***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2023***

17 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

What is it about Sherman and Butler specifically that you are so disappointed? Also, are you disappointed in them? Where is your disappointment aimed at?

What are Huskerboard’s thoughts on the disappointment?  Why do you think White didn’t award them a black shirt?  Are you hungry?  Have you lost weight? Who does everyone use for car insurance?

• Haha 5
  • Oh Yeah! 1

8 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I understand that he earned it just like all the other guys did too but I still stand by my original statement that it is disappointing to me that Sherman and Butler didn't do enough to earn one yet.  Yes I know they will play but I believe that both of those guys will have to be good in order to generate some type of pass rush for the team.  When I say good I mean blackshirt material and not a situational player.  That's my personal feeling on it if your not disappointed for those 2 or any other guys that didn't get one cool beans.

Maybe...just maybe....they are good at their positions....but there's a couple guys just a little bit better.  That would be nice.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

And oh by the way.  The blackshirts are for the starting 11 for the next game.  So next week, it could be a different 11.

Again, the way it should be.  You can only have 11 players out there starting, so it doesn't matter "how football works" because the Blackshirts go to the starting 11 on defense.  I don't care if the nickel back should get one.  Against Minnesota the nickel back is not starting so he doesn't get one.  The 2nd string DL will play quite a few snaps, probably more than a nickel back.  Should they get one two?  At that point maybe we should just give one to the entire defense.  

• TBH 2

Safeties come up and make tackles, that would be so different then the last 8 years. I'm so ready for it.

Safety coverage is just backpedaling, moving left to right, and almost anyone can do that. I like these guys in the secondary that earned blackshirts.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am excited to see Singleton at safety.  He is so tall and rangy at that position.

Also curious to see the other starting safety who is a Minneapolis native, Omar Brown. Playing before family and friends is a big motivator and he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder for Minnesota overlooking him in recruitment. Now he's a Blackshirt for Rhule's Game One.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Nebraska is tied for first with Tennessee with 11 sacks.  They are number 8 in rush defense.  Unfortunately the are ranked mid 70's for total defense.  I also noticed the 3rd down percentage is also in the 70's.  Defense needs to get off the field on 3rd down.  Seems like MN and CO moved the ball down field until they reached the redzone and then the defense (for the most part) bucked up.  Shorter field and all that I get but they can't let every team extend drives.  Too many mistakes will happen.  Also if nobody noticed Gbayor had himself a pretty good game.  

• Plus1 4