OWH Barfknecht: Nebraska closing in on naming next athletic director

The Duke

2 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

This may have been asked earlier in the thread (thought I saw something along the same lines though I'm not sure how thoroughly it was answered), but other than his proximity to Scott Frost, is there anything else that people like about White as an AD?  

If he's hired it's imminent that Frost is our next head coach. So the next best thing is you get an AD that has his support. It can make for a smooth transition.

11 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

This may have been asked earlier in the thread (thought I saw something along the same lines though I'm not sure how thoroughly it was answered), but other than his proximity to Scott Frost, is there anything else that people like about White as an AD?  

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-ucf-athletics-director-danny-white-20151117-story.html

This kind of gets into his tenure at Buffalo and his family's involvement in big time colllege athletics.

He also hired Lance Liepold to coach Buffalo.  I remember him coaching at UNO when I was in high school.

Edited by gobiggergoredder
9 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

Never mind.

I post dumb things.

Edited by ZRod
35 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

American Airlines has a number of flights from DFW to OMA on a daily basis. 

Aren't there flights from LNK to DFW and back?   It has been a LONG time since I worked the parking lot toll booth in Lincoln but we did have the schedule of flights.  I'm fairly certain DFW was one of places aircraft flew in from, at least back then (late 70s).

Egads, that was cold during the winter and the wind blowing.  No insulation and a teeny tiny space heater in those toll booths.

Edited by GamingGlen

1 hour ago, Atbone95 said:

Larry the f'ing Cable Guy tweeted "fire the AD" and he was gone within 48 hours. 

Hahahaha. 

We had a regent Facebook post about firing the AD! LOL 

I don't think Nebraska is looking to Larry the Cable Guy when it comes to hiring and firing people. I've been tweeting that we should fire Mike Riley, but when we actually fire him it doesn't mean the Hank Bounds is basing his decision on my feelings. 

1 hour ago, grandpasknee said:

Just had a puke in the gut feeling when I thought..."probably someone that is not even on anyone's list that we've seen or heard about"...kind of like HCMR!!!

Think I'd be happy in this order of those listed:   Mullen, White, then Long.  Or Del Monte with a big surprise!!!

I feel the same way after I thought we were getting Tressel a few years ago and ended up with Riley. I really hope it's not Jeff Long

• Plus1 1

Some people here are so full of it and just so desperate to play the "you heard it here first guy".  

Funny how Barfknecht and others in the real media have reported some of their hearsay and then some people here on HB jump on it and repeat the same news, but adding "my buddy who knows some media guy" or "bank on it, a source with close ties told me...."

Your *guess* is as good as mine.  

3 hours ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

How well did Mullens and Scott get along?  If they do get him, then we'd be pretty sure we could get Scott if that is the route we go.

Mullens would be fantastic. Say what you will about all the Oregon uniforms, they understand branding better than any school in America. But why would he leave? With the Nike support, it's one of the best jobs in the country. 

3 hours ago, The Duke said:

Nebraska AD search is either imminent or already made. Interviews were last week.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/barfknecht-nebraska-closing-in-on-naming-next-athletic-director/article_0464246a-b14b-11e7-ae2e-f3dc8f3cf6e2.html

The Mike Riley era is probably coming to a close.

Names in the running for Nebraska's next AD
  • Jeff Long - Arkansas AD
  • Rob Mullens - Oregon AD
  • Jamie Pollard - Iowa St. AD
  • Kirby Hocutt - Texas Tech AD
  • Mitch Barnhart - Kentucky AD
  • Danny White - Central Florida AD
  • Chris Del Conte - TCU AD

Mitch Barnhart is a no-no.  He's an ex-Oregon Stater.  He and Riley are buds.  

6 hours ago, gorp512 said:

Mullens would be fantastic. Say what you will about all the Oregon uniforms, they understand branding better than any school in America. But why would he leave? With the Nike support, it's one of the best jobs in the country. 

Mullens might be looking to get away from the shadow of Knight and Pat Kilkenney (other huge booster that everyone forgets to mention and is arguably more meddlesome than Knight).  I'm sure he gets told on a daily basis that if weren't for the above two that Oregon athletics would be no where.  That would eat at a person after a while.  You have to think he'd get a pretty wide berth when it comes to making decisions.  I know NU athletics is a bit of a mess particularly with the flagship program.  That being said, this is a great time to step in if you're the new AD.  You always want to be the guy after the guy who replaces the man (Eichorst replacing TO).  Eichorst certainly screwed some things up, he did a lot of pretty good things as well.  The next AD will heap the benefits provided he/she (I see you out there Hayseed with your Karen Jennings TShirts) isn't completely tone deaf.  Lastly, money isn't the end all, be all but Mullens would command a pretty nice raise.  I believe he's making around $750k @ Oregon.  Nebraska would probably make an offer in the $1.1-$1.3 range.  

As for the Danny White talk.  He's an intriguing candidate no doubt and I'm sure one day he'll make a great P5 AD.  That being said I'd rather take the guy who has already spent 15+ years at P5 jobs.  Plus, Mullens is in his late 40s so age isn't really a factor.