Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, M.A. said:

I think that Alberts is working mighty diligently to get us a good coach. With some of the names that have been mentioned even I’ve begun to wonder and have doubts.

We really do need to have realistic expectations. There has to be mutual interest for there to be an agreement. That would seem obvious but we have to recognize that we can’t have about any coach we want. 

As an employer, you hire the applicant that expresses interest or one that you’ve successfully recruited. I’m not saying that an exceptional candidate can’t be acquired only that it’s unlikely. Right now it’s a good job and also one that has its own unique challenges. 

The task isn’t a simple one for Trev. I think that he’s being painstakingly thorough. There’s a lot of  things he has to negotiate through. 

One of my concerns - something that others have touched upon - is that he probably started reaching out to potential candidates last year, when Frost's seat was getting really hot. The problem is that some of those he likely reached out to - Campbell, for example - have lost some of their luster since then.

• Plus1 2

I am not rooting for Campbell to get the nod at HC down in Lincoln, but the hate on this board has gone completely overboard. Campbell has taken a turd and shined it up as nice as you can at Iowa State. He has his knocks sure, but what he does is produce some NFL talent and his lines are always tough. If he had the monetary support of a University like Nebraska I think he would thrive tbh. My knocks and why I don't have Campbell in my top five (still disappointed Trev hasn't confided in me for what I think) are the fact he doesn't have a full time special teams coach and there is a good chance he doesn't bring Mickey with him. I know there is a chance of the ladder with all the candidates with the exception of Aranda as I am assuming he would keep Mickey and Busch to be major parts of his new staff. Calling Campbell trash, however is inaccurate to say the least. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
33 minutes ago, husker009 said:

Does anyone here think Campbell can recruit at an elite level at all? From what I’ve read he refuses to go after five star players at Iowa State because he feels they are toxic. That is not how any program gets to an elite level. Deion would recruit at an elite level, but I’m not sure about his coaching ability. Kiffin or Klieman are the best choices in my opinion.

What makes you think that Klieman is any better at recruiting than Campbell?

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, admo said:

To clarify the Deion story.

I friend of mine sent me a text which is exactly what I wrote previously.  He doesn't follow college football, only NFL, but knows I like the Huskers and that's why he sent the text to see if I heard the news.  I told him "that has to be a joke, even if it sounds pretty cool".  He replied "that's everything I heard them say.  They sounded serious to me."  

I asked who reported it and he didn't know.

So I passed it along - although I should have put in rumorville lol.  

The optimist in me knows that radio station is a legit sports station and the official station of the Dallas Cowboys. No doubt those guys have their ear to the ground with the Cowboys and no doubt Deion still has a lot of connections within the Cowboys. I listen to them very little, but I wouldn't think they'd be the type to just report on internet fan chatter. The Ticket doesn't even do much of that and they are much more of a frat house, less serious about sports than The Fan. So, not sure why they'd even mention it unless there was at least a little something to it. The pessimist in me questions why it hasn't been picked up anywhere else.

33 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Of course he doesn't.

Can we stop talking about losers like Campbell and Leipold and get back to discussing winners like Urban and Deion? Trev's not offering Campbell or Leipold and neither of them is leaving their programs anyway.

See how it works?

Deion needs about 6 more championships and around 120 more wins to start to consider him a winner over Leipold lol 

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, husker009 said:

Does anyone here think Campbell can recruit at an elite level at all? From what I’ve read he refuses to go after five star players at Iowa State because he feels they are toxic. That is not how any program gets to an elite level. Deion would recruit at an elite level, but I’m not sure about his coaching ability. Kiffin or Klieman are the best choices in my opinion.

Yeah that's why 5 stars won't go iowa state

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

One of my concerns - something that others have touched upon - is that he probably started reaching out to potential candidates last year, when Frost's seat was getting really hot. The problem is that some of those he likely reached out to - Campbell, for example - have lost some of their luster since then.

Yes, Trev probably reached out to them, but doesn't mean that Trev has settled on him.  I have seen things on Twitter from a few NU media members saying that NU fans will like the hire, based on name alone.  I don't know who they are exactly saying, but this is leaning toward a bigger name (Chris Petersen).  Mike'l Severe has stated that he really likes Leipold, but he doesn't think Trev hires Leipold.

28 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Deion needs about 6 more championships and around 120 more wins to start to consider him a winner over Leipold lol 

Division 1...

Leipold

49% winning percentage

0 conference titles

Sanders

80% winning percentage

1 conference title

And both took over dumpster fire programs.

Deion > Leipold

Cherry picking stats is fun.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

So what do you think about Leipold then?

This is my personal feeling on him. Good coach bc he can coach but does it mean he can bring enough talent in to Nebraska? He is a developer coach. I think Nebraska needs a developer coach and a ace recruiter to compete and not be a middle of a pack team. There isn't much indication on how Leipold or Campbell would do here. Yes they have had some success but for me their names don't have a certain buzz to them.