Michigan State
Indiana
Northwestern 

Penn State
Maryland 
Rutgers
Notre Dame
Purdue

That’s my idea. The BIG is already becoming national so I would definitely grab Note Dame which has a national fan base. Then Stanford to solidify west coast and academically is very strong. Stanford while not most competitive in football does do well in other sports. Plus it shows a complete commitment to the west coast in a new BIG, whereas now it still feels disjointed and lopsided to the east. You could have Final 4 playoff in your own conference.

• Plus1 2

Not a bad idea at all. I like the idea of having a mini playoff within conference with winner and potentially second place getting invites to the College Football Playoffs. The possible good thing from these mega conferences is if they put more emphasis on conference games again. Your playoff starts week 1 in conference, lose more than 2 and you have zero shot at making the playoffs.

I would rather see the BIG 10 think about their next additions be southern schools. I loved the idea of Clemson and Florida State. Pickup a school in Florida and Texas. We need to look at it from a competitive standpoint and not just TV dollars. If we don’t and the SEC owns the southern recruiting the big 10 is not going to be able to keep up. North VS South. 

Heck the way it is shaping up is big 10 with be NFC and sec the AFC going to nfl format 

• Plus1 3

I think it would be great to get FSU and Clemson - we need to invade the southern recruiting ground.  Let arrogant N.D. eat their own oats. It would be nice to have a  Texas school but I think all are tied up in the Big 12 or SEC that would be worthy of consideration - unless A&M is so totally pissed about having Texas in the SEC - but I know that won't change.

I get the ND love.

Yet since conference realignment is really about television money (i.e. football), why the love for Stanford (and Cal)? IF ND said "we're in" IF you bring along Stanford, then fine. Two big Ifs there, and other than that I don't see the financial draw. This isn't about not-football/sports endowments. 

• Haha 1

Great idea @chamrocck! The regional pods make a lot more sense than adding one offs from Florida (FSU) and South Carolina (Clemson). Neither of which would be overly coveted by the Big Ten brass. I believe if the Big Ten were looking at taking ACC schools besides Notre Dame, they would go for a Virginia and North Carolina first. Those brands are more closely tied to what the conference presidents care about (research $$, academic prestige, etc.) more than past football success.

I don't know that Notre Dame will ever be interested in joining the Big Ten as they have had the opportunity for at least 10-15 years minimum. But as far as TV money driving realignment, neither Clemson nor FSU would move the needle significantly enough to justify adding them as members to the conference. I think it's important to remember that adding teams does not equate to proportionate increases in TV money distribution. The more bodies at the table, the more mouths to feed.

• Plus1 1
  • 6 months later...

I still like the PODS idea (here with Notre Dame and Florida State added) but it seems to be more popular with people talking about football than with those that actually make the decisions.

But since there are rumors floating around about Notre Dame again, this looks intriguing.  Although I'd flip Purdue and Illinois to maintain the Purdue/Indiana rivalry.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

I still like the PODS idea (here with Notre Dame and Florida State added) but it seems to be more popular with people talking about football than with those that actually make the decisions.

But since there are rumors floating around about Notre Dame again, this looks intriguing.  Although I'd flip Purdue and Illinois to maintain the Purdue/Indiana rivalry.

Purdue is closer to the lakes than Indiana and Illinois (universities).  

• TBH 1

I'd like to see B1G with 24 teams - add Kansas to Midwest, Miami to the East, Stanford & WSU to the West while moving N Dame to the Lakes,  8 conf  games  -- 5 from the team's division  and then 1 from each of the 3 other Divisions - rotating.  If there is to be 9 conference games then we create a protected rival from one of the other 3 divisions  - ND could always play Stanford for example, Nebraska could always play   PSU, Miami or FSU - 3 schools our fans would have an interest in.  One could argue that the Midwest division will once again (like Big 10 west, Big 12 North) be the weaker division.  Playing one of those 3 teams would up our SOS for the playoff. 

Of course the fly in the soup on the above is that Stanford is scheduled to move to the ACC next year. It seems that Miami and FSU are interested in moving out of the ACC.  Maybe that will push ND and Stanford to move also???  crazy times