Tanner Lee's Progression

BIG ERN

50 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm glad Lee has been playing better.  Credit to him for rebounding after a rough start.

But those improved numbers have generated a TOTAL of 5 offensive TDs in the last three games.

So we've "improved" to a bend-em but don't break-em offense.

I think a lot of this is on Langs. I yell at my TV every time we get in the red zone. The play calls make no sense. It also doesn't help when you have a pocket QB with no run game once you get in the red zone; a lot easier to defend. Makes the QB have to fit the rock in some tight holes...:koolaid2:

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Agree, Lee is looked pretty good these last 4 games.  Dude is a tough SOB too.  He's the front runner for the Zac Taylor toughness trophy for sure (this should totally be a thing).

I don't know if I can go best WR core simply because Nebraska lacks a deep threat.  I do think it's top 3.  While top 3 is good...not too many other teams really throw the ball too much so it feels like a hollow victory a bit.

The Lee we saw in the fourth quarter vs. Purdue is what I was expecting for the whole season. He looks so much better in practice. I hope it finally clicked for him.

As far as our receivers, there are far too many drops for me to consider them best in the conference.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Edison's Enemy said:

The Lee we saw in the fourth quarter vs. Purdue is what I was expecting for the whole season. He looks so much better in practice. I hope it finally clicked for him.

As far as our receivers, there are far too many drops for me to consider them best in the conference.

Agreed 100% there.  The drops have been problematic at times.

Lee's been impressive of late especially considering he's getting such little help. OL stinks, he's under frequent pressure. Non-existent running game at times. WR/TE/RBs drop 4-5 balls a week.

After being skittish early in the year under pressure, he steps up into the pocket or steps away much better now and delivers. His improvement has been one of the few bright spots.

Obviously he is getting more comfortable and checking down to his other options.  He is doing much better.  Its not hard to improve against Purdue.  This team went thru a meat grinder for two weeks in playing the conference's upper tier.  Now, we get NW, a mid level team.  Lets see if he progresses against an even better team not named Wisky or Ohio ST?

He's obviously getting more comfortable in the offense, but personally, I'm one who didn't think his play earlier in the season was as bad as it was made out to be. His poor numbers/performance were much more attributed to unlucky tips, a pourous O-Line and receivers who A) can't get separation and B) have been dropping a lot of balls, more than to him playing poorly, imo.

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'm glad Lee has been playing better.  Credit to him for rebounding after a rough start.

But those improved numbers have generated a TOTAL of 5 offensive TDs in the last three games.

So we've "improved" to a bend-em but don't break-em offense.

I think this goes back to the lack of a serious running game and play calling in the red zone.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

That has way more to do with the team around him and the play calling than him.

I haven't done a detailed look of Lee's effectiveness in the red zone.  I think his number do take a big dip, but he does need help from his receivers in the red zone.  DPE dropped a sure TD pass on a quick read and pass by Lee against Purdue.