To the People Singing the Offenses’ Praises

husker009

• husker009 changed the title to To the People Singing the Offenses’ Praises

We all realize the quality of competition, but the offense has done its job each time so far. Some issues to work on, sure, no one's saying its the Scoring Explosion come back to life, but there's clearly good pieces there. The skill guys look good. I think Casey Thompson is a good QB.

Will they put up similar stats on Oklahoma or the rest of the Big Ten? Doubtful. But they clearly are at least serviceable.

• Plus1 4

But ‘close’ to either 3-0 or 0-3 vs those weaker opponents.   

A long way to go and a short time to get there.  Better plan for next year and in the meantime, let’s do the best we can and build valuable, desperately needed depth via game experience!   

Let it all hang out and just play so damned hard that the opponents remember playing us, win or lose.  

Husker Power!   

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, husker009 said:

We have played the three worst teams on the schedule. Northwestern, North Dakota, and Georgia Southern are not the best measuring sticks for how potent an offense is. Grant has looked good, but it was against physically inferior d-lines. This offense couldn’t even crack 30 against Northwestern. 

And here I was thinking opposing defenses were about to get way easier starting with Oklahoma.  
:facepalm:

• Haha 5

I haven't seen anyone proclaiming our offense is amazingly great.  However, they have scored 28, 38 and 42 points.  Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I don't remember them putting the defense in bad situations with turnovers giving the other team short fields in the losses.  I know it didn't happen this game.  

I don't know what anyone expects more from the offense against an FCS team.  42 points, 575 yards, zero turnovers.  They marched down the field at the end of the game 98 yards for a go ahead TD.  We have a 100 yard rusher in every game.  

They have done enough to win games.  Are they going to be able to do it against OU and the rest of the schedule?  I have no idea.  I'm assuming they will not put up the stats they have been.  They might even look horrible the rest of the way against good teams.  But....it's not the offense's fault we are sitting at 1-2.  It's not special team's fault either.

This record falls squarely on the defense.  

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, presidentjlh said:

Will they put up similar stats on Oklahoma or the rest of the Big Ten? Doubtful. But they clearly are at least serviceable.

I agree with that term, "serviceable."  I worry about the O-line most. 

Wish the D seemed serviceable.  

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, admo said:

So, with new players, new starters, new rotations, new OC, different plays, new OL Coach, etc... there is no excuse or time to work together and improve?  That is literally what the early season games are for.

I am not as worried, son.  If you want to, go for it.  

Exactly.  Were they perfect in the NW game?  No.  Have they improved every game?  Yes.

Now, those were against FCS teams.  But, I remember some FCS teams where our offense didn't do this well.  Now, they have to prove it against good teams.  I'm a heck of a lot more confident in them doing that then our defense being able to do it.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Exactly.  Were they perfect in the NW game?  No.  Have they improved every game?  Yes.

Now, those were against FCS teams.  But, I remember some FCS teams where our offense didn't do this well.  Now, they have to prove it against good teams.  I'm a heck of a lot more confident in them doing that then our defense being able to do it.

Yep.  

You are only good as your last game.  Without Vokolek at TE, we still showed up very nicely the way we moved the ball (long drives) and scoring points (42).  Even got in FG range to tie it up and send it to OT. 

The backs - #10 and #9 look like a solid, exciting duo.  The blocking wasn't always great, but quick decisions and accurate throws by #11..... combined with the running game with "running backs" kept getting us moving the chains as much as possible.  Scored a lot of points and I feel like the confidence is growing with the offense.  No better time than right now.