Poll - How Many Wins - 2023 Season

2023 Win Total  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The same reason people claimed that we didn't have any chance to beat Iowa last year because they had "owned" us the previous several.

Iowa had won 7 in a row before last year, and has now won 8 of 10. That's owning us. Oh, but they were close games you say. Who cares? We didn't get it done 7 years in a row.  That's 2,555 days without beating Iowa, but we were close right?  YAY. Minny has won 4 in a row,  and 7 of 10. Same story.  Those are losses a high percentage of the time until we prove otherwise.  It's not an automatic loss, before you start mashing your keyboard over there with semantical arguments, but it's highly likely on the road, game 1 with a new coach. I'd call it the second highest probability loss behind Michigan for 2023.

Pretty much if you actually look at this game objectively at all, with the time of year and circumstances, you should expect this to be a loss a large majority of the time. 

• TBH 3

I have been fairly hopeful that Rhule can turn and churn the roster and find some uptick in the win/loss column.  I think he’s instilling a new brand of fundamentals football.  I have been hoping that most players have bought in enough to endure the pain and grind away and start climbing our way back to the top tier.  

However, today I am struggling with this thing.  What I’m most afraid of is that the new found confidence and positivity outlook is gonna be short lived.  In fact it could get derailed out of the starting gate.   I’m also looking at this regime as being the last of its kind.  If Rhule fails, it is likely becoming a very very long term (or never) deal .   It’s not fair but it is what it is.  I think Trev took a long careful look and was very careful in his choosing.  There is nothing guaranteed. Get the best available,  and do anything he could to help.  

In the end, this season is probably 3-9 to 9–5.  I think we should be in the middle someplace on paper but this season is more about faith, confidence, perseverance and dedication.  How long will the guys play for Rhule.  What if there is something along the way that changes?  

Can he keep them following when losses happen?  Can they survive a rough start and a brutal beat down by MICH?   What if they stay hot and keep it moving?   If so, they can turn 2-10 into 10-2.  Ultimately, I don’t see 6-6.  It’ll be better or worse - in the middle is the hardest row to hoe. .  I will go 8-4 cause I can bring myself to predict 4-8 (it just doesn’t seem right to pick against my beloved Huskers). 

6 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I have been fairly hopeful that Rhule can turn and churn the roster and find some uptick in the win/loss column.  I think he’s instilling a new brand of fundamentals football.  I have been hoping that most players have bought in enough to endure the pain and grind away and start climbing our way back to the top tier.  

However, today I am struggling with this thing.  What I’m most afraid of is that the new found confidence and positivity outlook is gonna be short lived.  In fact it could get derailed out of the starting gate.   I’m also looking at this regime as being the last of its kind.  If Rhule fails, it is likely becoming a very very long term (or never) deal .   It’s not fair but it is what it is.  I think Trev took a long careful look and was very careful in his choosing.  There is nothing guaranteed. Get the best available,  and do anything he could to help.  

In the end, this season is probably 3-9 to 9–5.  I think we should be in the middle someplace on paper but this season is more about faith, confidence, perseverance and dedication.  How long will the guys play for Rhule.  What if there is something along the way that changes?  

Can he keep them following when losses happen?  Can they survive a rough start and a brutal beat down by MICH?   What if they stay hot and keep it moving?   If so, they can turn 2-10 into 10-2.  Ultimately, I don’t see 6-6.  It’ll be better or worse - in the middle is the hardest row to hoe. .  I will go 8-4 cause I can bring myself to predict 4-8 (it just doesn’t seem right to pick against my beloved Huskers). 

I agree with everything you said here. The one thing that gives me hope is the fact that Trev ripped the bandaid off and started over last year. There was so much drama swirling around this program. The culture was toxic, leadership non-existent and players who were one foot in, and one foot out. With that being said, this team did show some resemblance of being competitive at times,  with all the crap going on. 

With that being said, I am like you. I love em and I can't pick against them, but I have no clue what to expect. It could be a complete turnaround and we get 7-8 wins, or more of the same. But I do think if we can clean up the little things, it could be a good season. This team has not had any discipline on the field and that has cost them a lot of games. We will have to wait and see I guess. Seeing all the false starts over the past few years made me day drink. 

GBR!!!

8 hours ago, runningblind said:

Iowa had won 7 in a row before last year, and has now won 8 of 10. That's owning us. Oh, but they were close games you say. Who cares? We didn't get it done 7 years in a row.  That's 2,555 days without beating Iowa, but we were close right?  YAY. Minny has won 4 in a row,  and 7 of 10. Same story.  Those are losses a high percentage of the time until we prove otherwise.  It's not an automatic loss, before you start mashing your keyboard over there with semantical arguments, but it's highly likely on the road, game 1 with a new coach. I'd call it the second highest probability loss behind Michigan for 2023.

I mean ... you're the one who brought up Minnesota.  I guess you needed a straw man to argue against.

And recency bias is definitely a thing.

8 hours ago, runningblind said:

Pretty much if you actually look at this game objectively at all, with the time of year and circumstances, you should expect this to be a loss a large majority of the time. 

This is actually the opposite of objectivity but keep trying to convince yourself of it.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... you're the one who brought up Minnesota.  I guess you needed a straw man to argue against.

And recency bias is definitely a thing.

This is actually the opposite of objectivity but keep trying to convince yourself of it.

15 hours ago, Big Red Viking said:

Why does everyone think the rodent's in Minnesota is an automatic loss ?

Yep, I am the one who brought up Minnesota. At least read the whole thread before you throw out "straw man". That one is on your greatest hits album.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, Mavric said:

You'd be very surprised if we beat a team that we lost to by one point last year after being ahead by two scores in the fourth quarter?  OK.

Madison at night.  Crowd will be juiced.  We haven't beat Wisconsin since 2012.  Wisconsin has lost 1 night game in Madison the last 15 years (2016 vs #2 OSU in OT).

I don't think that Wisconsin will be a world beater by any means this season.  As BRB mentioned above it would be nice to have them earlier in the year while they might be working out some kinks with the philosophy change.  But knowing how Nebraska has performed the last 8 years in games like this gives me little confidence in a win.

• Plus1 3
20 hours ago, Loebarth said:

I have us winning the Minnesota game because their o-line is completely new while our defensive line and backers have more experience. Also, Minnesota has limited film to use for preparation. Our strength (defense) vs their projected weakness (o-line). Hence the win. 

It's also nice that they finally lost Mo Ibrahim.

I still think we lose that game just because their culture is fully established and it's our first game under a new staff, on the road at night.

Weird thing, though - we actually return more starters than Minnesota. Could be an intriguing game.

• Fire 1