What did we learn

15 minutes ago, 307husker said:

The "don't know how to win" is such a bunch of BS.  If it were an individual sport, maybe there's a valid thought but with 50+ guys contributing, "knowing how to win" is just bs.  

The young men played hard and made too many mistakes.  That has nothing to do with "knowing how to win".  It's a popular phrase that doesn't mean a damn thing.

You might find it as bad but it's true, just like in a company with some dnozzle bringing everyone down it happens.  I mean we have our recruited many schools including Minny over the years yet we continue to piss down our legs.  We are quickly becoming the Chicago Cubs of college football.

2 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

I think Thompson hits that wide open receiver on that deep first down throw.  I also don't think he throws the pick in the endzone and late it the game.  All that was needed from Thompson was to get him to run a little more.  I'd rather teach Thompson to run some more than to have to teach Sims to pass.

The Nebraska D looked good overall, but they dropped an easy INT late in the game that might have sealed it.  Minnesota didn't drop their easy opportunities. 

ah man, i completely forgot about that dropped pick due to our blunders.  Hoping we make some of the key plays for the taking in boulder next week.  I can't handle another 0-2 start

6 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

You might find it as bad but it's true, just like in a company with some dnozzle bringing everyone down it happens.  I mean we have our recruited many schools including Minny over the years yet we continue to piss down our legs.  We are quickly becoming the Chicago Cubs of college football.

Complete BS

This team has great leadership and played hard.  If anything, they're trying too hard and ended up "forcing" mistakes.  

Nobody was half assing the effort.  

It was a messy first game with a ton of new players and a new staff, and they still nearly won.

If you're surprised that a bunch of new players/coaches made some mistakes in their first game, look in the mirror as to the problem, not at the team.

16 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yes. It's a vicious cycle and it's seriously so f****** weird to me that our $72M coach went this route.

Not saying that Sims doesn't have potential. But in this game, he objectively played very bad. Like, he was a couple rungs above basically a Wildcat QB.

Now maybe he rises above that and turns heads. I could believe it could happen. But there might have been a lot we could have done out of the big sets with Casey at the helm while also mixing Sims in there.

It looks pretty rough for sure. Nebraska runs the QB because it's the only way they can move the ball. The RBs aren't particularly good or talented, and the line in front of them is abysmal at both run and pass blocking that also tends to get penalized frequently. 

We also lack talent and size at receiver, so the passing game is just not there. The running game with the RBs isn't there. That leaves one reliable option... which is bound to cause an injury.

The defense looked pretty good today though! Minnesota isn't good on offense, but frankly they're about the same as other B1G West teams. They'll keep Nebraska in games, so Nebraska in 2023 will resemble a version of Nebraska in 2022, just with more turnovers and a worse offense.

21 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yes. It's a vicious cycle and it's seriously so f****** weird to me that our $72M coach went this route.

Not saying that Sims doesn't have potential. But in this game, he objectively played very bad. Like, he was a couple rungs above basically a Wildcat QB.

Now maybe he rises above that and turns heads. I could believe it could happen. But there might have been a lot we could have done out of the big sets with Casey at the helm while also mixing Sims in there.

Yup all this talk of our NIL we couldn't have bought a better QB or kept Casey Thompson? This QB was part of the team's that got Rhules friend fired.

5 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

I don't think we have anyone else, we all saw Purdy last year and that was...underwhelming.

I'm sure there is a reason he isn't the starter now but I would give Haarberg a roll. How much worse could it be? Assuming Sims can't stop throwing picks that is. But the coaches are with these guys every day so what do I know.

3 minutes ago, 307husker said:

Complete BS

This team has great leadership and played hard.  If anything, they're trying too hard and ended up "forcing" mistakes.  

It was a messy first game with a ton of new players and a new staff, and they still nearly won.

If you're surprised that a bunch of new players/coaches made some mistakes in their first game, look in the mirror as to the problem, not at the team.

The problem is this first or 20th time this has happened the past several years and many of the guys on this roster were apart of those teams.

3 minutes ago, 307husker said:

Complete BS

Trying too hard is one way to make mistakes, but that doesn't apply to any of tonight's turnovers. Sims carelessly threw the ball into coverage on each of his INT's. Careless, not trying too hard. Grant hasn't worked hard enough to secure his five pressure points which is why he fumbled so easily. Careless, not trying too hard.

"Still nearly won" was the motto of Riley and Frost. This post and sentiment in particular would be so representative of Riley's first Husker game (BYU).

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, C-4 said:

Trying too hard is one way to make mistakes, but that doesn't apply to any of tonight's turnovers. Sims carelessly threw the ball into coverage on each of his INT's. Careless, not trying too hard. Grant hasn't worked hard enough to secure his five pressure points which is why he fumbled so easily. Careless, not trying too hard.

"Still nearly won" was the motto of Riley and Frost. This post and sentiment in particular would be so representative of Riley's first Husker game (BYU).

“Careless”? Are you kidding? You think these men don’t care? They have pride, honor and millions of reason$ to care. Making mistakes does not mean careless. Mistakes happen in elite sport when everything is on the line and the people involved couldn’t possibly care more. Careless is simply false.