Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Eh, I think a lot of people fall into the great big middle where they want to believe Nebraska is worthy of a top HC candidate but could also live with Mickey. 

What's interesting to me is how Mickey made the Frost defenders virtually evaporate. And there were quite a few of them. 

I like Mickey, but I worry we'd fall right back in with people accepting way too much again with him being a former Husker also. I would really like to see these former players not be coaches and the rest to stop meddling (TO needs to go away). Let the past be honored but not let it dictate the path forward.  Get fresh blood in here and let's move forward.

• Plus1 3

8 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I like Mickey, but I worry we'd fall right back in with people accepting way too much again with him being a former Husker also. I would really like to see these former players not be coaches and the rest to stop meddling (TO needs to go away). Let the past be honored but not let it dictate the path forward.  Get fresh blood in here and let's move forward.

This is exactly what I have been hoping for, as soon as Frost was fired.  I was ready for a fresh start and moving forward with the rebuild of the program.  Unfortunately, too many fans think that a tie to the past is what's needed to "move forward", which doesn't make any sense.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The reason I think that head coaching experience is essential with this hire, is because this PROGRAM IS BROKEN!!  I want a guy who has built programs before and can get NU back in the right direction and expectations of winning.  Solich took over a program at its peak.  Bo took over a losing team, but I wouldn't call it a losing program, and there was a good amount of talent when he took over.  Mickey may be able to do that program rebuild, but I think there is more risk putting that task to a guy who doesn't have head coaching experience.

Josh Heupel didn't have experienced before UCF. Was there 2 years and did ok. Them boom.....Tennessee. You build a program through the transfer portal these days. This isn't back in the day. Ask Sonny Dykes. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

This is exactly what I have been hoping for, as soon as Frost was fired.  I was ready for a fresh start and moving forward with the rebuild of the program.  Unfortunately, too many fans think that a tie to the past is what's needed to "move forward", which doesn't make any sense.

Well.....the athletic director is a former player and Tom talks regularly with both he and Joseph.....so I'm not sure you need to worry about what the fans think.

7 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

Josh Heupel didn't have experienced before UCF. Was there 2 years and did ok. Them boom.....Tennessee. You build a program through the transfer portal these days. This isn't back in the day. Ask Sonny Dykes. 

I agree that Heupel and Dykes have done great jobs at quick turnarounds.  I also think that those coaches better situations than what NU has currently.  I know a quick turnaround can be done quickly, but let's see if Tennessee and TCU maintain these records before saying their rebuilds are complete.  I would love NU to have a single year like Tennessee and TCU, but I am also looking for long-term viability.

35 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Let the past be honored but not let it dictate the path forward.  Get fresh blood in here and let's move forward.

Like Solich adjusting to a combination option, rpo offense

Like Callahan's West Coast Offense

Like, Bo's modern power run and option offense

Like Riley's Pro Set offense

Like Frost's RPO offense

Seems to me only two coach's above had success here and both ran a version of TO's offense.

- Solich was fired for breaking off his engagement to Perlman's daughter 1 and 2, for TO choosing him to lead the Freshman team over Petersen... (So, vendetta)

- Pelini was fired by his own character flaws and inability to control his temper. There was also divide between him and a certain AD (we don't speak his name).

Nebraska will never have the recruiting base to compete for the best national talent and though NIL will be a huge tool the truth is, University's with a large recruiting base of in state talent (tOSU) will always have an upper hand in recruiting. The advantage that TO/Solich/Pelini had was they weren't competing in recruiting with the tOSU, Bama's, Texas, etc... and that is what imo (limited as it is, very limited) has been the downfall for the Callahan's, Riley's, Frost's... (well, Callahan was defense as his offense was fire).. Regardless, if a University in a state with the population of Nebraska can't consistently move the ball by eating clock and running the ball, well.. history shows it doesn't work well. The two coaches often mentioned that we know will run the ball are Monken (Army) and Leipold (Kansas)... 

Personally, if either Monken or Leipold are hired or if Mickey Joseph is given the reigns I'll be dancin because I think it's apparent that MJ, like Bo, Like Solich, Like TO wants to run the rock first. Monken and Leipold fit this mold as well. So yes, I am one of those "Run The Cotton Picken Rock Dudes"...

That's all, Have a wonderful and memorable evening Saturday Nov 4th following a Nebraska victory and an MJ announcement:koolaid2::):woo

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Well.....the athletic director is a former player and Tom talks regularly with both he and Joseph.....so I'm not sure you need to worry about what the fans think.

I remember you assuring us that Moos/Trev and Frost had everything under control and not to worry our purty little heads. 

Fans still buy tickets and swag and donate millions to fire coaches three weeks quicker, so it's sometimes prudent to care what fans think. 

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I remember you assuring us that Moos/Trev and Frost had everything under control and not to worry our purty little heads. 

Fans still buy tickets and swag and donate millions to fire coaches three weeks quicker, so it's sometimes prudent to care what fans think. 

I guess I missed that $7.5 million gofundme campaign.

And, according to ColoradoHusk, it apparently is what the fans want anyway.....or many fans, or a majority of the fans pr whatever.

27 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'd argue that GA Southern, not Mickey that chased out all the Frost defenders.

Yeah, you'd think so if you went by this board or the straight-up sports sites. But man, if you followed Facebook and the Comments section of UNL sponsored sites, there was still a s#!t ton of loyalty to poor Scott Frost who had been betrayed by Chinandar, and more to the point, there was a lot of hand-wringing that if we fired Scott Frost, our last and only hope, no coach would ever want to come here. And that was the week after GA Southern. 

When they realized we had another former Nebraska quarterback already on the job, and stories about Bad Scott Frost started getting traction, the legion of casual fans immediately rallied around Mickey. And stayed there. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The difference between a fan and a booster just so happens to be $7.5 million. 

Ish.

The point I was making though was some want to move on from the 90s, which is not going to happen with a 90s Husker leading the athletic department and Tom still influential.

And that will be true whether Joseph loses the interim title or goes elsewhere.