New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE

TGHusker

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Did he coach in that game?  For some reason I thought I heard him say he did not 

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He did not

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/husker-notes-nebraska-dc-tony-white-has-minnesota-on-mind-again-after-bowl-game-run/article_f98dc757-4921-5370-8559-9403842c377d.html

He said he did not have "game responsibilities", but this still aids the Gophers to a degree as it was largely the same defense.  Definitely more than starting from scratch. 

38 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He did not

That's what I was thinking but hesitated to post it since I wasn't sure. Regardless, looking at the stats it's hard to see how Minn. won that game. Syracuse dominated in about every category. But they did have 2 turnovers and Minn had 118 KO return yards on 3 kicks.

Screenshot2023-08-08at6_23_38PM.thumb.png.9c9fada1a5a4134ecc775d260945e081.png

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, runningblind said:

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/husker-notes-nebraska-dc-tony-white-has-minnesota-on-mind-again-after-bowl-game-run/article_f98dc757-4921-5370-8559-9403842c377d.html

He said he did not have "game responsibilities", but this still aids the Gophers to a degree as it was largely the same defense.  Definitely more than starting from scratch. 

Well his defense that he wasn't calling plays for only gave up 28 points.  I also didn't watch the game so I don't know if the offense or special teams gave up points.  Or what the average field position was.  Two different people calling plays for the same defense or offense can net very different outcomes 

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Well his defense that he wasn't calling plays for only gave up 28 points.  I also didn't watch the game so I don't know if the offense or special teams gave up points.  Or what the average field position was.  Two different people calling plays for the same defense or offense can net very different outcomes 

Minn had a 70 yd pick six. That and Syracuse kicking 2 FGs instead of getting a TD were the difference.

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, runningblind said:

And, we have a DC that has studied Minnesota and has experience against them. They don’t know what he’s going to do with our personnel. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, we have a DC that has studied Minnesota and has experience against them. They don’t know what he’s going to do with our personnel. 

Glad to see that 7 of Minnesota's points were due to the pick-6 (can't put that on the D).

A bit off the subject of Tony White (but something he will have to deal with) is the new face of the Minnesota RB, with Ibrahim now in the NFL (Detroit Lions). What I find odd is that they guy behind him on the depth charts (Trey Potts), TRANSFERS to Penn St. with 2 years of eligibility left. It's closer to his PA home, but he will likely be mostly depth there.

What is the Penn State plan for Trey Potts ahead of preseason camp?

Trey Potts opens up on Minnesota career, Penn State transfer and upcoming move to Happy Valley

Meanwhile, Minnesota grabs a transfer portal guy to be their presumptive starter:

Mohamed Ibrahim departs, will this opportunity mean an upgrade or a downgrade for Gopher running backs?

• TBH 1
34 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Glad to see that 7 of Minnesota's points were due to the pick-6 (can't put that on the D).

A bit off the subject of Tony White (but something he will have to deal with) is the new face of the Minnesota RB, with Ibrahim now in the NFL (Detroit Lions). What I find odd is that they guy behind him on the depth charts (Trey Potts), TRANSFERS to Penn St. with 2 years of eligibility left. It's closer to his PA home, but he will likely be mostly depth there.

What is the Penn State plan for Trey Potts ahead of preseason camp?

Trey Potts opens up on Minnesota career, Penn State transfer and upcoming move to Happy Valley

Meanwhile, Minnesota grabs a transfer portal guy to be their presumptive starter:

Mohamed Ibrahim departs, will this opportunity mean an upgrade or a downgrade for Gopher running backs?

I try to not even attempt to understand transfers anymore. 

• 1 month later...