** 2023 Opponent Preview : Colorado (Game 2) **

TGHusker

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't know what type of defense TCU runs.  But, isn't the 3-3-5 designed to be able to handle an air raid attack?

I'm not going to pretend to know anymore. All I know is that our DBs were glued to the hip of Minny, outside of one play. CU has a much more talented receiving Corp, but I feel like we will be able to compete with them. Controlling those short quick throws is going to be the challenge.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I'm not going to pretend to know anymore. All I know is that our DBs were glued to the hip of Minny, outside of one play. CU has a much more talented receiving Corp, but I feel like we will be able to compete with them. Controlling those short quick throws is going to be the challenge.

I agree.  One of the things that concerns me is the QB athleticism.  Even if we get some pressure on him, he has to be contained in the pocket and I'm not sure we can do that.

But, our D has a shot at keeping them from scoring fewer points than TCU did.

It would be nice to get some success early with maybe a couple sacks or a turnover and see what happens if he gets rattled.

49 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

40% Red would not be bad.  Hope it's even more.

Damn, that's pathetic. Declaring victory because 'only' 40% of the crowd will be Husker fans.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 5
51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  One of the things that concerns me is the QB athleticism.  Even if we get some pressure on him, he has to be contained in the pocket and I'm not sure we can do that.

But, our D has a shot at keeping them from scoring fewer points than TCU did.

It would be nice to get some success early with maybe a couple sacks or a turnover and see what happens if he gets rattled.

Sanders isn't crazy athletic from what I've seen. He's kind of like CT, he can scoot but he's not beating many guys to the edge. Everytime he got outside the pocket with TCU it was a loss unless he got a throw off.

55 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, isn't the 3-3-5 designed to be able to handle an air raid attack?

Yeah, and Rhule actually acknowledged this in (I think) the Monday morning presser.

It's really Nickel. You're taking one "bigger" guy off of your front 7 and replacing him with a quicker guy who's probably better in coverage. On the huskers dot com roster, all secondary players are just listed as "defensive back," so I don't know exactly who might be filling this role mainly on Saturday.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
8 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Sanders isn't crazy athletic from what I've seen. He's kind of like CT, he can scoot but he's not beating many guys to the edge. Everytime he got outside the pocket with TCU it was a loss unless he got a throw off.

OK...thanks for the input.  I guess I assumed he was very athletic due to being Prime's son.  Wrong to assume that.

This makes me feel a little better about that.

49 minutes ago, Toe said:

Damn, that's pathetic. Declaring victory because 'only' 40% of the crowd will be Husker fans.

I know we’ve had a history of painting Folsom field 30%-40% red but I’ll be really surprised if we surpass 25% this time. Tickets have been almost nonexistent and they are priced higher than hell. I don’t think we’ve missed but one NU game in Boulder since the late 80’s but we’re not going this year.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I know we’ve had a history of painting Folsom field 30%-40% red but I’ll be really surprised if we surpass 25% this time. Tickets have been almost nonexistent and they are priced higher than hell. I don’t think we’ve missed but one NU game in Boulder since the late 80’s but we’re not going this year.

I paid 1650 each for four tickets between the 35-40, 10th row -- not missing this one.

• Haha 1

I think our defense this year is very underrated, both by our fans and in the larger landscape. There are no stars on the defensive line, but hey - it's a 3 man front. A big part of the goal with getting pressure is with your outside backers anyway.

I don't think Colorado is going to score as many points against us as they did against TCU.

But I just see our offense struggling all year unless we bring in some creativity in the passing game. Just don't see us winning this game.

This one isn't "the one game I really want to win" this season, though. That game has been Wisconsin for like 8 years running.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I'm so tired of the same flexes year after year from these clowns. You'll never take over our stadium. There's nothing to do in Lincoln. It's a flyover state.

Yeah, guess what, the eastern half of Colorado is flyover too. I've driven from Limon to Burlington. I've been to Holyoke and Sterling. I know what it smells like when the wind blows in from the north from Greeley before a snowstorm.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 3
5 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think our defense this year is very underrated, both by our fans and in the larger landscape. There are no stars on the defensive line, but hey - it's a 3 man front. A big part of the goal with getting pressure is with your outside backers anyway.

I don't think Colorado is going to score as many points against us as they did against TCU.

But I just see our offense struggling all year unless we bring in some creativity in the passing running game. Just don't see us winning this game.

This one isn't "the one game I really want to win" this season, though. That game has been Wisconsin for like 8 years running.

I agree with this...with this one correction.