2023 Fall Camp Notes - Special Teams

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Rhule said that Nebraska will never fair catch a kickoff as long as he is the coach here.

Maybe I am scarred from watching Nebraska try to return kicks for the last 5 years, but not exactly a fan of that idea.

He did say we'll let some bounce in the end zone, so we aren't coaching the returners to take it out from 8 yards deep or anything. I'm excited for it, it does always bother me a bit when it's a popup kick to the 11 and it's fair caught - but I also reserve the right to be pissed when we don't even make it to the 20. Not sure it's the best strategy, but trading a few yards of field position sometimes for the chance at a big swing in field position.

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Rhule said that Nebraska will never fair catch a kickoff as long as he is the coach here.

Maybe I am scarred from watching Nebraska try to return kicks for the last 5 years, but not exactly a fan of that idea.

Maybe I am too.  But I really think more teams should probably do it.

Unless you have a legit game-breaking returner - and maybe we do :koolaid2:- the fair catch seems to make a lot of sense.  I bet there are way more times that teams start inside the 25 than outside the 35 due to a short return or a penalty.

• Plus1 5
9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Maybe I am too.  But I really think more teams should probably do it.

Unless you have a legit game-breaking returner - and maybe we do :koolaid2:- the fair catch seems to make a lot of sense.  I bet there are way more times that teams start inside the 25 than outside the 35 due to a short return or a penalty.

Yes.

The new 25 yard line rule makes it the smart move many times.  I agree that we could return more than we do.  But, if it's a really high kick with a lot of hang time letting the defense get down the field, it's many times smarter to fair catch it and take it at the 25.

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Tom Osborne entrusted a true freshman kicker with his best team and defending national champions in 1995.

Different team, different culture -- this season's team is playing with a ton of pressure, regardless of what the coaching staff or media portray. Freshman goes 0-3 or 1-4 on FG's vs Minny. That being said, I believe he'll be very good by end of this season.

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, HuskerX said:

Different team, different culture -- this season's team is playing with a ton of pressure, regardless of what the coaching staff or media portray.

You think this team, on the heels of 6 straight losing seasons and with the understanding that we're in year one of a rebuild, has more pressure than the 1995 team that were reigning national champions and a field goal away from the last two national championships? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
  • TBH 2

This team has only the pressure they put on themselves basically.  Most fans believe it will be an uphill battle just to make 6-6.  The few ‘fans’ that will jump to bash the coaches and players after a disappointing opener will make some noise but a good share of Husker fans know full well that win or lose, the goal is to rebuild from the ground up this year and perhaps next.  

Nebraska is not Temple nor Baylor BUT the Big Ten of 2023 is nothing like the former teams’ conferences etc.  The schedule is much tougher (from beginning to end) and will continue to improve the next five to ten years. 

Frost left Rhule in a tough situation.   Five seasons of very few conference wins at all has left the team in a very low morale and confidence condition.  Rebuilding confidence ( to the point of believing they can and will win games) is the most difficult challenge Rhule faces.    He may feel we have a chance to win Thursday but the team has to actually do it.  That will be tougher than the most taxing physical practices.  

Most (nearly all) teams struggle with mistakes in the early season.  Improvement happens, over several games, sometimes all season. Minny has been winning steadily and played well for last several seasons. Nebraska has been very weak for 5+ years.  

Can Neb get it done?  Yes!  But it’s going to be very difficult out of the gate. 4-5 scrimmages and lots and drills, gassers, meetings and even Rhule pep talks will not turn things around magically.  

Recruiting helps.  Practice helps. Team unity helps. But, ultimately the players have to play, block and tackle, throw and catch, punt, kick and get to work in every aspect.  Nobody is afraid of Nebraska.  We have to earn respect and build and develop and work harder and smarter.  It can happen.  A magical year 1 could happen but don’t count of it.  Get better 1% a day adds up but it starts from a very low point.  Maybe we’re half way there?   Maybe not.  Our opponents are also getting better.