Arrival/Departure List 2022-23

There are two guys still listed on the roster that are no longer with the team.  But Rhule apparently lets guys make their own announcements before the team does anything official.  My read is they are not key contributors but it wasn't really said who.

Also, there are about five guys who would be expected to be scholarship guys who are technically walk-ons now and getting NIL deals to make up the difference.  Trent Hixson and Brody Belt did that last year.  There were some speculations awhile ago but we probably won't find out who any time soon.

• 1 month later...

I think Gilbert will not be cleared. The recent rulings of waiver needed instant transfers have been largely denied. Spring they thought he would because last year they cleared about everyone. Then for seemingly no rhyme or reason everyone is now denied. The NCAA continues to prove they have no direction, reason & or rhyme. A headless organization that is rotting from the inside out. 

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 3
1 minute ago, Decked said:

I think Gilbert will not be cleared. The recent rulings of waiver needed instant transfers have been largely denied. Spring they thought he would because last year they cleared about everyone. 

I know I'm saying the obvious. But...then just friggen tell him and the team.  There is literally no reason why situations like this need to drag out a long time.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know I'm saying the obvious. But...then just friggen tell him and the team.  There is literally no reason why situations like this need to drag out a long time.

Who knows if it has been ruled on yet. Gilbert is either preparing to go pro or play next year. There’s a lot that hasn’t leaked out yet. Player departure is one of them. There’s a few scholarship guys that have taken the option to stay as a student only. They have yet to be named. 

19 hours ago, Mavric said:

Not that I've seen.

Doesn't look promising, imo.

That's where I am at as well.  Figure he would have been cleared by now.  But as others have said, tell him and NU so Rhule and Co can get going on a plan for him to not play TE this year. NCAA is ridiculous in the way they "regulate"...

• Plus1 1

Roster updated, and it looks like the 2 guys Mavric mentioned above may be Seth Malcom and Chase Androff... (ah, I see this is stated elsewhere, too.)

On 6/16/2023 at 8:50 AM, Mavric said:

There are two guys still listed on the roster that are no longer with the team.  But Rhule apparently lets guys make their own announcements before the team does anything official.  My read is they are not key contributors but it wasn't really said who.

Also, there are about five guys who would be expected to be scholarship guys who are technically walk-ons now and getting NIL deals to make up the difference.  Trent Hixson and Brody Belt did that last year.  There were some speculations awhile ago but we probably won't find out who any time soon.

• Plus1 1
On 1/26/2023 at 1:03 PM, Red Five said:

It will be interesting to see what this looks like come fall.  I know the 101 will become 85, so the 147 will automatically become 131.  But 131 is still way to many kids IMO.  I think the sweet spot is somewhere around 105-110 (about 5 walk-ons/year).

137 on the roster to start fall camp.

• Oh Yeah! 1

I just don’t get the desire to get rid of players and cut the squad down to 115.  150+ might be too high but assuming a typical 5 years to play 4 system, that’s 25 new per year x 5 years = 125.  

Only 5 walk-ins per year?  Half the walk ons and probably 10% of scholarships won’t stick around for more than a couple years (quit fb, transfers, failing academics, just failed at fb, injuries, legal, personal problems, etc.).   This is normal attrition and has been historically Id say. 

Rhule seems to be recruiting some dam good athletes.  Hopefully, with luck, 65% of them end up sticking and developing into starter caliber guys.   This roster is revolving fast.  Roughly 35 juniors and seniors I believe.  Considering Covid added a bunch which is fast washing out, the current gross numbers are not excessive imo.  I’d expect another 10-15 guys to drop off by season’s end, excluding those graduating / exhausting eligibility.  Changing systems, coaching, rules, $$$, etc.  There will always be ‘turbulence’ of some sort. It’s the nature of the beast but hopefully after 2024 season, the roster is more balanced and distributed across positions by age and experience and an identity and schematics are much more settled down.  

Seasons are trending a bit longer and offenses and defenses more complex with packages and personnel groupings. Today’s game seems to be where there are more like 32 ‘starters’ on each side of the ball.  You need at least 4 deep all over to be competitive and to fill the development pipelines. 

Finally, you need competition all over and you can’t get that with just a couple guys ready to play at most spots.  Injuries could derail the whole season. 

• Mavric unpinned this topic