Bob Wager resigns…

On 7/29/2023 at 9:29 PM, M.A. said:

I'd say Martin is positioned for success. He has solid credentials. 

Could it be the tide is changing ? 

After years and years of Husker bad luck happening, it is stimulating to hear something positive occurred when dealing with adversity. 

In this case, an analyst on staff who was a coach with previous TE experience..... slides into the job without missing a beat.  And the dude also has Texas ties too.  And he's younger and probably more ready than we all ever knew.

Pretty cool IMHO if this works out.  Which would signify something positive happening out of something negative.

• Plus1 1

48 minutes ago, admo said:

Could it be the tide is changing ? 

After years and years of Husker bad luck happening, it is stimulating to hear something positive occurred when dealing with adversity. 

In this case, an analyst on staff who was a coach with previous TE experience..... slides into the job without missing a beat.  And the dude also has Texas ties too.  And he's younger and probably more ready than we all ever knew.

Pretty cool IMHO if this works out.  Which would signify something positive happening out of something negative.

These guys are working hard and are dedicated. Coaches, players and all the various support staff. It will change! Helps to have competent people to plug in if necessary.

It sounded like at some point another TE coach other than Josh would replace Wager. Perhaps though he'll end up being permanent. 

50 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I don't get why he is a so called at-will employee?  He should be under an assistant coach contract bc he is coaching full-time and recruiting.  Yes he didn't ask to be put in this position but since he is well pay, the man for what he is worth.  Kinda feels like a slap in a face to me.

He was an analyst up until now. He will make $150k for the year. How much is he worth in your opinion? Then ask yourself why he wasn't an assistant somewhere else. After that think about how most of the assistant contracts are structured and the time frame they are usually for. Maybe, just maybe there was a reason to do it this way and all parties were well informed why it is being done this way.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I don't get why he is a so called at-will employee?  He should be under an assistant coach contract bc he is coaching full-time and recruiting.  Yes he didn't ask to be put in this position but since he is well pay, the man for what he is worth.  Kinda feels like a slap in a face to me.

Im guessing its some sort of remainder off of wagner's original contract amount to finish out the season with a caveat for restructure at the end of the season dependent on performance...  just a guess...

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

3 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

Im guessing its some sort of remainder off of wagner's original contract amount to finish out the season with a caveat for restructure at the end of the season dependent on performance...  just a guess...

That's what I was thinking too.  He missed "coaching" responsibilities for all of Spring and Summer, not to mention spending time on the road and phone recruiting.

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, The Dude said:

Okay but he was still hired for his connections and not his coach acumen. 

I am just not a fan of revisionist history. Based on what Rhule has said and shown so far, no way does Wagner get hired if he isn’t a good coach in Rhule’s eyes. Yes his recruiting connections are what gave him the opportunity, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t also a heck of a coach. I find it hilarious that after he gets canned for a really dumb mistake, people are spinning it that this is good because his replacement is a better coach without any evidence either way. Martin may very well be a good coach, and I really hope he is and that he is super successful at NU, but to automatically claim the change will result in better coaching without any true evidence is laughable. Before Wagner’s screw up, I don’t recall anyone claiming Martin should be the man over him. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

I am just not a fan of revisionist history. Based on what Rhule has said and shown so far, no way does Wagner get hired if he isn’t a good coach in Rhule’s eyes. Yes his recruiting connections are what gave him the opportunity, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t also a heck of a coach. I find it hilarious that after he gets canned for a really dumb mistake, people are spinning it that this is good because his replacement is a better coach without any evidence either way. Martin may very well be a good coach, and I really hope he is and that he is super successful at NU, but to automatically claim the change will result in better coaching without any true evidence is laughable. Before Wagner’s screw up, I don’t recall anyone claiming Martin should be the man over him. 

Who gives a s#!t - he's gone.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
On 8/9/2023 at 5:00 PM, caveman99 said:

You got all that from what I said?