The time when Mike Tirico called the Colorado Student Section "idiots" (2005 Nebraska @ Colorado)

All in all, it's an enjoyable experience, but one some of our younger fans may have forgotten about. 

Long story short, Colorado was playing for the Big XII North title, and they choked, hardcore, to a Callahan-led squad at home. The Student Section wasn't having any of it, and throughout the game, they were throwing objects (e.g. plastic footballs, yellow pom-poms, AA batteries, pennies, water bottles filled with urine) on the field on occasion...but when Colorado found themselves down 27-3 with 10:00 to go in the 4th, things escalated quickly, and after warnings by the officials, the entire Student Section for Colorado was kicked out of the game. 

That's the point where Mike Tirico said on national television what Nebraska fans have known for ages:

Yup, you heard him right, at 2:10:22 in the recording, Mike Tirico said "the people (Colorado Student Section fans) are idiots". Truer words have yet to be spoken in the realm of College Football since then. He even went further and advocated that the students deserve jail time and a criminal record...and in honesty, he's right. 

And while this won't pay for lost rental car deductibles, new tires that required purchase, or children that were called expletives to and from the stadium in Boulder, this was pretty much vindication for all of the s*** that Nebraska fans have endured at Boulder over the decades.

Just a trip down memory lane in preparation for this week's tilt with Colorado.

Enjoy. :)

• Plus1 8
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, Lyons in the Sea of Red. said:

I'd like to attend the game in Boulder next year, but am still trying to determine how much I need to budget for new tires and paint for after the game. 

By your name I take it you live in Colorado? If so you are 20 min from me. Just drive a car with Colorado plates and you will be good.

I honestly think it has been long enough no one will care anymore.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, runningblind said:

By your name I take it you live in Colorado? If so you are 20 min from me. Just drive a car with Colorado plates and you will be good.

I went to the last NU-CU game in Boulder, and I had no issues at all, although I also have CO license plates.

15 minutes ago, runningblind said:

You have way to much confidence in that scum that is Colorado fans.

27 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Nah, I'm in DFW. I've sadly parted ways with Neb plates. 

I originally thought that would be the case too, but with some of the animosity I have seen from CU fans on Twitter this week it wouldn't surprise me. 

It's almost like they take pride in it and feel they have to uphold the reputation. It doesn't help when their ex-coaches are still preaching the only thing that matters is beating Nebraska. 

Buff fans are bad. I had a few push me and my friend and take our 12 pack of beer- and this was in Lincoln. I don’t remember which game, but it was early 90’s

but we had fans that threw oranges during a game in the 80’s with Oklahoma(I think) and seriously injured a state trooper. All students-and all fans-have the potential to be stupid 

• Plus1 1

I was at that game sitting in the section behind the students that were kicked out. It wasn't nearly as dramatic as it's being made to seem. The students were mostly drunk and threw some things out onto the field and the whole section was ejected from the game. Most of the students weren't misbehaving and quite a few of them just moved to other parts of the stadium. But nobody that I saw deserved jail time or any such thing.

I went once, in 2009, which turned out to be the last time (until next year). It was actually very subdued. Granted, I drove my own car which had a Colorado plate, and I wore a black hoodie which I kept on until I got inside (I was wearing a white Husker away jersey over a red long-sleeved shirt underneath). I sat in an area that was very much mixed with fans from both sides and for the most part it was pretty standard and uneventful.... but most of the CU fans were older adults and families. We weren't close to the students.

I like to think maybe the edge has worn off a bit.... ironically maybe our fall from national power status makes us less fun to beat. I don't know. I like to think it will never be as nasty as it was, and I hope it isn't because I think people were beginning to go too far.

One thing I'll say about living here.... I see more Husker license plate frames than CU ones. I also encounter enough CSU and UNC and transplants to feel like Denver is actually more neutral territory than anything else. I've actually gotten more grief for being a Packer fan. They won't let you forget about Super Bowl XXXII.

2019 will be very interesting.

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I was at that game sitting in the section behind the students that were kicked out. It wasn't nearly as dramatic as it's being made to seem. The students were mostly drunk and threw some things out onto the field and the whole section was ejected from the game. Most of the students weren't misbehaving and quite a few of them just moved to other parts of the stadium. But nobody that I saw deserved jail time or any such thing.

Throwing full water bottles at people from that high up isn't dramatic?  That can cause serious damage to whoever it hits.  They absolutely deserve jail time.    

41 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Throwing full water bottles at people from that high up isn't dramatic?  That can cause serious damage to whoever it hits.  They absolutely deserve jail time.    

Jail time? They're plastic water bottles. I'm not saying they should be throwing stuff or that a plastic water bottle wouldn't hurt, but jail time? Really?