Memorial Stadium Renovation

8 hours ago, Red Five said:

I'd argue a mistake was made in adding the 600 level on East Stadium 10 years ago (suites and club level were fine).  Ever since then we have been trying to reduce capacity.

From 1972 to 2005 announced attendance was around 76k.  Getting back to that range sounds fine to me.

Maybe I am not remembering correctly, but I thought when we were going to join the Big Ten Conference, the two major issues (road blocks) were AAU and having to have bigger seating capacity at Nebraska.  Which seemed odd to me.  And we complied by adding and building onto what we had. Does that sound right?  And then neither are a thing anymore.  I could be wrong, so I apologize. But I swear it that was a thing early on in the process.

21 minutes ago, admo said:

Maybe I am not remembering correctly, but I thought when we were going to join the Big Ten Conference, the two major issues (road blocks) were AAU and having to have bigger seating capacity at Nebraska.  Which seemed odd to me.  And we complied by adding and building onto what we had. Does that sound right?  And then neither are a thing anymore.  I could be wrong, so I apologize. But I swear it that was a thing early on in the process.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but I don’t know why seating capacity at Memorial Stadium would be an issue for Nebraska to join the Big Ten. Northwestern’s stadium is tiny, and it’s not like other schools (Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue, etc.) have capacity near NU. I think Osborne felt there may be additional demand for attending games due to joining the Big Ten, but once the success of the team is ended and fans’ appetite to spend all day going to a football game changed, it was obvious that Memorial Stadium was over-expanded.  The one thing that the new addition on the east stadium did was create more seats on the sidelines vs. the end zones. I wouldn’t like being up that high, but for too long, Memorial Stadium had too high of a percentage of overall seats in the end zones. 

• TBH 2
4 hours ago, admo said:

We were in the AAU when we got admitted.  We got kicked out shortly after that.

I don't recall capacity being even in the discussion.

• TBH 1

12 hours ago, ECisGod said:

It's almost always more expensive to renovate than to build new when dealing with 100 year old buildings, especially ones that have had multiple renovations/additions. 

Yeah, especially since a lot of these old facilities like South Stadium are poured concrete structures, which are relatively cheap to build and maintain, but a huge pain in the a$$ to modify.

5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but I don’t know why seating capacity at Memorial Stadium would be an issue for Nebraska to join the Big Ten. Northwestern’s stadium is tiny, and it’s not like other schools (Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue, etc.) have capacity near NU. I think Osborne felt there may be additional demand for attending games due to joining the Big Ten, but once the success of the team is ended and fans’ appetite to spend all day going to a football game changed, it was obvious that Memorial Stadium was over-expanded.  The one thing that the new addition on the east stadium did was create more seats on the sidelines vs. the end zones. I wouldn’t like being up that high, but for too long, Memorial Stadium had too high of a percentage of overall seats in the end zones. 

I actually like sitting up there….in nice weather. 

21 hours ago, ECisGod said:

Basketball basically sells out every game and they haven't consistently been good for 30 years.  The actual attendance doesn't reflect the arena being sold out, but their 2022/23 average attendance was almost 15300 (10th in the country) with a capacity of 15500.

are you serious? i was at a nebraska minnesota basketball game a couple years ago that was 1/3 full

8 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I’m not a fan of heights, so those seats wouldn’t be my favorite. I sat up on a super upper deck at Texas, and while I could clearly see the game, it was too high and far from the action for my liking

You need to drag oxygen tank and high powered binocular ;).  East upper deck seats was way too high.  I ventured OU upper deck stadium, similar to Memorial ..... literally ants and I can't read player's numbers !!

600x450.jpg

Best solution, cover tarp in east upper deck seats

san-diego-chargers-v-oakland-raiders.jpg

11 minutes ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

You need to drag oxygen tank and high powered binocular ;).  East upper deck seats was way too high.  I ventured OU upper deck stadium, similar to Memorial ..... literally ants and I can't read player's numbers !!

600x450.jpg

Best solution, cover tarp in east upper deck seats

san-diego-chargers-v-oakland-raiders.jpg

Why would you do that if there are people willing to buy a ticket and sit there?

• TBH 1