Returning talent level

So one thing that TO said in his interview was that the talent level here is better then most people think. 

I know some on here particularly @Mavric and @teachercd have a pretty good handle on stuff like this. 

I would be be interested in ya’ll’s assessment of that statement. 

Is the perceived lack of talent a results of poor schemes, preparation and putting the right guys in the right places under the previous regime? 

Do you all think we could could reasonably expect to see these current kids playing at a higher level just from a change in philosophy. 

Anyone who who feels like they have a good grasp of this sort of thing feel free to reply. I just addressed the two guys above specifically because I respect their opinion on these matters 

Edited by olddominionhusker
  • Plus1 1

Offensively my take by position:

Qb - addressed in other threads; not sure Lee is a fit. I think POB and Gebbia are a better fit and Frost can design around them. I think there is talent at the position. 

rb- tre Bryant is a stud but the rest are average. Probably below average for the bigten.

wr - I think we have elite talent but no depth.

O-line - complete lack of development. Hard to say if lack of talent or lack of desire/drive.

te - talent is there but unknown.

dl- talent is present but think most were played out of position 

lb - talent is lacking; correcting angles and tackling form is a must

olb/pash rushers - talent is lacking as far as pass rush. Lack elite burst and athletes. I think stille is a stud but not sure he fits best as our primary pass rusher off the edge

cb - based on recruiting stats talent is there but we play very tentative. Need to better develop ball hawking mentality 

s - talent is adequate but lacking in size. Jo jo should help tremendously. 

Just my brief takes.

Based purely on the stars w have the talent to win the West.  Based on Frost's history, we now have the coach to maximize the talent on hand.  

Our weakest area IMHO is the OL.....Lack of development was evident.

It also appears that the old staff would often only play an individual when the starter (often not as good) was injured.... 

14 minutes ago, lo country said:

Based purely on the stars w have the talent to win the West.  Based on Frost's history, we now have the coach to maximize the talent on hand.  

Our weakest area IMHO is the OL.....Lack of development was evident.

It also appears that the old staff would often only play an individual when the starter (often not as good) was injured.... 

The lines both O and D and the LB are particularly where I am wondering about the talent. Is our Oline horrible because they weren’t coached correctly or is it simply a LOFT problem. Are the LB really as slow as the appear or is it scheme, poor angles etc?  

As as far as poor tackiling technique that’s just something I’m learning to accept in football these days because it continues all the way up through the NFL ranks 

The recruiting rankings indicate that we have plenty of talent on the roster.  For being a staff that was touted as “doing more with less”, Riley and crew did not seem to maximize any of the talent aside from the receivers.  

I think Frost will maximize the talent that is on the roster because that’s what he did at UCF.  To go from 0-12 to 6-7 to 12-0, shows that he definitely knows how to get the most out of each player.

There doesn’t seem to be much doubt from people on this board that Frost will kickstart the offense.

My concern is defense.  Granted, the only UCF games I watched were the USF game and yesterdays.  I couldn’t quite grasp what their defensive strategy was.

They were aggressive , but over ran plays consistently .

• Plus1 3

I haved studied our recruiting from a distance for a while.  Here is what I usually access first:  What other teams were recruiting these players besides us.  Were they Power 5 recruits basically.  That tells me alot about what caliber of player he might be.  Now, thats not to say that certain players are not diamonds in the rough, but are they?

When Pelini was here we were getting recruits that Western Kentucky, Louisiana-Monroe, and other Sunbelt teams were recruiting.

Riley was getting some decent guys, but not alot were real big recruits by other P5 teams.

I think we have some good WR, Rb, and maybe some decent Db talent who was not coached up.  I think our biggest weakness is that of either line play and QB.

I feel our overall talent level is behind much of the B1G.  The lack of NFL drafts doesn't lie...  We do have some good players but are any off them truly great?  Maybe one or two get drafted with different coaching but I feel we need a big recruiting boost to get back on a nationally competitive level.  

Edited by Hilltop
  • Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I feel our overall talent level is behind much of the B1G.  The lack of NFL drafts doesn't lie...  We do have some good players but are any off them truly great?  Maybe one or two get drafted with different coaching but I feel we need a big recruiting boost to get back on a nationally competitive level.  

They haven't been developed properly.

• Plus1 2