2023 Fall Camp Notes - Running Backs

17 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

~120 YPG against poor competition over 5 games is better than Rahmir putting up 172 all purpose against Michigan?

Glad you edited your post because I was struggling to remember when Rahmir was ever close to 172 on the ground.

Clearly Grant's rushing performances we significantly better.

I will give Rahmir the benefit of the doubt since he seemed to be running a lot harder in the spring game than he ever has before.  Maybe his new coaches have lit a fire under his a$$.

34 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Glad you edited your post because I was struggling to remember when Rahmir was ever close to 172 on the ground.

Clearly Grant's rushing performances we significantly better.

I will give Rahmir the benefit of the doubt since he seemed to be running a lot harder in the spring game than he ever has before.  Maybe his new coaches have lit a fire under his a$$.

Grant stops too much.  It's not even a jump cut, it's a flat out stop and wait.  It hurt him against good teams.  He doesn't have explosiveness out of his stops.

One of those things that probably worked good in high school and against the donkey teams.  It severely hampers him when the D is fast.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

I love the Ervin & Rhamir 1-2 combo.  For many reasons.  

I remember last season when our QBs got hit because Grant couldn't help picking up a block with a basic 4 man rush on pass plays.  And now he's 24 years old.  

And it's better to gain 2 yards with physical running then to hesitate & juke around and lose a yard.  

So that's my beef with Grant.  Bad - real bad in pass pro, and trying to make a bigger play for a straight ahead running play.

Rhamir blocks.  He's shifty, has fairly good hands.  Hits the hole for a short gain.  Despite being under 200lbs.  Gabe Ervin can pound away, can block, and also has power and burst as well.  It's not that Grant isn't good running the ball, he has shown he can be.  But the other guys do more and passed him up on the depth. 

Maybe we'll see Grant sneak in a nice run later in the game after the other two backs do all the dirty work.  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

For what it’s worth…….

Calahan said on KFAB this week that the Grant fumble thing has been grossly exaggerated.  He only had one fumble last year.

Well he had fumbling issues in camp and that carried over to the first game at the most inopportune time.  So I don't know if I would say grossly

8 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

For what it’s worth…….

Calahan said on KFAB this week that the Grant fumble thing has been grossly exaggerated.  He only had one fumble last year.

He said Grant only had one fumble last year but for whatever reason has had a bunch of fumble issues this fall.  He fumbled a couple of times in two of the major scrimmages in fall camp.

• TBH 1
  • 2 weeks later...