Nebraska will beat Michigan

BoNeyard

We need a QB that can hit passes more than 20 yards downfield to keep the Michigan D form crowding the line. We also need a very slippery QB because the Michigan D will beat our OL many times. If Martinez is healthy maybe he can achieve these goals. I also think the Michigan D will force more turnovers than the buffs or Troy. They are faster and more physical than either of those teams.

12 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

I am assuming Martinez is a go since he was dressed and warming up on Saturday? I haven't heard he is out vs Michigan and would imagine he is closer to playing to not playing. Unless anyone has heard different I think he plays vs Michigan.

I don't think we hear if Martinez is playing until Saturday morning. Might as well keep Michigan in the dark on who the starter is. Make Michigan prepare for both scenarios. Although preparing for Bunch isn't exactly a tall task.

2 hours ago, secretasianman said:

I hope you’re right, even though the universe is saying different.

Football comes down to the battle up front and our o-line hasn’t given me much confidence that they are going to be able to handle a big, aggressive D-line.  

If Martinez’s knee isn’t 100% and his escapability is affected but could play, given our OL, who do you sacrifice, errh play- Bunch or Martinez?

Two weeks ago we were celebrating an offensive line that produced 325 yards rushing and a 6+ average for pretty much any Husker who carried the ball.

Mobile Martinez was sacked just as many times as less mobile Bunch. 

The Michigan defense is no more fearsome than a couple Michigan State defenses the Huskers handled with perhaps lesser offensive lines.

Nothing is in stone on this one. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, billdozer15 said:

Technically it could happen. Highly unlikely, but it could happen. I'll say with Frost as the head coach the odds are much better than if Michelle O'Reilly were still coaching.

Michigan State in 2015 was likely a better team than Michigan. 

It's not probable. But it's not highly unlikely either.

I expect Martinez to play in this game.  I'm of the belief that he could have gone this week if he were the absolute only option.  But, the staff wanted to give him one more week of rest.  If he would inflame the knee again against Troy, he definitely would be out for Michigan.  If they rest him against Troy, they know he's available for Michigan.  It also gave the staff the chance to see what Bunch could do before conference play so if the do need him in a game, they have some experience with him.

I also don't expect this to be announced till Saturday when he runs on the field....but, I expect to hear talk of him practicing at full speed this week.

29 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's close...I'd probably 

37 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Two weeks ago we were celebrating an offensive line that produced 325 yards rushing and a 6+ average for pretty much any Husker who carried the ball.

Mobile Martinez was sacked just as many times as less mobile Bunch. 

The Michigan defense is no more fearsome than a couple Michigan State defenses the Huskers handled with perhaps lesser offensive lines.

Nothing is in stone on this one. 

That '15 MSU defense was pretty darn good with Calhoun/McDowell/Heath on the D-Line although I'm not sure any of those guys have quite the top end wrecking power of Gary.  Winovich is similar to Calhoun.  Where UM I think has the edge is at LB and the secondary.  That MSU team didn't have anything that resembles Devin Bush.

I watched quite a bit of the SMU/UM game and I'm holding out some hope as SMU was able to move the ball quite a bit on UM.  It's going to take a herculean effort from the O-Line to have a shot.  On Offense, I still don't think Patterson is anything special.  I'll be curious to see what the total is.  A few bucks on the under might be the play.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I expect Martinez to play in this game.  I'm of the belief that he could have gone this week if he were the absolute only option.  But, the staff wanted to give him one more week of rest.  If he would inflame the knee again against Troy, he definitely would be out for Michigan.  If they rest him against Troy, they know he's available for Michigan.  It also gave the staff the chance to see what Bunch could do before conference play so if the do need him in a game, they have some experience with him.

I also don't expect this to be announced till Saturday when he runs on the field....but, I expect to hear talk of him practicing at full speed this week.

This is pretty much my thought as well.  I think he probably *could* have gone but since he didn't practice all week they didn't think it was right to throw him out there.  Which probably isn't a bad plan.  

Give him a week to rest and heal so that (hopefully) it doesn't become a nagging issue.