USC and UCLA to the B1G

6 hours ago, Sker fer life said:

What happened to frost anyway ?  I know he dropped a bunch of coin on a house somewhere but no other news. Sittin back and enjoying the millions he Didn't earn i guess. 

Frost moved to the Phoenix area to lay low for a while. I would say he earned his millions of dollars through the work he did prior to coming to NU. He earned the contract which the college coaching market pays. Frost just didn’t do the work he needed to do to keep that type of contract for the long-term. You may feel that he didn’t work hard enough at NU, but don’t be mad about the money he was paid. 

• Plus1 4

18 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Frost moved to the Phoenix area to lay low for a while. I would say he earned his millions of dollars through the work he did prior to coming to NU. He earned the contract which the college coaching market pays. Frost just didn’t do the work he needed to do to keep that type of contract for the long-term. You may feel that he didn’t work hard enough at NU, but don’t be mad about the money he was paid. 

No he didn't work hard enough here, in fact I think he checked out after year one.  Am I mad about it ? Yes I am mad about it,   but the money part is the least of it.  Your correct in saying that he earned the contract that the college market pays,  it is what it is,  its all the other crap he was doing or not doing while he was here.  If I'm getting paid millions of dollars to run a football program I'm going to bust my hump to get that done.  Show up for practice sober and on time,  call back recruits, maybe try and look interested while on the sideline during games,  you know , coach stuff.  Didn't look to me like frost respected the job for most of his time here,  that's what irritates me.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Funny how Academics used to be a major quality when it came to finding the right fit for moving on a team to join your league.  Now TV exposure holds even more weight than athletic success.  Cal, Stanford Oregon State and Wazzu about to be in the ACC, what strange times.

4 hours ago, Redux said:

Funny how Academics used to be a major quality when it came to finding the right fit for moving on a team to join your league.  Now TV exposure holds even more weight than athletic success.  Cal, Stanford Oregon State and Wazzu about to be in the ACC, what strange times.

I just posted in the ND thread that I dont understand the love for Stanford/Cal joining the B1G because it IS an athletic conference first (currently, driven by football), a TV consortium fast approaching #1, and far down the list a partnership of like-minded academics.

I forgot the name of the person I was listening to on radio this morning, but she was explaining how sports (again mainly football) money/exposure has driven enrollment at Bama resulting in increased academic prestige, and a boon for Tuscaloosa in general (going from sleepy college town to legitimate city). For me, this sounds very plausible to why universities, ones not traditionally compared to an Ivy League school, are driven to increase their sports profiles. 

41 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I forgot the name of the person I was listening to on radio this morning, but she was explaining how sports (again mainly football) money/exposure has driven enrollment at Bama resulting in increased academic prestige, and a boon for Tuscaloosa in general (going from sleepy college town to legitimate city). For me, this sounds very plausible to why universities, ones not traditionally compared to an Ivy League school, are driven to increase their sports profiles. 

That's absolutely true. Football is the gateway to your University.

That's why you can't take a deal on a subscription based service like Apple even if it were the same money you'd get from a national broadcast network.

On 8/5/2023 at 9:12 PM, Toe said:

I've got a Welcome Home 7 t-shirt, that's a collector's item now, right?

I was wearing my "Nebraska Forecast, Expect Frost: Sunny Days Ahead" shirt yesterday, and my wife asked me why the hell I was wearing it. I didn't have a great answer, other than "It fits, and I'm not leaving the house."

• Haha 3
  • TBH 2
13 hours ago, Sker fer life said:

No he didn't work hard enough here, in fact I think he checked out after year one.  Am I mad about it ? Yes I am mad about it,   but the money part is the least of it.  Your correct in saying that he earned the contract that the college market pays,  it is what it is,  its all the other crap he was doing or not doing while he was here.  If I'm getting paid millions of dollars to run a football program I'm going to bust my hump to get that done.  Show up for practice sober and on time,  call back recruits, maybe try and look interested while on the sideline during games,  you know , coach stuff.  Didn't look to me like frost respected the job for most of his time here,  that's what irritates me.

We’re a few weeks out from a new era, and relitigating the past is generally useless. But for what it’s worth… One of my favorite dad-isms is “A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.” You look at Scott’s coaching career and it’s kind of a lot of… smooth sailing. Did he really have to sweat it out as a WR coach or OC at Oregon to develop players? Did he really have to pay attention to the details and instill discipline at UCF so he could win games by doing the small things correctly? He never really had to cut his teeth on his various coaching stops. He never really had to hone his craft. He was almost always surrounded by a lot of talent. Taking a step back, it’s a lot easier to understand why it didn’t work out. Parts of it are still inexplicable, but as a whole it’s kinda obvious. As a head coach he was wildly unrefined. His previous coaching gigs did not prepare him for the complete rebuild that Neb needed when he was hired. I believe that he thought he was working hard, because compared to his Oregon and UCF days… he probably was. 

There’s two moments from his tenure that stick out to me. The presser after the 2020 Rutgers game where he looked like a wholly defeated man. Just completely somber. After a victory no less. You can see the job absolutely wore on him. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8ab82b13859997256e1384f7254d4d6f.jpeg

And then the sideline after the Martinez fumble against Michigan in 2021. To me that’s not the look of a man who didn’t care or was checked out. It’s the look of a man who does not know how to fix what he was hired to fix. 
image.thumb.jpeg.6897c16a5c49ec50b4795116fb46ed54.jpeg
image.jpeg.75aad283cc31f72e428eda86b1e38cdc.jpeg

• Plus1 5
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, Fru said:

And then the sideline after the Martinez fumble against Michigan in 2021. To me that’s not the look of a man who didn’t care or was checked out. It’s the look of a man who does not know how to fix what he was hired to fix. 

Also in that game: their tight end delays ate our defense alive in the fourth quarter and was probably actually the main reason we lost. In addition to not kicking the field goal in the first half and going for it on the goal line.

I wish he would have been dialed in on what was happening on defense & special teams instead of seemingly only caring about the offensive side of the ball.

13 hours ago, Redux said:

Cal, Stanford Oregon State and Wazzu about to be in the ACC, what strange times.

Ain't no way Oregon State and Washington State end up in the ACC - they're most likely looking at a one-way ticket to the Mountain West Conference. Cal and Stanford could maybe still work out a Big 12 deal.

• TBH 3