** 2023 Opponent Preview : Colorado (Game 2) **

TGHusker

5 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Another thing that goes along with the QB.........

Whether you ever started or not, the dude, for a good portion of the game, was making lights out throws.  New or not, if you're executing, what difference does it make?

Their QB that was "making lights out throws" completed 54% of his passes.

Our QB who people are making out to be the worst QB in FBS, completed 57% of his throws.

• Plus1 2

I'm not sure I've seen much if any mention of Sims' completion percentage specifically on this board. It's the three interceptions that made us go way negative in the turnover margin that were the biggest problem with his passing game, probably.

The missed open guy for a touchdown wasn't great, but that happens in the college game even to the best quarterbacks.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 5

after watching the first half of the CU vs TCU game I would temper some of the praise for Sanders vs Sims.  Albeit true that Sims did lock onto his main target so did Sanders.  The only difference is most of Sanders first half passes were quick hitters.  He wasn't reading or having to go to his second option.  it was just get the ball and throw to this guy.  Only time he had to go to his second option is when he was flushed out of the pocket. His longer passes where just go routes down the sideline no read involved.  Tonly White needs to take away the short stuff and make sanders hold the ball to give the D line time to work.   I was not overly impressed with TCU's Dline and they got 5 sacks.    

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Tonly White needs to take away the short stuff and make sanders hold the ball to give the D line time to work.

This game is a little bit like the vibe heading into the Indiana game last season when Busch had taken over the team. That was the fifth game of the season and Colorado is game two of this year, but it's similar: I can't see a reason to play our corners deeper off the ball in more of a zone scheme. We played tighter and more in a man-to-man scheme in that Indiana game and it totally paid off.

Play your corners tighter to their assignments and keep the safeties maybe a bit deeper.

I can't see any reason to not be a bit more aggressive on defense in this one. I don't think our offense is even slightly capable of boat-racing these guys because of how shaky the offensive line play has been with some of these guys.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

This game is a little bit like the vibe heading into the Indiana game last season when Busch had taken over the team. That was the fifth game of the season and Colorado is game two of this year, but it's similar: I can't see a reason to play our corners deeper off the ball in more of a zone scheme.

Play your corners tighter to their assignments and keep the safeties maybe a bit deeper.

I can't see any reason to not be a bit more aggressive on defense in this one. I don't think our offense is even slightly capable of boat-racing these guys because of how shaky the offensive line play has been with some of these guys.

I don't mind if they play zone but what I would like to see is picking some spots to switch the zone responsibilities of the safeties and corners.  If corners are supposed to have deep 3rd have them line up like they are man and then stay in the flats and let the safety take that deep 3rd or rover.  I think that would surprise them and could lead to some mistakes by CU with their Quick passes 

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Their QB that was "making lights out throws" completed 54% of his passes.

Our QB who people are making out to be the worst QB in FBS, completed 57% of his throws.

Statistics are like bikinis. What they show you is revealing, but what they hide is VITAL.

Left out of your stat is that Sims completed another 15.8% to the other team.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 3

2 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Statistics are like bikinis. What they show you is revealing, but what they hide is VITAL.

Left out of your stat is that Sims completed another 15.8% to the other team.

I realize that isn't the whole story.  I was just contrasting it with the comments about the other QB.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, GISker said:

Some math genius, earlier, stated 54% completion for Sanders in the game, 37/48 is 80% in my day (can't speak for the 'new math', however)

I think he was talking about the Minnesota QB, but we are in the Colorado thread so I understand your confusion.  I also went to Nebraska though, and the N really does stand for Nowledge.