Jeff Sims

Hayseed

3 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Disagree, most coaches want to win

2 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

2 different situations & no portal. 

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Agree, but people seem to be putting a lot of stock in the portal fixing a lot of our issues in a single off-season. I'm very skeptical.

He wants to win long term, not just next year. You can't build a team long term via the portal, only supplement. You have to build from within, and that will take time. We aren't going to make a bowl next year, don't be expecting that.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, runningblind said:

He wants to win long term, not just next year. You can't build a team long term via the portal, only supplement. You have to build from within, and that will take time. We aren't going to make a bowl next year, don't be expecting that.

I won't expect to make a bowl but definitely will be a bonus if we do make a bowl.  Just show improvement that's all we can ask for.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

35 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I’m not expecting to make a bowl.  But, I disagree that there is no chance make a bowl. 

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m not expecting to make a bowl.  But, I disagree that there is no chance make a bowl. 

Right. At this point I’m not expecting anything. I think we are all a little shell shocked over the past few years. But I will not be shocked if we scratch out 6 wins on that schedule either. Pleasantly surprised yes but something about this coach gives me confidence that the darkness may be ending

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, macroboy said:

It will be interesting to see. Early articles (I think) had Sims saying that the staff told him they had packages for him. That made it sound like he was gonna play but CT was qb1.

The way the staff talked about Sims after signing day was way more positive than I thought the stats or tape shows so…who knows?

And if Hornsby commits here even more confusing.

I have to believe we have some players moving on. Too many schollies in the room right now.

OH I definitely see Rhule using Sims this year in different situations in games that call for it.  But not as a QB controversy.  Inside the 10 and short yardage around midfield for sure.  Because Sims can sling it, and not limited to QB draws or under center to plow for short yard conversions (guarantee we will see QB pushes happening a lot in those situations).

I'm cool with whoever wins the QB job.  But I also think both will see the field. I believe it's Casey's job, and Sims will have to beat out the returning starter.  If you don't think so, then ask yourself if new guys and backups are going to beat out returning starters like Corcoran & Benhart as well.  

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Even though I agree with all of the logical rationale laid out about the difficulties of a first year, I believe if we can go at least 1-1 with the two opening road games and get our feet wet, I think the schedule does facilitate a great opportunity to go bowling. So at the risk of sounding overtly Kool-Aid -ish, I am expecting a bowl.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Comish said:

Even though I agree with all of the logical rationale laid out about the difficulties of a first year, I believe if we can go at least 1-1 with the two opening road games and get our feet wet, I think the schedule does facilitate a great opportunity to go bowling. So at the risk of sounding overtly Kool-Aid -ish, I am expecting a bowl.

I can see that. Im just not going into the season with the idea that we should make a bowl and am going to be upset if we don’t.  

When the season starts, I will fully be in the mode of, if certain things happen, we can go bowling….and then cheer like hell hoping it does.  

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, admo said:

OH I definitely see Rhule using Sims this year in different situations in games that call for it.  But not as a QB controversy.  Inside the 10 and short yardage around midfield for sure.  Because Sims can sling it, and not limited to QB draws or under center to plow for short yard conversions (guarantee we will see QB pushes happening a lot in those situations).

I'm cool with whoever wins the QB job.  But I also think both will see the field. I believe it's Casey's job, and Sims will have to beat out the returning starter.  If you don't think so, then ask yourself if new guys and backups are going to beat out returning starters like Corcoran & Benhart as well.  

While I don't think their will be a qb controversy and do know Jeff Sims will play in certain packages we all hope that the o-line blocks and plays better so Casey Thompson doesn't reinjure his shoulder.  The benefit of having Sims is I think he is significantly quicker then what we have had over the last several qb's and yes that includes Adrian.

33 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

While I don't think their will be a qb controversy and do know Jeff Sims will play in certain packages we all hope that the o-line blocks and plays better so Casey Thompson doesn't reinjure his shoulder.  The benefit of having Sims is I think he is significantly quicker then what we have had over the last several qb's and yes that includes Adrian.

I agree he is very quick (not confusing that with straight ahead speed) and physically stronger.  

Here's the rub....

Pass play

QB needs to read and get rid of the ball in 2.7 - 3.5 seconds. Casey does this a lot, and also many times on the deep balls that land so well for a guy like Tre Palmer to catch in stride and run. Quick screens are out of his hand almost instantly.

When any QB takes more than 4 seconds (4-6) it can be a sack or backyard football..... Scramble, run, go YOLO.  My point is that we've seen this dual-threat backyard ball with Martinez, Armstrong and even with Taylor Martinez.  

Hopefully the staff when get Sims to set his feet when he throws, and can get rid of it without being indecisive.  Casey already has that part down.  Need protection upfront because CT got sacked in 3 seconds as well.