the middle of the pack teams in the Big Ten.  That is what hasn't happened in the past 8 years.  NU fans think that NU is better than all of these mid-tier Big Ten teams, but the records show differently recently.

I am down on the talent (including development and depth) of the roster, but the good news is that teams like Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue, Michigan State, and Illinois don't have a big roster/talent advantage over NU.  Yesterday's game showed that, and next week's game will show that NU is close.  NU just needs to get a coach to have the players believe in themselves and learn how to make winning plays, rather than losing plays, while that coach works on re-building the roster and depth.

• Plus1 2
Steve Taylor pushing hard for his guy on Facebook.  I have cooled a bit on Mickey after watching the way he/Whipple manage the clock-  I would agree- if it was Mickey- we should have announced it by now.

"Dear Nebraska ,
If you do not adapt & embrace change you will be extinct ! Mickey J is solely qualified on his resume alone ... being a person of color + former player is just an added bonus an intangible that could make a huge difference . He has earned the right to succeed or fail on is on merit just like all the previous Head Coaches !! It was totally embarrassing as the announcers repeatedly mention that NU has not had a minority Head Coach In any sport at the University Of Nebraska ! So….70% of our athletes are black and 99% of our coaches & Administrators are white. Be Better Big Red
Sincerely & Respectfully,
Steven L. Taylor #9".
  • Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

When you say he has more by how many? Are any of them actually contributors or 3 string sit the bench guys. I ask not to be negative but bc all those things matter if your going to say he has more qbs in the nfl. Meaning how successful are they at being a qb in the nfl.

He's got three (Wentz, Lance, Easton Stick) and Dabo has two (Lawrence and Watson). 

His eye for talent is quite good. Having 2 top 3 picks at QB from NDSU isn't shabby at all. 

7 minutes ago, HANC said:

I completely understand wanting a big-name guy to move the needle, especially in recruiting… But I don’t believe it has to be that type of person to get dudes here. most on the board believe MJ is not a household name and would not be considered for any many other HC Giggs based on his résumé, yet he is an amazing recruiter. It will always be difficult to recruit five * to Lincoln Nebraska. This is why it’s more important to get a developer then anything else. I think expecting nine wins within the next three years is a little too optimistic. It would be wonderful, and you might catch lightning in a bottle like Michigan State did through the portal, but that is not how you build a program and it will be a seesaw affair. You better learn how to walk before you run, which means building with 6 to 7 winds working your way up after 4 to 5 years 

No I refuse to accept that it will always be difficult to recruit 5 star's here. We haven't had the right coach in place for that which includes the staff. Kids will go play for winners thats a proven fact and I hate to bring up the past with TO but he was attracting 5 star kids all over the country bc he was a winner. Yes I know your going to say that their are better schools out there and better options but Im proving to you it has been done here. All it takes is the right coach to attract kids but he has to be a winner first that kids believe in.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Vizsla1 said:
Steve Taylor pushing hard for his guy on Facebook.  I have cooled a bit on Mickey after watching the way he/Whipple manage the clock-  I would agree- if it was Mickey- we should have announced it by now.

"Dear Nebraska ,
If you do not adapt & embrace change you will be extinct ! Mickey J is solely qualified on his resume alone ... being a person of color + former player is just an added bonus an intangible that could make a huge difference . He has earned the right to succeed or fail on is on merit just like all the previous Head Coaches !! It was totally embarrassing as the announcers repeatedly mention that NU has not had a minority Head Coach In any sport at the University Of Nebraska ! So….70% of our athletes are black and 99% of our coaches & Administrators are white. Be Better Big Red
Sincerely & Respectfully,
Steven L. Taylor #9".

Mickey himself confirmed that Trev didn't bother interviewing him so we can rhule him out completely. Thank Goodness. 

25 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Man, there is a bunch of way too depressed people on here today.  Did that one loss to Wisconsin yesterday make everyone that crazy?  I don't know how that game has suddenly changed people's mindset, but the Wisconsin game pretty much happened how so many games have happened the past 5 years.  I've been saying all year the program is broken.  But that doesn't mean there isn't a coach out there who can get NU back to winning.  It just takes one coach, and that doesn't necessarily need to be a "big name".

100%. We've seen around the country, if there aren't signs of significant progress by year 2, you don't have the right guy most likely

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

No I refuse to accept that it will always be difficult to recruit 5 star's here. We haven't had the right coach in place for that which includes the staff. Kids will go play for winners thats a proven fact and I hate to bring up the past with TO but he was attracting 5 star kids all over the country bc he was a winner. Yes I know your going to say that their are better schools out there and better options but Im proving to you it has been done here. All it takes is the right coach to attract kids but he has to be a winner first that kids believe in.

TO was great at recruiting talent, but it wasn't 5-stars all across the board.  He and his staff was evaluating and recruiting 3-4 star players, developing them, and coaching them. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

100%. We've seen around the country, if there aren't signs of significant progress by year 2, you don't have the right guy most likely

I've always gone with the "rule of thumb" that if a coach is taking over a losing team/program (which NU is right now), and that coach should be able to show he can win 8-9 wins within 3 years to show he can have long-term success at that school.  So, we are close in our opinion on timing.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

We get the right coach and the talent will follow.  Say Urb comes here.  You are a 5* player.  Your chances of starting here and getting a lions share of NIL is EXCEPTIONALLY better at NU than say any other top program because all of the focus would be on them.  You would be a part of a roster with fewer "talented" players.  Not on a Bama or OSU or USC or UGA roster with 75% 4-5* athletes.  The right coach will get the talent, get the wins and get us back.  I just do not know who that coach will be be.  NU, IMHO, can not handle 3-5 more years of this crap.  We are getting too far removed from any sense of respectability.....And the thought that we need to get back to 6-7 wins, while correct, shows how badly we need "the guy" hired now.  Not 5-8 years after we become average...

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

TO was great at recruiting talent, but it wasn't 5-stars all across the board.  He and his staff was evaluating and recruiting 3-4 star players, developing them, and coaching them. 

Thats true but he did attract 5 star kids here thats my point. It may have not been across the board but we still had some. Nebraska can and will draw 5 star kids here if you put a winner in place that they will follow.  It may not be many but some is better then none. Once you get those players you need great developers in order for those players to make contributions.

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Thats true but he did attract 5 star kids here thats my point. It may have not been across the board but we still had some. Nebraska can and will draw 5 star kids here if you put a winner in place that they will follow.  It may not be many but some is better then none. Once you get those players you need great developers in order for those players to make contributions.

Who were the 5-star recruits which Tom Osborne recruited to NU?  Give me names.  I think you are over-estimating the number of 5-stars that TO brought in.  I honestly don't think there was such a thing as star ratings until the 90s.

• Plus1 3