*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

On 9/1/2023 at 9:05 PM, Toe said:

Too funny.   And too scary as to ... it being quite possibly spot on.  I know I know, just one game under his belt.  sigh But yeah... there is familiarity to this. 

Anyway, GBR, etc.. so on, so forth.

• Haha 1

I know coaches pretend they don't "look ahead" and all that crap but...

About 3 weeks ago, it looked like a 4-0 start was a real possibility...putting NU around the 15-20 mark in the rankings with top 3/4 Michigan coming to town and tons of feel good stories, lots of coverage, playing a game with nothing to lose vs a team that sucks at blowing teams out, so it would probably be "close"

Now...5 bad minutes of FB and CU getting a win over a super over ranked TCU has changed that.  He knows that, he feels it.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

I know coaches pretend they don't "look ahead" and all that crap but...

About 3 weeks ago, it looked like a 4-0 start was a real possibility...putting NU around the 15-20 mark in the rankings with top 3/4 Michigan coming to town and tons of feel good stories, lots of coverage, playing a game with nothing to lose vs a team that sucks at blowing teams out, so it would probably be "close"

Now...5 bad minutes of FB and CU getting a win over a super over ranked TCU has changed that.  He knows that, he feels it.

We are Nebraska, a 4-0 start was never a real possibility dude. :lol:  

• Haha 1

Frankly, nobody knew much about the team except what has been previously.  The only thing we had was old film on transfers and high school highlights.  

Nobody actually watched the practices except a spring game. Those are staged practices with most or all the roster playing partial games with mix and match line ups etc.  

Minnesota was our first look.  It was a funky first half (only 3 possessions and one started from our own 1 yard line to begin the season).  
It was Minny’s first game but not a new system or staff etc.  They were favored and playing at home.  They are an 8-9 win program. We are a 3-4 win program.   Considering all the circumstances, I think a 3 point loss with 4 turnovers and plenty of costly penalties is a net positive. 

Colorado is different.  It is game 2 but they have dramatically changed a half dozen key players that are BIG difference makers.  Another road game with a fired up team and crowd, and plenty of questions to yet be answered.   They beat us multiple times recently.  Nobody respects or fears us.  This Nebraska squad is still at best a major rebuild and the bumps and skips will continue.   If Colorado is suddenly a top 15 team, it will be a major challenge.   

We have avoided major injuries to key spots but WRs are still a serious concern. Talent abounds but they are mostly freshmen.  This game could be wide open (good or bad) for us.  But this team will improve if they don’t get discouraged too quickly.  We need 6 games or so to start gelling.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
  • Mavric unpinned this topic