We may have to start winning

8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Rutgers would have been better of in a mid level conference.  

Rutgers looks like poor management, but it's hard to tell from the article.  The B1G loaning them 1/5 of their debt to build buildings?

Northwestern is heading this direction.  

Also think it's hilarious people want to add Stanford.  Their glory days are gone.

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Of course, Frost thought Adrian was the best QB prospect in the country too.  Lol. But these coaches are different.  Simms offers legit running and scrambling ability that we haven’t seen since Taylor M.  Imo.  Defenses will have to defend this all the time.

I really wish reporters would stop focusing on Sims running so much. They paint a false picture of both Sims as a player and Rhule's tendencies.

Expect to see upwards of 8-10 QB runs per game between scrambles and designed runs, with that number decreasing with better offensive line play. Designed QB runs are part of Rhule's offenses, but they are no where near the focus of the offense the way we often saw with Adrian and Taylor. When you combine Satterfield's offensive tendencies to Rhule's, do not be surprised if we see some runs from the QB position that are not from Jeff Sims.

12 hours ago, Mavric said:

Last year - in the midst of the worst stretch of football in Lincoln in 60+ years - we were the #16 team IN THE COUNTRY in average viewership.  I case anyone can't tell, it's all about TV money.  And we are ranked higher out of EVERYONE than the number of teams that will be in IN OUR CONFERENCE next year.

We were #4 in the B1G last year.  #4!!!!!!!  Even with the addition of Oregon and USC (both slightly ahead of us), we'll still be #6 in the conference.

We aren't getting kicked out.  And our record will only get better.

This is crazy.  Can it be the season already?

I love to see this. And with a return to winning and possibly completing for championship, this ranking likely improves. 

However, if there isnt a return to winning (and probably at a high level at some point), I can easily see where these numbers start slipping, and slipping rapidly, when those of us currently 40+ are the only ones who actually remember the glory years. At worst, that puts the program at Indiana/Northwestern level, and at best maybe where Minnesota is right now. We're not on this reality's doorstep, but without a return to winning, maybe 10-20 years from now?

I haven't lived in Nebraska for decades now, but even the alumni association in Phoenix has seen reduction in numbers. And for those of us that actually show for some of the association events, at 50, I'm one of the youths that makes up this group. And in general outings, I see fewer people wearing Husker gear out here and CA than I did a decade ago.

19 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

My concern is the next round of media rights and discussions may see non-competitive programs and teams being kicked out of conferences.

In Lincoln & southeast Nebraska in general, there is currently nothing on the horizon that suggests people won't keep filling seats at Memorial Stadium any time soon. And when the stadium is full, recruits keep coming in. We still have a much bigger financial pull than at least half of the B1G in terms of viewership & interest.

So no need to lose any sleep that NU will be kicked out of the conference, no worries there at all.

• TBH 1
32 minutes ago, 308_Husker said:

I don't know how many times I had to read this sentence. We have been in the abyss for so long.

Not sure if it was a typo but it should read Nebraska HAS HAD 1 winning season in the last 8 years.  We finished 9-4 in 2016.  Still crappy but no reason to make it worse than it has actually been.    

• TBH 1
3 hours ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I love to see this. And with a return to winning and possibly completing for championship, this ranking likely improves. 

However, if there isnt a return to winning (and probably at a high level at some point), I can easily see where these numbers start slipping, and slipping rapidly, when those of us currently 40+ are the only ones who actually remember the glory years. At worst, that puts the program at Indiana/Northwestern level, and at best maybe where Minnesota is right now. We're not on this reality's doorstep, but without a return to winning, maybe 10-20 years from now?

I haven't lived in Nebraska for decades now, but even the alumni association in Phoenix has seen reduction in numbers. And for those of us that actually show for some of the association events, at 50, I'm one of the youths that makes up this group. And in general outings, I see fewer people wearing Husker gear out here and CA than I did a decade ago.

Our Oklahoma Cornhusker club in Tulsa would have 250 - 300 for the big games years ago.  I remember the N.Dame 'red out' game - when the TV first showed the ND stadium, our whole group of approximately 300 jumped up and down and yelled.  Last year maybe 25 - 40 people attended the club events and to be honest - I wasn't one of them.  I couldn't stand the negativity any longer and found better things to do (or should I say, my wife found better things to do for me:) :bang )   I hope that this year we turn the corner and start building again. 

57 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I couldn't stand the negativity any longer and found better things to do (or should I say, my wife found better things to do for me:) :bang )   I hope that this year we turn the corner and start building again. 

That's one reason I haven't been around here in years. That's not about you guys, that's about me. My posts at least attempt to be informative rather than argumentative and if all I have to say is negative I kinda don't want to take the time to bother posting.

6 hours ago, brophog said:

I really wish reporters would stop focusing on Sims running so much. They paint a false picture of both Sims as a player and Rhule's tendencies.

Expect to see upwards of 8-10 QB runs per game between scrambles and designed runs, with that number decreasing with better offensive line play. Designed QB runs are part of Rhule's offenses, but they are no where near the focus of the offense the way we often saw with Adrian and Taylor. When you combine Satterfield's offensive tendencies to Rhule's, do not be surprised if we see some runs from the QB position that are not from Jeff Sims.

Sims own interviews he's a passing QB.  I don't think we are going to see triple option from the I with a FB every down.  We have one QB and some other guys battling it out to be the best of the not starting calibre.  Not thinking Rhule is going to run Sims into the ground like we have seen the previous years under Frost.  Can't afford for him to get injured.  

10 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Of course, Frost thought Adrian was the best QB prospect in the country too.  Lol.

I don't think this is actually even remotely true. Adrian just happened to be the best QB Frost could get, but that's completely different from believing that Scott dialed in only on Adrian and wouldn't have taken a different guy if he could have.

10 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Simms offers legit running and scrambling ability that we haven’t seen since Taylor M.  Imo.  Defenses will have to defend this all the time. That makes a big difference.

So we need more QB running to be better on offense? The problem was not enough/not good enough QB running?

And for the record, Adrian's 40 yard dash time was 4.55 at the NFL combine, and the most recent (and fastest) time I can find for Sims is 4.78. And even outside of that I find it very unlikely that Sims is a better ball carrier than Adrian. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I don't think this is actually even remotely true. Adrian just happened to be the best QB Frost could get, but that's completely different from believing that Scott dialed in only on Adrian and wouldn't have taken a different guy if he could have.

So we need more QB running to be better on offense? The problem was not enough/not good enough QB running?

And for the record, Adrian's 40 yard dash time was 4.55 at the NFL combine, and the most recent (and fastest) time I can find for Sims is 4.78. And even outside of that I find it very unlikely that Sims is a better ball carrier than Adrian. 

He's plenty fast on the field tho.  Not sure which game it was but he handed the ball off to his rb.  Saw that he could help and took off on a dead sprint and got ahead to block.  

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, brophog said:

I don’t know that reporters focus of Simms being a superb runner. His film shows it.  I don’t see his passing skills as much different than Casey T.  He had minimal running skills (at least he declined to use them).  Casey was a good passer, certainly worth retaining as compared with Purdy (thus far) and HH as well.  

Purdy and HH both run better than Casey.  That suggests a QB that can run is important or essential for 2023 in the coaches’ minds.  With three, it only seems sensible that our QBs won’t  be ducking for cover and racing for the sidelines too much.  I tend to see around 6-8 QB designed runs and perhaps that many more scrambles to avoid sacks/roll out run options.  

That is NOT excessive for someone Simms’ size. He’s a Lb size-wise.  It is not the numbers of carries - it’s the threat that is demonstrated a few times that keeps defenses honest or guessing.