Who should our next HC be?

6 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

No. He doesn't get any pass, and its because the way this went down. He knew this was likely coming by this time last year. He had from then until the start of the season to prepare. He then fired Frost after 3 games, so that he had three months a head start on the official search process. In doing so, he cost the university an extra $7.5 million. If he bungles this, it is all on him, and if it is bungled. I will believe the reports of him pinching pennies. What's that saying? Penny smart, pound foolish? A good Nebraska football program pays for itself 10 fold. With what Nebraska can pay, and the resources and facilities, there is no reason he should not be able to grab a tier one coach. 

Can't disagree with you more.

1. To think the search is not fluid is foolish. "He knew this was likely coming" "He had from then until the start" ... Let's see, Kiffin wasn't available, Aranda was but also not a viable reality, Rhule was in the NFL, Prime Time was even a more unproven commodity at that time.. so, your comment here is a stretch at best.

2. "He fired Frost after 3 games", yes and again, many possible candidates were in the heart of the season and not wanting to create distractions therefore likely responding with we can speak closer to the end of the season privately. Again, your comment at best is a HUGE stretch.

3. "Penny smart, pound foolish" - You're making assumptions of which you have zero real insight into is the only foolish truth. 

Not trying to offend you as I've always respected your posts. So I was shocked when I read this post. 

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don't know how much (at all???) you can believe former DB Bryan Wilson, but he is saying that Trev has been putting out lowball offers ($4M-$6M) and it has turned off a lot of candidates.  Trev has since upped an offer to Rhule that is close to $8M.

This also jives with Mav saying about Trev is being cheap with assistants Rhule was asking for.

Here is the twitter thread.

This isn't directed at you Red, but that Twitter thread reads like a whole lot of nonsense. Not only is it written in an incoherently rambling format that makes some of our posters look like Edgar Allen Poe, but he later admits that his information is coming from a "paid" message board of people with vague connections.

I'm not saying he's lying, but reading that thread makes me want to buy Lars Anderson stock... and THAT'S saying something.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
24 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Can't disagree with you more.

1. To think the search is not fluid is foolish. "He knew this was likely coming" "He had from then until the start" ... Let's see, Kiffin wasn't available, Aranda was but also not a viable reality, Rhule was in the NFL, Prime Time was even a more unproven commodity at that time.. so, your comment here is a stretch at best.

2. "He fired Frost after 3 games", yes and again, many possible candidates were in the heart of the season and not wanting to create distractions therefore likely responding with we can speak closer to the end of the season privately. Again, your comment at best is a HUGE stretch.

3. "Penny smart, pound foolish" - You're making assumptions of which you have zero real insight into is the only foolish truth. 

Not trying to offend you as I've always respected your posts. So I was shocked when I read this post. 

Any P5 athletic director in the country should have 5 names in his desk drawer in case they need a football coach. Trev should have went into this season with 15. 

If he wanted to fire Frost in the off-season, who was his pick then? 

This whole thing is going to either underwhelm or over deliver. What a time in the world! 

20 hours ago, knapplc said:

We're spending $160 million on a new football facility. $1 million/year for good OC/DC is nothing. 

There is simply no truth to this rumor. Stop wringing your hands over something completely without foundation.

QFT because I think some people need to process this again.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Any P5 athletic director in the country should have 5 names in his desk drawer in case they need a football coach. Trev should have went into this season with 15. 

If he wanted to fire Frost in the off-season, who was his pick then? 

This whole thing is going to either underwhelm or over deliver. What a time in the world! 

And what if those names tell the AD no when he calls. Then what? People act like the coaches being considered don't have agency of their own. Many of them or their agents will talk to an AD with no intent to leave their current position but to get a pay raise. And that's before considering that there are other AD's looking to hire a coach as well. It's not nearly as simple as you're making it out to be.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

This isn't directed at you Red, but that Twitter thread reads like a whole lot of nonsense. Not only is it written in an incoherently rambling format that makes some of our posters look like Edgar Allen Poe, but he later admits that his information is coming from a "paid" message board of people with vague connections.

I'm not saying he's lying, but reading that thread makes me want to buy Lars Anderson stock... and THAT'S saying something.

What's especially funny is he admits later in a reply that Leipold would be an "incredible hire". So wtf is he even saying 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
10 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary……Quoth the Raven, nevermore.

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
Just now, JJ Husker said:

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary……Quoth the Raven, nevermore.

Here's my poetic contribution, inspired by Bryan Wilson:

Internet speak good

Tell me coaching search make sad

Source: message board crumbs

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

What's especially funny is he admits later in a reply that Leipold would be an "incredible hire". So wtf is he even saying 

Yeah, of all the people I'd look to for insider info. on the Husker coaching search, a former DB I don't remember just second-hand spilling rumors from a vague group of 'paid message board insiders' is pretty low on the list.

It's comical to me how many people will lap this stuff up and have mild panic attacks about it while seemingly dunking on paid journalists. I mean, the journos are likely saying some dumb stuff too, but they generally will vet out the REALLY dumb stuff that just can't be verified.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
Just now, Enhance said:

Yeah, of all the people I'd look to for insider info. on the Husker coaching search, a former DB I don't remember just second-hand spilling rumors from a vague group of 'paid message board insiders' is pretty low on the list.

It's comical to me how many people will lap this stuff up and have mild panic attacks about it while seemingly dunking on paid journalists. I mean, the journos are likely saying some dumb stuff too, but they generally will vet out the REALLY dumb stuff that just can't be verified.

Its all a Rorschach test right now. People believe what they already did and a lot of people just always things everything is s#!tty so they will latch on to anyone saying we are f#&%ing it up.