Poll - How Many Wins - 2023 Season

2023 Win Total  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 8/19/2023 at 11:57 PM, DefenderAO said:

Losing to Iowa by 30, and Ohio State by 59, before laying an egg in the bowl game, seems to have some influence on perception. 

Following up that one 9 win season by fielding the most lifeless Neb team since the moon landing probably has something to do with it too. 

It’s almost like context matters and one 9 win season doesn’t outweigh the death spiral he put this program in. 

• Plus1 1
On 8/19/2023 at 10:53 PM, admo said:

Mike Riley won 9 games.  He is the last winning coach in Husker football history.  :)

Not many fans cared about it or supported it though.... that year they were still like....

The Last GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Riley was hard to not like...

Wasn't that season when NU got as high as 8 or maybe 7?  Unreal

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
11 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Riley would have done better if he wasn't forced to hire Bob Diaco.  That guys destroyed that season.  Would he have gotten us to glory land?  Probably not, but it would have made his last season better.

Obviously it would have been better without Diaco, but the offense trended down immediately when Tommy Armstrong wasn't carrying it. We don't have to pretend Riley was a good coach here - if you use the same methodology that had our 2021 team as a "good" 3-9, the 2016 team was a bad 9-4. I'd take a bad 9-4 over a good 3-9 any day of the week, but (admittedly with the benefit of hindsight) 2016 was not a step forward for the trajectory of the program. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

On 8/19/2023 at 12:41 PM, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

It does cause me to be hopeful for the long term of the Rhule era, it does not make me feel good for 2 weeks from now.

It takes a lot of nerve for you to come in here pretending to be an expert in these matters! Think ya better stick to your golfing in Arizona mister! 

:Fire: :Frosty:

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, teachercd said:

Riley was hard to not like...

Wasn't that season when NU got as high as 8 or maybe 7?  Unreal

Something like that.  So long ago.  Even beat a top 5 team MSU. 

Having replied, I am going to take the high road regarding Riley conversations.  Some ppl still fuming at him obviously....  So I will just zip it.  :)

4 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

would people be upset if this team only won 5 games but some of those wins were Col, Mich, Wisc, and Iowa? 

I don't think many of us will be upset with 4 or 5 wins if we are trending up.  I would be disappointed if we only got to 5 while beating the top teams on our schedule though.  Not sure how we would lose to 2 - 3 of La Tech, No IL, and Northwestern if we were good enough to beat Michigan...  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

would people be upset if this team only won 5 games but some of those wins were Col, Mich, Wisc, and Iowa? 

That would probably indicate that we started off the year struggling, then pulled out a huge upset against Michigan and then finished strong the last two games.  I would think most fans would be OK with ending the season strong and improving to the point where we beat both Wisc and Iowa.  But, I have a hard time seeing a win against Michigan and then all losses till we play Wisc.

• Plus1 1